What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Indeed ... I only wonder, why the PLAAF does not directly replaces the Su-30MKK with J-16 in the 9th Brigade and assign J-20s to the 7th. :what:

Thats's because PLA want to hide the electronic/performance features of the fighters they plan to depend on in wartime.

In east China sea there are lots electronic warfare planes there from both sides everyday, all try to steal the electronic signature and other features (I dont know how to say the term in english but you get the idea) of enemy's fighters to gain an upper hand in wartime.

To PLA, Su-30/35 are frontline fighter and conduct daily patrol mission in peacetime with US fighters, etc, since Su-3x are Russian fighters that exported to all over the world, therefore there is little point to hide their performance/electronic signatures etc , the US may already know that.

The 9th brigade's mission include both patrol in peacetime and strike/interception mission in wartime, to conduct their patrol mission, they need patrol fighters: either imported fighters or somewhat outdated fighters.

Thats why you only see old school PLA fighters or imported fighters whenever there are some peacetime interception made in the news, they certainly would not want to put their newly induced J-20/J-16 in east China sea frontline for enemy to inspect.

173806ix40wqwlqt8zdlj7.png

How many jets are there in a fully equiped airforce brigade? I read that 3 former regiments combined to make up 1 brigade. So in full strength there should be 24 X 3 = 72 aircraft. Correct me if I am wrong.

So how many J-20s are there now that PLAAF has made the statement, 12, 24 or 36? (assumed equal numbers of J-20 and J-16 in a brigade).

Thats's because PLA want to hide the electronic/performance features of the fighters they plan to depend on in wartime.

In east China sea there are lots electronic warfare planes there from both sides everyday, all try to steal the electronic signature and other features (I dont know how to say the term in english but you get the idea) of enemy's fighters to gain an upper hand in wartime.

To PLA, Su-30/35 are frontline fighter and conduct daily patrol mission in peacetime with US fighters, etc, since Su-3x are Russian fighters that exported to all over the world, therefore there is little point to hide their performance/electronic signatures etc , the US may already know that.

The 9th brigade's mission include both patrol in peacetime and strike/interception mission in wartime, to conduct their patrol mission, they need patrol fighters: either imported fighters or somewhat outdated fighters.

Thats why you only see old school PLA fighters or imported fighters whenever there are some peacetime interception made in the news, they certainly would not want to put their newly induced J-20/J-16 in east China sea frontline for enemy to inspect.

But if both are updated anyway, why this unusual change?

AFAIK the 7th had J-7E until mid 2017. ... So we had:

- the 7th with J-7E now being replaced by J-16s
- the 8th with J-10A/AS
- the 9th with Su-30MKK (eventualyl being replaced by J-20)

My point is that it would seem to make more logical sense on paper to replace the 9th MKK with J-16 if both are updated anyway especialyl if the 7th and 9th are both operated off the same base. Or does anyone know if the 9th have a particular history that might single them out for a prestige role, overriding operational logic?

Deino

But if both are updated anyway, why this unusual change?

AFAIK the 7th had J-7E until mid 2017. ... So we had:

- the 7th with J-7E now being replaced by J-16s
- the 8th with J-10A/AS
- the 9th with Su-30MKK (eventualyl being replaced by J-20)

My point is that it would seem to make more logical sense on paper to replace the 9th MKK with J-16 if both are updated anyway especialyl if the 7th and 9th are both operated off the same base. Or does anyone know if the 9th have a particular history that might single them out for a prestige role, overriding operational logic?

Deino

Well, I think that is more to do with the tradion of the force, due to the difference of history/training/excerise performance, there are elite/ace combat force and there are average force, elite force can get their equipments better and update more freqently than the regular force.

I think 9th brigade should be considered as an elite brigade in PLA due to their history or training/exercise/mission performance so the PLA want to give them the best fighters they get.

Note that 9th brigade is also the first few force who recieved Su-27 back in 1990s, so it is definitely an elite force who get priority in PLA.

But that's my concern ... this video is not from this alleged "new" unit - by their serial 78272 from the well known unit - and also the others are from the parade and from Zhuhai...

So are these "merely" J-20As from the well known unit temporarily assigned to on operational mission at Wuhu?

Let me see If I can find more image of this news and I will quote you and then we can discuss it better.

Back
Top Bottom