What's new

Can we fight poverty without government help?

Muhammad Saftain Anjum

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
About 40% of Pakistani population is poor by global standards.
Our 22 million children are out of schools.

Pakistani Governments (both military & civilian) have miserably failed to raise the living standards of Pakistanis.
And given the political turmoil in the country,there is no hope from government to fight the poverty in future also.

So how can we improve the situation of our poor people without the hope of government help?
Is there any example in world history where rich people of society brought their poor brothers and sisters out of poverty without governmental help?
@Sainthood 101 @ziaulislam
We need to work out a grand strategy.
There are numerous NGOs distributing food among masses but this is extremely short term solution.

Every one wants to work for his/her people,but we need a grand strategy to work keeping in view the long term solutions against poverty.

As the experience in India and China has shown, people usually succeed in fighting poverty when the government looses its grip on the economy. So, the short answer is yes and it is probably a prerequisite.

Bangladesh is doing something like this with NGOs, their NGOs are responsible for a lot of socio-economic changes in Bangladesh like education, micro-loans etc
I think @Bilal9 can talk more about it

Yes Thanks for the thoughtful tag. To whet the appetite for people that are interested to know, I am including two links for Grameen and BRAC (Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee), these are two of the largest NGO's globally. They also have collaborations with EDHI foundation in Karachi. A bit weak due to Ramadan Kareem, so please pardon my inability to write up a storm like I normally do.

Distributing food among the poor is a temporary solution, what helps is giving them micro-loans (with peer parosee guarantees) so they can start small businesses like supplying eggs, milk, fruit and other staples to the market and expand their micro businesses eventually. It can also work for business services like cellphone-calls and written transcription for official business in rural areas too.

Last edited:
Yes Thanks for the thoughtful tag. To whet the appetite for people that are interested to know, I am including two links for Grameen and BRAC (Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee), these are two of the largest NGO's globally. They also have collaborations with EDHI foundation in Karachi. A bit weak due to Ramadan Kareem, so please pardon my inability to write up a storm like I normally do.

all good and thanks for the links @Muhammad Saftain Anjum

About 40% of Pakistani population is poor by global standards.
Our 22 million children are out of schools.

Pakistani Governments (both military & civilian) have miserably failed to raise the living standards of Pakistanis.
And given the political turmoil in the country,there is no hope from government to fight the poverty in future also.

So how can we improve the situation of our poor people without the hope of government help?
Is there any example in world history where rich people of society brought their poor brothers and sisters out of poverty without governmental help?
@Sainthood 101 @ziaulislam
We need to work out a grand strategy.
There are numerous NGOs distributing food among masses but this is extremely short term solution.

Every one wants to work for his/her people,but we need a grand strategy to work keeping in view the long term solutions against poverty.

It's really easy:

- Install a puppet govt (Official bhikari shahbaz).
-Keep begging for foreign aid
-Then default on said loans
-Start selling state assets to payback interests
-Surrender nukes

Ok seriously, on topic:

1. Pakistan is one of the most charitable nations on earth. In the last 40 years, corruption/terrorism was widespread, what do you think fed the Pakistanis?

2. Allah is the provider, have you ever heard any Pakistani dying of hunger in recent times?

3. Have faith. Stop trying to create a narrative of fear, hoplessness, dont use tactics from zionists playbook.

4. Donate to charities such as Saylani, Edhi and Panah gahs.

Imran Khan started sehat card, stipends for poor families, shelters and food for poor and labourers.

Unfortunately, PDM dacoits will stop all these welfare schemes as they are in power now, and their sole mission is to loot Pakistan and be slave of west.

Last edited:
Yes. The key is to increase the productivity and the skillsets of the population, enabling them to earn.

I'll write more about this tomorrow InshaAllah.

Basic gist is...

1. Earn money yourself and spend it on local businesses and products.

2. Help others to make themselves better earners. Help people train in skills, help businesses with marketing, help local small businesses become exporters.

Take your shoe shine guy. Most charge 50-100rs? How many pairs can they do in a day? How many people use thier services? If every other person had 100rs in thier pocket to spare the shoe shine guy will have a bigger market. He'll have queues, he'll work harder and make more money.

Now assume for a second that shoe shine guy gets some training and investment. He can buy a sign. He can buy a machine to polish your shoes so he's less tired. He can guy some chairs and a canopy and look a bit fancier. Perhaps he could have a mobile shop in the back of a rickshaw. He does shoe repair too now. He can sell shoe care products.

It's about maximising the economic potential of everyone. We can do that as individuals and as NGOs focused on business.

There used to be an old Oxfam advert - give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom