What's new

China’s J 10 vs French Rafale - Which would win?

J-10 has better radar and much longer range of missiles, so my bet is on J-10. When they really have to do a dogfight , the chance is 50/50, but chance of dogfight for any planes is half and half, this is why countries develop stealth planes and better radars to avoid it.
Long range missiles are typically large and clumsy, and easy to avoid for an agile fighter.
What you want is a missile which can kill its opponent at a longer range. Not neccessarily the same thing.
A ”better” radar is not neccessarily allowing for a higher kill probability.
It is the combination of radar and the opponents EW and other defensive measures which determines success.
EW capabilities are highly secret so noone is able to come up with a good comparision.

Last edited:
Rafale is superior in tech but if J 10 has better pilot J 10 can beat rafale

Electronic warfare is a difference in today's war I hope we get a J 16D type EW suit

Lol, your wishful thinking, keep dreaming.
Why create a thread if you have to shoo away responses you don't like? You should be grateful that people are giving attention to your thread and participating. And welcome all responses. You can make your opinions afterward based on the responses you got, assuming your intentions were sincere to begin with.

Both planes seem to be of comparable abilities to me. They can take each other on without creating one-sided results in every confrontation. This is though only true for the jets as they stand now.

How aggressively they evolve over time, and the supporting elements they have with them will decide who has the edge.

Iran might have been able to take out iraqi F-16s in the ten year war, but i doubt they would score kills when going against usaf F-16s. Cause usaf falcons fly with supporting elements. They'll have the eyes of E-3 sentry, and an EW aircraft in the vicinity. Latest ew pods. And here I'm excluding the likelihood that they would be accompanied by a pair of raptors and a few F-15s.

When we say planes x, y, z are fourth generation it means they're comparable and can own each other depending on the circumstances. The comparison makes more sense between gen 4 and gen 3. There we can expect consistent results because of the huge gap. Same with 4th vs 5th. But within a generation it's kinda futile to compare.

China has produced analogues of French air weapons like meteor, scalp etc. So both countries can put forward the same capability. Where we need to pay attention is the the array of Chinese awaacs planes and several special porcupine planes with antennas protruding outside. They and the accompanying j20s, and j16ds will make the difference when going against rafales. Since france doesn't have f35 its at a disadvantage vs china. Another possible deciding factor is the software/electronics of both countries' missiles, air-launched weapons.

Rafale F3R is much more capable jet fighter than Su-30 MKI.

But it remains to be seen how Indians can utilize it when the time comes.

Do they have a plan, tactics, and infrastructure to make the most of it?

Long range missiles are typically large and clumsy, and easy to avoid for an agile fighter.
What you want is a missile which can kill its opponent at a longer range. Not neccessarily the same thing.
A ”better” radar is not neccessarily allowing for a higher kill probability.
It is the combination of radar and the opponents EW and other defensive measures which determines success.
EW capabilities are highly secret so noone is able to come up with a good comparision.

Hi,

The atypical older larger BVR missiles---maybe clumsy---and as the terminal velocity was low---an agile fighter could avoid it.

OTOH---the PL15 is a modern day 21st century BVR missile. The designer had all the examples of previous and present day BVR missiles in front of it to build it.

We will find the answer in our first BVR combat.

What even makes you say that?

Pakistan was having superior fighter planes compared to IAF during the 1965 and 1971 wars.

It does not related to pilots capabilities... If you want than open a new thread... I will proved that.... PAF was having much advantages due to technically better aircrafts, Specialty in1965.... 1971 war - IAF got the MiG 21 to counter it..

Example -

Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon​

Last edited:
I do not know which is better.

Some people assume Rafale is better because western technology is thought to be superior.

But China has come a long way since 2001.

Only time will tell. But it is said that China took western technology from the Israeli Lavi plane project.

Pakistan was having superior fighter planes compared to IAF during the 1965 and 1971 wars.

It does not related to pilots capabilities... If you want than open a new thread... I will proved that.... PAF was having much advantages due to technically better aircrafts, Specialty in1965.... 1971 war - IAF got the MiG 21 to counter it..

Example -

Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon​

Does it matter what happened 50 years ago?
The active duty pilots and planes of today are all different on both sides.

China have been absent from military affairs for about 300 yrs, meaning China have not been a contributor to the science, crafts, and arts of warfare, not matter how much internet Chinese crow about Sun Tzu or the Korean War. But give credit where it is due.

Good => Excellent => Outstanding.

China's efforts at modernizing her armed forces, at the hardware front, have been borderline excellent-outstanding. We are looking from Desert Storm, where PLA leadership was gobsmacked, to today. So we are looking at 30 yrs of hard work to produce hardware that is with decreasing dependency on Russia. That is the weakness of most countries -- their defense must be imported. Those who can build their own can dictate first to their neighbors, then later others far off. The first priority is to build your own, next is to build qualitatively and China is catching up with the West. So to answer your question: Yes, Chinese hardware is good enough to create a credible deterrence.

But the greatest problem for the PLA is on the human front. I pointed this out many times and of course, the PDF Chinese dismissed it. They dismissed it because none of them ever served. None of them know what the military life is like. The problem for the PLA is human corruption, and it is STILL going on today. The worst is the selling of ranks and assignments. This type of corruption is like a cancer. It is deep, entrenched, and much more difficult to exorcise than the real medical cancer. There ARE, not just were, mid to high level officers who demands bribes from subordinates for advancement and favorable, read 'safe', assignments. There are flag officers who make millions from selling military favors. The few who were busted were sacrificial lambs by their peers. They got careless and too greedy. Those who escaped detection now devised better and deeper ways to hide their ill gotten gains deeper and further in foreign countries. The selling of ranks and assignments have incompetent and ill educated officers at all levels of the PLA, and their incompetency WILL manifest in a real war. No amount of shiny new toys can compensate for such bad leadership. Selling a rifle on the black market is not the same thing as selling a grade/rank. The rifle serve another master. The newly promoted officer still serves the PLA but this time, he is over his head.
reminds me a lot of Russia I remember in the early 2000's how Russia was considered a considered a peer to NATO and the US I can smell the BS even then
now with the invasion of Ukraine every thing is coming to light

Does it matter what happened 50 years ago?
The active duty pilots and planes of today are all different on both sides.

Yes, so not sure... How IAF pilots are inferior to pakistani Or any..

Is there any international rating or just fantasy thought..

Back
Top Bottom