What's new

Career Advice for the Young Members

I think even graduating in top ten does not guarantee you a top class job. I have seen some top class graduates struggling by getting confused between different jobs in searching for that umph factor which really challenges them...sadly by the time the realities of life catch up to them they have wasted a lot of time while the more modest ones have strongly established themselves in the relevant industries.
Dreams are good but one should have their feet planted firmly on ground.
Success is not possible without paying your dues in the form of hard work.

Graduating from a good school with decent enough grades puts you on a relatively even footing with the competition.
From then onwards it is your mannerism, positive attitude and a commitment to work hard and do your best which secures the really good opportunities.

In the ensuing interviews you guys shall embark upon, the most critical thing being judged by the panel is the attitude and nature of the person, which is reflected in the course of the interview.

Technical knowledge is of course very important and for every job there is different criteria about what level of technical expertise are required.

However,if i have a guy who is 9 on knowledge and 6 on attitude, i will always prefer the one who is 7 on knowledge but 8 on attitude.
i agree with you in totality.

One must be less lusty and more devoted, guys who are manage to get guud aggregates tends to shuffle between a guud job and a 'more' guud job, and in the process lose everything.

And the attitude thing that you mentioned is appreciable, attitude matters the most, skill, though can be refined later.

P.S. As a simpler option, Join the Army and die young.:pop:

Hi,

Qsaark started a wonderful thread---and immediately it got derailed. The purpose of the thread was forgotten and other issues came up.

There is no such thing as brain drain---as many good people that you send out---so many good people come back as long there are oppurtunities. If I had the power, I would move everyone out of pakistan to go out and learn how the rest of the world lives and operates and then come back to make your home a better place. Learning something new is a wonderful experience.

Others who will not come back are more important---for they will be your ambassadors wherever they live plus they will be sending foreign exchange.

One of the field that will stay in demand ---is the 4 years nursing program---RN's registered nurses are highly in demand and are paid very well. It is a 4 years degree program after high school here in the u s. Here is a program that during your study, you can also get a job at the hospital as well.

Now that is not where it ends---suppose you wanted to become a doctor and could not---there is a one or two years program after the 4 years degree that qualifies you as a physicians assistant----that job would pay you anywhere $7000----10000 per month depending where you are at. Physicians assist is someone you maybe refered to on your initial hospital visit.

Similiarly the RN position would pay anywhere from $5000 to $7500 per month depending upon your speciality.

Can i join canadian army as officer.I am engineer and recently got immigration. Is there any age limit?

If I had to change my IT career right now, I'd go for Finance.

Controlling the money is a prestigious position in any organization. Not to mention you probably earn twice as much as your counterparts in the other departments.

Controlling the money is a prestigious position in any organization. Not to mention you probably earn twice as much as your counterparts in the other departments.

While, Financial Controllers, analyst, accountants, CFO's and the rest of the bean counting lot are valued member of any organization especially after the introduction of Sarbox. If you want to be taken seriously and earn more money you have to be a revenue generator - not support cost. Typically, salaried employees do not get rich unless they receive stock options or incentive bonus / commission. Most companies do not offer incentives to support staff with the exception of senior employees. Plus, bean counting is really boring …zzzzz…:D

Would no one from Pakistan answer my question???? it is on the previous page.
Did I not reply you? Nothing can come in your way if you really know your subject. Why thinking of Pakistan Railway or PIA? I'll adivse (well these days it is rather unacceptable for many, so I'll suggest) you to continue your studies, do a PhD, get some good working experience in companies such as Boeing and than, only than come back to serve your country. You'll not be taken seriously if you come back with a BS or MS, do a PhD.

Hi Bane Blade,

You need to find a way to do your MS or Phd---you have a degree in engr---try to get to canada on immigrant visa---once you get your MS or Phd---life will be easier in pakistan.

I have a better suggestion to making more money. Start your own business!!

While, Financial Controllers, analyst, accountants, CFO's and the rest of the bean counting lot are valued member of any organization especially after the introduction of Sarbox. If you want to be taken seriously and earn more money you have to be a revenue generator - not support cost. Typically, salaried employees do not get rich unless they receive stock options or incentive bonus / commission. Most companies do not offer incentives to support staff with the exception of senior employees. Plus, bean counting is really boring …zzzzz…:D
True that... The big guys up there think that they can keep making the revenues without the support functions. When it comes to bonuses and increments n all, the support guys are the last to be considered :P

In IT there's a new trend. IT says I'm your strategic partner, and take me along with all of your strategic decisions. Of course it largely depends upon the organizational culture. If IT would be viewed as a cost center only then nothing would change. Which is the case for most of the Pakistani organizations.

There is no such thing as brain drain---as many good people that you send out---so many good people come back as long there are oppurtunities. If I had the power, I would move everyone out of pakistan to go out and learn how the rest of the world lives and operates and then come back to make your home a better place. Learning something new is a wonderful experience.

Others who will not come back are more important---for they will be your ambassadors wherever they live plus they will be sending foreign exchange.

Don't agree with these entirely, but I won't derail the thread by replying in detail. Just in short, Pakistan needs its people right now, especially those with external experience. I would not send everyone out of the country, I would bring people in.

Can i join canadian army as officer.I am engineer and recently got immigration. Is there any age limit?

If you did your engineering anywhere except certain recognized US universities, you will probably have to do some courses in Canada to meet the engineering standards. As for joining as an officer, the Canadian Forces welcome people with degrees with open arms. You can even become a Pilot Officer in the Air Command with a degree in engineering from a non-military university (which is impossible in the Pakistan, unfortunately).

You will have to live here for three years to become a Canadian Citizen, after that, if you are not too old, you can definitely try. Minimum age is 18, maximum depends on your job, but generally, below 30 is fine.

I can't possibly see how a Muslim would justify being a member of the Canadian Forces (operational), but that is my problem and a completely different issue.

Did I not reply you? Nothing can come in your way if you really know your subject. Why thinking of Pakistan Railway or PIA? I'll adivse (well these days it is rather unacceptable for many, so I'll suggest) you to continue your studies, do a PhD, get some good working experience in companies such as Boeing and than, only than come back to serve your country. You'll not be taken seriously if you come back with a BS or MS, do a PhD.

Thanks alot for that, I was thinking of doing something more managerial which would help me get into admin and if people support me even as a transport minister however that is a dream I have targeted so I am only hoping it goes well (I wouldn't like people to joke about it because I get alot of that from my friends and family)

I honestly suggest after going to many places Dubai, UK, Qatar, Europe etc etc....Pakistani Colleges and Universities are among the best in world....Indians have their own best...stop spending huge sums of amount in studying in UK or USA universities.

I assure Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indian, Iran university education standards have risen massively. why waste money going abroad?

Education is a business nowadays whether it be US UK or Pakistan.
I honestly suggest after going to many places Dubai, UK, Qatar, Europe etc etc....Pakistani Colleges and Universities are among the best in world....Indians have their own best...stop spending huge sums of amount in studying in UK or USA universities.

I assure Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indian, Iran university education standards have risen massively. why waste money going abroad?

Back
Top Bottom