What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

I don't think these were all that large: Batch 01 aka J-10B) was said to comprise only about 54-56 aircraft, Batch 02 had indeed at least 75 aircraft (but I somewhere read these are always even numbers) abut for Batch 03 I only know 03.28 as the highest number, whereas Batch 04 has 04.40

If batch 02 reached 75 aircraft, why wouldn't subsequent batches also have 75 or more?

S4fj9Vz.png

If batch 02 reached 75 aircraft, why wouldn't subsequent batches also have 75 or more?

S4fj9Vz.png

Thanks for the image, but the same question reversed: Is is legit to assume that they are all the same even if we don't have any evidence and even more this high number does not fit to the units we know?

Given they are indeed all with 75, then we have at least three Batches (aka 02, 03 & 04) with 75 Aircraft each = 225 + 56 J-10B (Batch 01) = 281 at all.

This would be enough for 10 Brigades (with each 28 single seater) ... problem is, that we only have 7 Brigades (= est. 196-200 ac.) confirmed, which would better fit to lower numbers like about 56 in batch 01, 76 in Batch 02 and about 40 in Batches 3 & 4 making 212 J-10B/C alltogether.

I think the designation J-10C was never in question - even three years ago - esp. since it is written all over the aircraft's fuselage, wherever You see a construction number. I think - must I must admit, I'm not entirely sure anymore - you were claiming already three years ago, all J-10C were using the WS-10B, which was clearly not the case.

Anyway, You posted the first image of a Batch 05 J-10C and what surprises me, is that CAC indeed changed the engines right in the middle of Batch 04, so that there are AL-31FN and WS-10B powered ones within the same Batch.

View attachment 610715
You misunderstood me, J10c is designed for using WS10B. Besides all the changes which have been well discussed here from J10B , the fundamental or underlying change is the use of WS10B. Some early production of J10c were show n of using the Russian engine for whatever the reasons it might be, but its not so difficult to change them back to the WS10B. Why would any brigade want to have two types of J10c with different maintenance and battle performance deployed?

Also I read somewhere that every batch is a fix number which is 54. Apart from for the reason from the production side, it is fixed so it can be easily delivered/distributed to the brigades. 6 for 9 brigades or so on. I could be wrong but I think a normal brigade is 18 J10c , or a reinforced brigade is 18 plus 6 (or 8)J10s. So you see this number 54 is not an any random number but rather a magical one I would say.

You misunderstood me, J10c is designed for using WS10B. Besides all the changes which have been well discussed here from J10B , the fundamental or underlying change is the use of WS10B. Some early production of J10c were show n of using the Russian engine for whatever the reasons it might be, but its not so difficult to change them back to the WS10B. Why would any brigade want to have two types of J10c with different maintenance and battle performance deployed?

Also I read somewhere that every batch is a fix number which is 54. Apart from for the reason from the production side, it is fixed so it can be easily delivered/distributed to the brigades. 6 for 9 brigades or so on. I could be wrong but I think a normal brigade is 18 J10c , or a reinforced brigade is 18 plus 6 (or 8)J10s. So you see this number 54 is not an any random number but rather a magical one I would say.

Then I apologise and I indeed misunderstood your post.
Anyway, this makes perfect sense ... with the exeption that the second Batch was indeed seen with higher numbers.

Thanks for the image, but the same question reversed: Is is legit to assume that they are all the same even if we don't have any evidence and even more this high number does not fit to the units we know?

Given they are indeed all with 75, then we have at least three Batches (aka 02, 03 & 04) with 75 Aircraft each = 225 + 56 J-10B (Batch 01) = 281 at all.

This would be enough for 10 Brigades (with each 28 single seater) ... problem is, that we only have 7 Brigades (= est. 196-200 ac.) confirmed, which would better fit to lower numbers like about 56 in batch 01, 76 in Batch 02 and about 40 in Batches 3 & 4 making 212 J-10B/C alltogether.

These are the brigades that are known to operate J-10B/C right? Did I miss any?

78x1x
78x6x
78x7x ?
78x8x

61x3x
61x6x
66x7x
67x2x
68x3x
74x2x

How do you know the total number of aircraft per brigade?

If you were the Chinese government, would you reveal the names, serial numbers, and locations of each of your J-10B/C brigades?

Do you realize the US military can attack each of your brigades in a preemptive strike?

Has it ever occurred to you that some brigades might be located underground?
https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-01.html

These are the brigades that are known to operate J-10B/C right? Did I miss any?

78x1x
78x6x
78x7x ?
78x8x

61x3x
61x6x
66x7x
67x2x
68x3x
74x2x

Thanks for adding a few missing units, namely the 170th, the 177th and the 2nd Air Brigades. For the 177th so far I have no image nor report (78x8x) but i agree it is not unlikely. But since the first ones are only trials units, I don't expect them to be at a full Brigade's complement (esp. while flying also other types)

78x1x = 170. Brig
78x6x = 175. (not known by my list ??)
78x7x ? = 176. Brig
78x8x = 177. Brig. = 4x 6-8 = 24-32

61x3x = 2. Brig
61x6x = 5. Brig
66x7x = 56. Brig
67x2x = 61. Brig
68x3x = 72. Brig
74x2x = 131. Brig = 6x 28 = 168

In summary: 192 - 200 J-10B/C ... still very similar to my estimation

How do you know the total number of aircraft per brigade?

Agreed, this is not entirely known, but if you take the highest number counted and esp. the number of shelters, the 28 for a combat ready brigade (single seaters only) is not that far off.

If you were the Chinese government, would you reveal the names, serial numbers, and locations of each of your J-10B/C brigades?

Surely not, but I think via several spotter, official reports and GoogleEarth I'm sure we have quite most of them identified.

Do you realize the US military can attack each of your brigades in a preemptive strike?

Has it ever occurred to you that some brigades might be located underground?
https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-01.html

First, why "Your brigades"!?? ... I'm a German, just to remind :-) ... anyway, such strikes are not possible out of the blue and given the most recent experience, these underground are no longer that important as they were in earlier periods. As such, the chance that there are several Brigades missing only since they are based underground and that these are all at a strength of say 35-40 aircraft is IMO slightly slim.

Best;
Deino

Back
Top Bottom