What's new

China set to lift remaining 40 million people out of poverty by 2020

Money doesn't buy a person face. Virtues do.

@+4vsgorillas-Apebane Sensei. Profound wisdom.

student-bow.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like US / American brands, but at the same time one should at least also support one's own, you know what I mean? Its just very odd for me to see that. When he said "Asian pride crap" to me, I felt slighted.Very insulted. Given, I am not an American, and just a foreign student here. Perhaps the fault was mine because from outside appearance he looks Japanese, but the way he talks and his mannerisms is completely Americanized. So it somewhat expected him to show some aspects of Japanese social etiquette.

That's I agree with you. Let's say, some people may be prone to a speedy lose of identity to the point of self-denial and mimicry when they are exposed to new social environments.

About choosing a certain brand, you seem to say that, in the case of mobile phone, you would buy two, and one would be US made and the other Japanese.

Let's say, hypothetically, you have to choose one from a certain product (you may not need a second one really, or, simply, may not have money to buy two) and you have two options: One US-made and one Japanese. For example, a car, a product that Japan is as good as, if not better, the US producers? So, you would have little excuse to say, "But I care about quality." Japanese quality is way better than US junk (pardon the language) in that league. You would buy (or already bought) US-made or Japanese?

That's I agree with you. Let's say, some people may be prone to a speedy lose of identity to the point of self-denial and mimicry when they are exposed to new social environments.

Agreed. And I can say as a foreign immigrant to US, I feel and understand this. Sometimes i am even sensitive if i can be understood as i actually have a very thick Japanese accent. So as an immigrant, one tends to be sensitive in how natural born Americans say things or points things out regarding immigrant point of views and the like. But I think it is a common phenomena for Asian-Americans to at least carry pride in their native country's culture. I mean, I've Chinese friends many of whom are ABCs (American Born Chinese, lol) , they speak Chinese fluently at home, and English outside and retain strong love for their Chinese heritage.

About choosing a certain brand, you seem to say that, in the case of mobile phone, you would buy two, and one would be US made and the other Japanese.
Let's say, hypothetically, you have to choose one from a certain product (you may not need a second one really, or, simply, may not have money to buy two) and you have two options: One US-made and one Japanese. For example, a car, a product that Japan is as good as, if not better, the US producers? So, you would have little excuse to say, "But I care about quality." Japanese quality is way better than US junk (pardon the language) in that league. You would buy (or already bought) US-made or Japanese?

I'm a quality buyer; I'm the type that would pay extra money so long as the product will last me a long long time. To answer your question about cars; I am a proud owner of a Toyota. :)

when i was a student, we would stand up while start of every class, and face to desk to say :"good day, teaher."
just like this pic shows.

Indeed.

I stand by the virtue of being humble. One major problem I have witnessed countless times is when someone makes some money and then acts like they are above others. They adopt a condescending attitude and flaunt their wealth ostentatiously.

I cannot help but associate your post with one of the greatest quotes from Master Kong Zi, who said,

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue. They are: Gravity, Generosity of soul, Sincerity, Earnestness, and Kindness."

I stand by the virtue of being humble. One major problem I have witnessed countless times is when someone makes some money and then acts like they are above others. They adopt a condescending attitude and flaunt their wealth ostentatiously.

I agree, however, I believe that if no one knows you are virtuous, then it will not bring you material gain. In this world, material gain is valued - for economic survival. There is no shame in taking ownership of your achievements and letting others know that you have done something useful.

I agree, however, I believe that if no one knows you are virtuous, then it will not bring you material gain. In this world, material gain is valued - for economic survival. There is no shame in taking ownership of your achievements and letting others know that you have done something useful.

Besides, in the globalized world, to be admired only because of some natural scene or ancient tradition is a sign of underdevelopment. People do admire, like they would admire animals in their natural settings, but, at the end of the day, they would not bargain their economized/technological/modern lifestyle for the nomadic/pristine one.

Modernity and development kills a lot of ancient values, perhaps, but, also dictates its own values. The issue is to be able to meaningfully connect modern values with ancient virtues. But, sacrificing development for the sake of ancient values is not the road to take. Hence, like the Indian's thread somewhere here about the elderly feeling lonely and thus committing suicide, well, if that's the price to pay for development, bring it on!

Besides, in the globalized world, to be admired only because of some natural scene or ancient tradition is a sign of underdevelopment. People do admire, like they would admire animals in their natural settings, but, at the end of the day, they would not bargain their economized/technological/modern lifestyle for the nomadic/pristine one.

Modernity and development kills a lot of ancient values, perhaps, but, also dictates its own values. The issue is to be able to meaningfully connect modern values with ancient virtues. But, sacrificing development for the sake of ancient values is not the road to take. Hence, like the Indian's thread somewhere here about the elderly feeling lonely and thus committing suicide, well, if that's the price to pay for development, bring it on!

What I would like to see is China's development being a comprehensive one. Something similar to Japan's, where traditional values are cultured and nurtured , retained, while modernizing. A nation that is ultra developed but has forgotten its cultural values is one that is bereft of a soul.

For example, look at many nations in Western Europe.

Wait, so I am an Indian now? make up your mind.

You can think whatever you want about that thread, but it looks likely that a lot of Chinese in your generation will face that same predicament in their retirement years. All because of the naive Chinese leaders who, like you, can't grasp the bigger picture. Pure simpleton.

Speaking of being a simpleton and buying face: cherry picking positive news about China and spamming them on Internet forums cannot buy face for your country. You may not face ridicule in a friendly environment like a Pakistani forum, but rest assured, the rest of the world who are not so pro-PRC will only laugh at your simpleton tactic. For someone who has access to the wider web, I dont know why you haven't realised this.

Wait, so I am an Indian now? make up your mind.

You can think whatever you want about that thread, but it looks likely that a lot of Chinese in your generation will face that same predicament in their retirement years. All because of the naive Chinese leaders who, like you, can't grasp the bigger picture. Pure simpleton.

Speaking of being a simpleton and buying face: cherry picking positive news about China and spamming them on Internet forums cannot buy face for your country. You may not face ridicule in a friendly environment like a Pakistani forum, but rest assured, the rest of the world who are not so pro-PRC will only laugh at your simpleton tactic. For someone who has access to the wider web, I dont know why you haven't realised this.

:tup:

You talk like a fervent missionary.

What I would like to see is China's development being a comprehensive one. Something similar to Japan's, where traditional values are cultured and nurtured , retained, while modernizing.

Uh what are you talking about lol. Japan has burger chefs, is obsessed with Hollywood and plays baseball as a national sport. Parts of Japanese technical vocabulary has been replaced by English transliterations. Anime involving only Japanese have people with blonde hair and blue eyes drawn. These are small things, but together they paint a rather different picture.

Uh what are you talking about lol. Japan has burger chefs, is obsessed with Hollywood and plays baseball as a national sport. Parts of Japanese technical vocabulary has been replaced by English transliterations. Anime involving only Japanese have people with blonde hair and blue eyes drawn. These are small things, but together they paint a rather different picture.

I agree. I at times find it almost unbearable how much English words are used in Japanese shows shown here -- even basic adverbs such as "before" and "after" are widely used instead of their Japanese equivalents.

And I have no doubt that China will be able to achieve her goals. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom