What's new

China Halts Repatriation of N.Korean Defectors

Raphael

Reaction score
Country
China
The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - China Halts Repatriation of N.Korean Defectors

The Chinese government has halted the repatriation of North Korean defectors, apparently in response to South Korean requests and because it is angry that the North went ahead with its rocket launch.

The Yomiuri Shimbun on Wednesday cited an official from China's Liaoning Province as saying China, which had been repatriating up to 30 North Korean defectors a day since the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il in December, recently stopped doing so.

"North Korea failed to inform China of specific plans to launch its missile last Friday," another Chinese official told the Japanese daily, which added that Beijing’s anger at being kept in the dark played a role in the decision to stop the repatriations. "Although it is unclear when Beijing stopped repatriation, it is certain no more defectors were sent back to North Korea," the paper said.

China drew condemnation from international human rights groups by claiming the defectors were not political refugees but merely economic migrants searching for work.

But the daily said Beijing's stance appears to have changed since Chinese President Hu Jintao met his South Korean counterpart Lee Myung-bak on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit in Seoul last month, when Hu pledged to "respect" the South's request to stop repatriating them.

"China does seem to be unhappy about North Korea's recent behavior," said one government official here. "We are trying to verify whether China has stopped repatriating them."

Well, it looks like the politburo felt too much pressure and caved in to the Halyu mega-stars. S. Korea may lack conventional military power , but its silicon-enhanced celebrities have turned it into cultural superpower #1.

I personally welcome this move by China. Beside feeling sorry for those folks across the Yalu, anything that gives a good image to China is valued.

Way to go China, humanitarianism is not a monopoly of the west.

See, I don't really give a f*ck about image concerns or what Korean idols made of plastic want China to do because that's trivial. I hope the Chinese leadership made this decision on more substantial grounds. Maybe a tit-for-tat in response to N. Korean disobedience.

I am worried about refugees, because this gives N. Koreans more of an incentive to defect. The reality is that S. Korea might take a few token refugees, but they're not gonna want any more because they're highly xenophobic. Even Yanbian Koreans suffer a lot of discrimination in S. Korea.

See, I don't really give a f*ck about image concerns or what Korean idols made of plastic want China to do because that's trivial. I hope the Chinese leadership made this decision on more substantial grounds. Maybe a tit-for-tat in response to N. Korean disobedience.

I am worried about refugees, because this gives N. Koreans more of an incentive to defect. The reality is that S. Korea might take a few token refugees, but they're not gonna want any more because they're highly xenophobic. Even Yanbian Koreans suffer a lot of discrimination in S. Korea.

How would you feel if you're about to get shot in the head after fleeing a totalitarian regime? Chinese should have experienced this first hand. Being even a little empathetic will bring you many more friends than you have today.

Well, I might feel kinda bad, but not as bad as finding out that some guy on the internet is exploiting my plight to seize the moral high ground that he simply doesn't have.

Too simple too naive, those matters are decided not because someone demands the top brass in China to do so especially country like ROK, but they are serving China's interests.

China should get the ball in SK's court and ask them to take in the refugees from NK.

Well, I might feel kinda bad, but not as bad as finding out that some guy on the internet is exploiting my plight to seize the moral high ground that he simply doesn't have.

Chinese are the antithesis of moral high ground. Only you would complain about a decision to defer refugees who otherwise would knowingly have himself and his entire family executed.

rotfl @ euro swines commending china over "humanitarianism"

I guess they would know a lot about it since they've been denying it to people for centuries

Back
Top Bottom