What's new

ChangKong-1 Unmanned Aerial Vehicle & Target Drone

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
ChangKong-1 Unmanned Aerial Vehicle & Target Drone

ck1_01.jpg

The ChangKong-1 is a radio-controlled , jet-powered subsonic unmanned aerial vehicle developed from the Soviet Lavochkin La-17C.

Developed by Nanjing Institute of Aeronautics in the late 1960s, the ChangKong-1 has been in serving with the PLAAF since the late 1970s for target drone and nuclear air sampling roles.

The PRC obtained a small number of the Lavochkin La-17 radio-controlled, ramjet-powered target drone from the Soviet Union in the late 1950s.

These drones were being sued for airborne- and air-defence weapon testing and practicing. Acquisition of additional units was unsuccessful due to Moscow’s decision in 1960 to stop all of its technical aids to the PRC. This forced the PLA to develop its own indigenous target drone ChangKong-1.

The ChangKong-1 project began in the early 1960s, with the development work carried out by the PLAAF Weapon Test & Training Base. The chief designer of the programme is General Zhao Xu, who is known as ‘the Father of Chinese UAV’. Several La-17C examples were dissembled by Chinese engineers for study and reverse engineering.

Because of the PRC’s incapability to produce a suitable ramjet engine, the indigenous target drone was powered by a Wopen-6 (WP-6) turbojet engine originally developed for the Shenyang J-6 (MiG-19 Farmer) fighter.

The ChangKong-1 successfully flew in December 1966, but the development programme was severely disrupted by the political impact of the ‘Culture Revolution’ in the 1960s~70s.

The ChangKong-1 development was resumed by Nanjing Institute of Aeronautics (now Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, NUAA) in the 1970s and the development did not finish until 1976, eight years after the project began. The ChangKong-1 entered PLAAF service in the late 1970s for weapon testing and air defence training.

ChangKong-2

The ChangKong-2 supersonic target drone was derived from the ChangKong-1. The CK-2 programme began in the early 1990s in response to the PLAAF’s requirement for a supersonic target drone to test its new generation air-to-air missile.

No detailed information on the CK-2 is available, but it is understood that the drone first flew in the early 1990s, and its first successful supersonic flight took place in early 1995. The drone features a digital flight control, which was seen as a major breakthrough in China's UAV technology.

Specifications

Dimentions: Wingspan 7.5m; Length 8.435m; Height 2.955m
Weight: Empty 2,000~2,500kg; Fuel 600~840kg
Speed: 850~900km/h
Range: 600km
Flight endurance: 70min (low level); or 45~60min (high-level)
Service ceiling: 10,000~18,000m
Operational altitude: 500 ~ 5000m

ChangKong-1 Unmanned Aerial Vehicle / Target Drone - SinoDefence.com

I am from Nanjing originally and both of my parents as well as my maternal grandfather worked at the Nanjing Aeronautics and Space University. As a kid they would often take me for walks to the campus. Sometimes I would get to see the so called "wu ren ji", or unmanned drones that they use as targets for the PLAAF on display. I remember that these things used to look very big to me when I was a kid and also thought that they were a bit strange since their wings were so small and thin compared to other airplanes.

Thanks for bringing back some childhood memories :azn:!

Back
Top Bottom