China reportedly starts building second aircraft carrier

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China reportedly starts building second aircraft carrier
  • 18 Jan 2014 20:23
China has started constructing the second of four planned aircraft carriers, a top government official said according to media reports on Saturday.

BEIJING: China has started constructing the second of four planned aircraft carriers, a top government official said according to media reports on Saturday.

The ship is under construction in the northeastern port of Dalian and will take six years to build, the reports said quoting Wang Min, Communist Party chief for Dalian's Liaoning province.

The country's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, was completed in September 2012 in a symbolic milestone for the country's increasingly muscular military.

Another two are in the pipeline, according to Wang, in a projection of power that could be seen as contradicting Beijing's long-stated policy of arming itself strictly for self-defence.

When the Liaoning went into service, Beijing and Tokyo were locked in a territorial row over the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea which China also claims and calls the Diaoyus.

The row continues to simmer, along with other sovereignty disputes with the Philippines and Vietnam.

Early this month, a Japanese newspaper said China was overhauling its military structure in order to strengthen its attack capability and secure air and naval superiority in the South China and East China seas.

The Liaoning carrier conducted its maiden mission in the South China Sea in January.

It followed an incident in December in which a US warship was forced to avoid a collision with a Chinese naval vessel, prompting Washington to accuse China of being the aggressor.

- AFP/ec

China reportedly starts building second aircraft carrier - Channel NewsAsia

2015.April China new Aircraft Carrier show out at DaLian shipyard! :china::bunny:

2nd Type001A Aircraft Carrier building photo out.:enjoy:
111-jpg.216911

333-jpg.216913

222-jpg.216912

4444-jpg.216914

5555-jpg.216915

Below is U.S Ford-class A.C building photo, for compare
141828yu5ybk8ryx5bs85-jpg.216738

Last edited:
2015.April China new Aircraft Carrier show out at DaLian shipyard! :china::bunny:

2nd Type001A Aircraft Carrier building photo out.:enjoy:
111-jpg.216911

333-jpg.216913

222-jpg.216912

4444-jpg.216914

5555-jpg.216915

Below is U.S Ford-class A.C building photo, for compare
141828yu5ybk8ryx5bs85-jpg.216738
Great Photo

Ok............nice photo.........BUT did this photo come from a reliable source, with some accompanying text, stating that this is actually the build of an Aircraft carrier, or some other type of flat top..........or is everyone jumping to conclusions again?
Anyway, i thought the Chinese had built a large wall at the shipyard to prevent anyone from being able to take photos and see the build of a carrier, if and when it is under construction!
Just trying to get to the true facts! :-)

Ok............nice photo.........BUT did this photo come from a reliable source, with some accompanying text, stating that this is actually the build of an Aircraft carrier, or some other type of flat top..........or is everyone jumping to conclusions again?
Anyway, i thought the Chinese had built a large wall at the shipyard to prevent anyone from being able to take photos and see the build of a carrier, if and when it is under construction!
Just trying to get to the true facts! :-)
You can compare it with Yuanyuehu, the 300000 ton oil ship (330 metres long) beside it.Then you can judge what type the ship in shiyard is.

Again flying ramped Aircraft carrier,Why not catapult launch and recovery AC this time?
Is it really difficult to make?

If you compare the pace at which India is building aircraft carriers China seems to be a bit behind. But then good news for Chinese and congrats.

If you compare the pace at which India is building aircraft carriers China seems to be a bit behind. But then good news for Chinese and congrats.

If you compare the pace at which India is assembling a completely empty half-ar$e-hull, busy at drawing MS PowerPoint while launching and re-launching it, China seems to be ok in aircraft carriers building . But then good news for Chinese and congrats.

Nah, fixed for ya!

Last edited:
a completely empty half-ar$e-hull, busy at drawing MS PowerPoint while launching and re-launching it
What's the point? I don't know much about aircraft carriers but do you mean Indian aircraft carriers aren't up to the standard? As far as I know about IN's aircraft carriers they aren't the best but pretty decent, launching Mig-29 and harriers and pretty good defensive equipment.

What's the point? I don't know much about aircraft carriers but do you mean Indian aircraft carriers aren't up to the standard? As far as I know about IN's aircraft carriers they aren't the best but pretty decent, launching Mig-29 and harriers and pretty good defensive equipment.

you just don't see the point do you?

an example:

VW builds Audi from everything inside out and outside in, ok?. Hence it's fair to say that VW is an auto manufacturer.

On the other hand, if I build an iron-box in my garden, and wait for VW, Benz, Toyota, Seat, Renault, Volvo, Hyuntai, Crysler, etc to supply me almost all the rest. hence:

1. Am I an auto manufacturer too?

If I am, then

2. What's differences btw VW and I? and

3. VW and I are in some kind of auto-building competition? A "Yes" to this point 3 is what you're arguing for in case of India.

China is building aircraft carriers as an aircraft carrier manufacturer;

whereas India is building hulls as a hull-manufacturer, ok, as a half-hull-manufacturer judged by the photos provided at the moment.

That's the difference!

Non-comparable.

Last edited:
What will be basic advantage of having both systems simultaneously?

None, the catapult can launch heavy aircraft without the need for ramp. Only reason you have a ramp is to help launch an aircraft if you have no catapult to assist its launch.

What will be basic advantage of having both systems simultaneously?
You are touching on a sensitive subject. Not just for technical considerations, but emotional.

Like it or not, a rising deck, aka 'ramp', method to launch an aircraft is a sign of inferior technical and financial factors. Not everyone is going to like it and that is why I said 'emotional'. Nobody like to hear his country is 'inferior' in anyway.

A 'ski jump' ramp is a technical and financial compromise to the superiority of the catapult method. The ramp is not as simple to design and constructed as its appearance seems to imply. In fact, the ramp method is nearly as technically complex to design as the catapult. What the ramp does is to give the aircraft an external assist in INITIAL pitch up attitude, as in getting as much air to the aircraft's underside as possible, which equal to rate of climb. However, at some point AFTER leaving the ship, the aircraft's own thrust (as in thrust to weight ratio) must be sufficient to sustain what the ramp gave.

The ramp's rise is the result of complex calculations that takes into consideration ship's available deck length, which is not true (total) deck length, apportioned deck length for ramp operation, and types of aircrafts that can be assisted by the ramp. The HMS Invincible ramp is seven degrees while other Royal Navy carriers have different rise angles.

HMS Ark Royal (R07)
HMS Ark Royal (R07), the last Invincible-class light aircraft carrier to be completed, is the fifth ship of the Royal Navy named in honour of the flagship of the English fleet that defeated the Spanish Armada. Ark Royal is slightly larger than her sister ships and during construction she was fitted with a steeper ski-jump ramp, (twelve degrees, as opposed to seven degrees of the Invincible) to improve STOVL take-off performance for the Harrier aircraft.
The disadvantages for the ramp method are many...

- Longer apportioned deck length for launch.

- Limited types of aircrafts that can be launched. For many aircrafts, such as cargo or heavy strike fighters, the launch may require most of available deck length, not just merely apportioned deck length.

- Limited weather operations than catapult. The ramp's rise blocks a considerable amount of usable moving air that could assist the aircraft. Whereas with the catapult, the aircraft is effectively secured to the deck and literally dragged to launch, making the catapult more flexible.

- Decreased aircraft weight for launch.

- Decreased tempo of air operations.

For the last but very important item -- tempo -- just in case you do not know the definition of the word, and not trying to be snarky...

tempo:
...the rate or speed of motion or activity; pace.

Because the ramp method require longer deck length to launch than the catapult, and because the deck already have limited real estate, to safely launch/recover aircrafts, the rate -- tempo -- of those operations must be even more regulated, meaning less margins of error, than the catapult method. And when there is an emergency, those activities will be even more restricted since the in-flight emergency (IFE) aircraft is an unknown variable in those deck operations because you do not know how much deck length does an IFE need to land and how much lateral room he needs to maneuver once he landed. You have to consider the possibility of the worst -- a crash -- so you want to have as little potential for collateral damages as possible.

But the worst disadvantage of the ramp came from the sum of all of the above: The ramp have a much greater effect on the quantity of NATIVE aircraft the ship can deploy, as in negative effect.

The word 'native' is important. It mean the TYPES of aircrafts that are permanently assigned to the ship. If you know, base on first yr university math, that you can only launch so-and-so rate of aircrafts for so-and-so types of missions those aircrafts are designed/designated to do, because of the ramp's limitations, it make no sense for you to deploy with excess, even including combat loss replacements. The Liaoning is reportedly capable of total at best 40 aircrafts of fixed and rotary types. The USS George HW Bush can carry 90 of both types. Size does matter but the catapult was a major factor in that quantity.

But despite the obvious technical and operational disadvantages of the ramp method, countries that dare to break into naval aviation uses it because they do not have the financial resources to create and sustain long term the technical expertise, in manpower and machineries, of the catapult method. Every single navy in the world have the potential to use all catapults, should they chose to make the leap into naval aviation, but not even the Soviet Navy during the peak of the Cold War, could afford the catapult method. Remember, the Liaoning was from the Russians.

Back
Top Bottom