What's new

China with at least 200 operational J-20 stealth fighter jets

With a thousand built so far, is production expected to increase beyond this or is this the anticipated production run rate for the foreseeable future?

Also, are the orders on the books still around 3000 in total; for the US and allies or just the US?

If the Chinese reaches a 1000 J-20 by 2030 (basically where the US is with the F-35 in 2023) and continue at a rate of 140 a year, could have 2400 J-20 by 2040 if they desired, by which time the 3000 F-35s will have been built and delivered. Which brings them close to parity with the USAF.
The Chinese aren’t getting anywhere near - even if they use free labor the aircraft don’t come free. The J-20 isn’t analogous to the F-35 - it is an expensive aircraft with slightly higher operating costs.

The F-35 isn’t just built in Fort Worth - there is the European factory in Italy and the Japanese line as well. It wad designed around the F-16 model which today is above 3000. There are redundancies built into the production pipeline now even though key issues exist. The Chinese for all their ingenuity and hard work are one nation - the F-35 is a 8 partner program with others coming online.

The Chinese aren’t getting anywhere near - even if they use free labor the aircraft don’t come free. The J-20 isn’t analogous to the F-35 - it is an expensive aircraft with slightly higher operating costs.

The F-35 isn’t just built in Fort Worth - there is the European factory in Italy and the Japanese line as well. It wad designed around the F-16 model which today is above 3000. There are redundancies built into the production pipeline now even though key issues exist. The Chinese for all their ingenuity and hard work are one nation - the F-35 is a 8 partner program with others coming online.
No one said it would be free or cheap, but if they are intend on spending over $10 Billion a year to procure J-20s, it not like their economy can’t support it.

Lots of DoD money has been squandered or lost track of every year, for decades, especially with the use of contractors. Then we have to look at how low the defense spending has been by NATO and US’s East Asian allies.

So how much really gets spend in the build up to counter China. China is building Type 055 Destroyers for $900 million, while the Flight 3 Arleigh Burkes are going to be initially over $3 billion each, and won’t even have the X band capability in the Spy-6 radar for the first half dozen ships.

Before 9/11 trillions has already being “lost”

Then in a recently audit, only 40% could be accounted for. Also take into account another $7 Trillion wasted in the GWOT.

Last edited:
If you consider the rate at which china is innovating her military aerospace industry - there is a good chance(speculation on my part) that China will cap its J20 fleet and move onto potentially an interim(unannounced of course) 5.5 gen platform before it unveils its 6th gen solution ? There is so much intellectual energy in China's aerospace development that they may want to tap into that to do an interim solution.

I dont count the J-31/35 as part of that interim - at best - the PLAN may buy into it ..

China wants to leapfrog and gain military superiority and it is currently capable of generating new designs and fielding themquickly. That is the variable we need to consider when looking at China's fleet renewal plans.
its normal considering the Asian Nato is forming up+even Indian is going to fly their fifth gen by 2030 (if thing goes accordingly).

That is quite impressive. What is the status of the Chinese turbofan engine, which was delayed and was suffering from problems (I think WS-15, but someone please correct me if not) - is it now in full mass production?

But is it faked? You are describing skepticism using alternative wording; a distinction without a difference.

You're being contrarion for no real reason.
I am just reacting to a stupid article.
You do not know if it fake, I do not know if it is fake.
What is a fact is that there are prescedents that shows that the serial numbers is not proof of anything.

Last edited:
I am just reacting to a stupid article.
You do not know if it fake, I do not know if it is fake.
What is a fact is that there are prescedents that shows that the serial numbers is not proof of anything.
Sure, but that can literally apply this to any thing you get from any outlet.

We have to use our own common sense in a lot of cases. J-20 production has been going on for a very long time, and China does have the manufacturing capacity for mass producing it. 200 is a reasonable number, maybe even on a low end.

Sure, but that can literally apply this to any thing you get from any outlet.

We have to use our own common sense in a lot of cases. J-20 production has been going on for a very long time, and China does have the manufacturing capacity for mass producing it. 200 is a reasonable number, maybe even on a low end.
I personally do not see any benefit of speculating on things where I have zero knowledge. I acknowledge that others do not share that point of view.

Back
Top Bottom