What's new

China's "Milky Way One" super computer rank fifth in world

A petaflop is simply a measure of floating point operations per second. If I buy a 1000 1 teraflop systems(see Nvidia's GPU based desktop supercomputer) and network them, I will have a theoretical petaflop.
For running FFT algos the petaflop performance will not be realized, because of high communication fanout of FFT.
For some embarrassingly parallel algos like folding@home, something close to theoretical peak can be achieved, even over a slow communication network.
In fact, folding@home actually was the first "cluster" to achieve a petaflop. You can run the client on your system right now, and you would have added a few gigaflops to it.
I never said I would give you a petaflop for every conceivable algorithm or that it would qualify for Top500.
I am merely proposing to sell thousands of interconnected CPU/GPUs with a 10000 USD premium.

The number 2 system on the list, Roadrunner, is a purely COTS system. You can buy all the components from the market and build the exact same supercomputer.

bro...folding@home is not exactly what we'd want to bring out here as an implemented supercomp analogy...it's a massive networked ensemble of PS3s to carry out university researches...over an unreliable medium for more of a passive computing...as even though their collective power would be massive....they would still be passive...and limited by the constraints of the internet.

Dr. Anil Kakodkar...way back in 2006 boasted of having a model ready of being able to clock in petaflops...the limiting factor has always been the flux leakage at the connections that are employed parallely to integrate the clusters....he employed some mathematical geometric theory to solve this...I don't remeber what he called it...but TATA wasn't ready to finance this mega project of his...he got some funding from TATA and some from Infosys...I guess they are working on it...
I will try to fish out more on this...

yuan floating has anything to do with computing tech??? are you trying to make yuan overevaluating and crumble currently growing chinese economiy?? such disgusting minds of destroying others do exist in the mainstream of usa society, will be a disaster for humanity.

Overevaluting? Why don't you learn something about free trade and cheating. China is an economic cheater nation. Someday it will have to learn to play fair with others.

Overevaluting? Why don't you learn something about free trade and cheating. China is an economic cheater nation. Someday it will have to learn to play fair with others.

from someone lives in USA
this is soooooo funny
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why don't you learn something like "stop trolling"

Get your cold war mind set somewhere else !!

May i remind you its 2009 now, someday you need to wake up from

your good old dreams. :smitten::pakistan::china:

TruthSeeker is not entirely off-base here. The biggest "cheater" in the world is still the US, which use its implicit and explicit military strength to maintain the US$'s status as the reserve currency for the world.

By doing that - they get something constantly for nothing. And everybody else has no choice but to go along.

The second biggest "cheater" in the world - at this time - has got to be the People's Republic of China.

In some ways, this (thankfully expired) talk of "G-2" was really the talk of the "Gang of 2 thieves", in a way ... :azn:

Can this computer be used to simulate soft Nuclear Blasts , Or Predict the Direction of Global Economy ....

Back
Top Bottom