What's new

Canadians, Americans agree border should stay: polls

ao333

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Canadians and Americans share the view that good fences make good neighbours.

When it comes to proposing that the Canada-United States border be erased, only 22 per cent of Canadians and 16 per cent of Americans in two recently conducted, separate polls said they agree with the idea.

The results are part of research unveiled by the Association for Canadian Studies that also indicates average Americans don’t take Canada as seriously as their northern neighbours rate the U.S.

Thirty-nine per cent of Americans surveyed in a poll in February said they rank Canada as “vitally important” to them, compared with 70 per cent of Canadians polled in a separate survey earlier this month who said the same about the U.S.

On the other hand, fully 92 per cent of Americans say they hold a favourable opinion of Canada, compared with 72 per cent of Canadians stating they view the U.S. favourably, according to the polling results.

“Neither country seems to have any desire to get rid of the border,” said Jack Jedwab, executive director of the Montreal-based association. “We’re clearly not where the European Union is.”

As to views on the relative importance of each country: “There would appear to be a bigger minority of Canadians who have a more mixed view of the United States, such as its politics, for example. Whereas the bigger country looking at us sees us as a quiet and likeable neighbour that isn’t troublesome,” Mr. Jedwab said.

When Americans were asked which country they viewed most favourably, they chose Canada, followed by Great Britain (88 per cent) and Germany (82 per cent). For their part, Canadians chose Australia and Great Britain (tied at 85 per cent), followed by Germany (78 per cent) and then the U.S.

Of countries that Americans see as having vital importance to the interests of the U.S., China (70 per cent), North Korea (59 per cent) and Iran (57 per cent) rated higher than Canada.

However, 38 per cent of Canadians polled agreed that China is “vitally important” to them, followed by 31 per cent saying Great Britain is, 18 per cent Afghanistan, 17 per cent Iran and 16 per cent Mexico.

Francophone Canadians feel more strongly than non-francophones when it comes to Canada remaining neutral over U.S. conflicts abroad.

Fifty-eight per cent of all respondents said Canada should be neutral when the U.S. has conflicts with other countries, while 73 per cent of French-speaking respondents said the country should not get involved.

On the health-care front, 40 per cent of Americans said they agree that Canada has a better health-care system than the U.S.

Canadians, Americans agree border should stay: polls - The Globe and Mail

I didn't expect you guys to rank 1st on America's ladder of importance and 2nd on ours... It would appear that you guys mean quite a lot to the Americas and Africa. I was going to troll Indians on their insignificance and their long-held belief that they matter, but I don't have the time to waste today.

Being "cared about" by the US is a target painted on your head.

Being cared about by Canada is cool.

What's the point of the article? There's absolutely nothing surprising in it.

What's the point of the article? There's absolutely nothing surprising in it.

Well, it does mean that Indians don't come to mind when Americans are asked "Which country matters to you?" But I guess that's not surprising either.

Well, it does mean that Indians don't come to mind when Americans are asked "Which country matters to you?" But I guess that's not surprising either.

Didn't occur to me to ask who was missing.

I was going to troll Indians on their insignificance and their long-held belief that they matter, but I don't have the time to waste today.

Good call.

Calling the US-Canadian border a 'Border' is a shame to the word 'border'.

Come and see how a border should be at Wagah :lol:

Haha, compared to the one we have with North Korea?

Comparable. But our border is unique in the sense on Diwali or Eid you have sweets and hugs being exchanged and immediately the next day there will be shelling and machine gun fire.

Doesnt matter..the amount of trolling u do by bringing indians needlessly into a discussion which doesnt include india only shows "Which country matters to you?"..:bad:

and dont bother to answer "as u dont have time to waste"

:whistle:Whoa . Some people sure do get all excited and blushed in the face that the USofA actually thinks about them :) Now I can understand why some countries felt sooooo liberated by the Yanks in WW2 that they were having orgasms as the Yankee soldiers marched in :rofl:

Funny, people post a long article absolutely unrelated to India and add his expert opinion to show that they don't have time to waste on India an Indians. :/

Oh wait, it's his royal English blue blood and apathy for us former slaves! :lol:

Well, it's a shame that the border wait times are so slow, but I guess security is served best when there's a fence.

Back
Top Bottom