What's new

China's growing military power not a threat, US Commander

6642.CN

BANNED
Reaction score
China's growing military power not a threat, says US Commander
By Leslie Tang | Posted: 21 February 2011 1730 hrs

HONG KONG: A senior US Navy commander said the United States does not see China's growing military power, as a threat. This comes as China prepares to launch a new aircraft carrier to sea, possibly as soon as next year.

Vice Admiral Scott Van Buskirk, Commander of the US 7th Fleet, said: "We don't view China as a direct threat. And I also mentioned that I think that, to view china as an adversary is the wrong lens to conduct business. It's not constructive. And if you do that, you bring pre-conceived notions to the table as you engage in them.

"So we choose not to do that. We choose not to view china's navy at least from my perspective, as a threat or as an adversary. Because it is about engagement and it is about establishing communications on the high seas."

The commander of the US Navy's 7th fleet, which is responsible for most of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, made the comments at an Asia Society event in Hong Kong.

Admiral Buskirk said he hoped China's development of its blue-water navy can help instil stability in the region.

He also brushed off suggestions that US presence in the region is shrinking, because of its sluggish economy and continued engagement in Afghanistan.

China's growing military power not a threat, says US Commander - Channel NewsAsia

China's growing military power not a threat, says US Commander
By Leslie Tang | Posted: 21 February 2011 1730 hrs

HONG KONG: A senior US Navy commander said the United States does not see China's growing military power, as a threat. This comes as China prepares to launch a new aircraft carrier to sea, possibly as soon as next year.

Vice Admiral Scott Van Buskirk, Commander of the US 7th Fleet, said: "We don't view China as a direct threat. And I also mentioned that I think that, to view china as an adversary is the wrong lens to conduct business. It's not constructive. And if you do that, you bring pre-conceived notions to the table as you engage in them.
"So we choose not to do that. We choose not to view china's navy at least from my perspective, as a threat or as an adversary. Because it is about engagement and it is about establishing communications on the high seas."

The commander of the US Navy's 7th fleet, which is responsible for most of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, made the comments at an Asia Society event in Hong Kong.

Admiral Buskirk said he hoped China's development of its blue-water navy can help instil stability in the region.

He also brushed off suggestions that US presence in the region is shrinking, because of its sluggish economy and continued engagement in Afghanistan.

China's growing military power not a threat, says US Commander - Channel NewsAsia

well there is at least one sane guy in US of A.

The voices sort of don't matter now. One minute a grave threat, the other minute no threat at all.
Basically they can change the tone with the wind so I would not recommend reading too much into lone voices such as those.

Kudos to this guy. :tup:

And please tell to his fellow countrymen that we are not a threat and stop the hostile perspective toward us. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom