What's new

Can SAARC become a vibrant regional organisation?

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
I tried to find the answer to a question at a South Asian Association Regional Cooperation (SAARC) conference recently held in Islamabad.

After meeting representatives of Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and the Maldives, I can say that yes, SAARC can be an effective regional organisation.

But its bright future depends upon good relations between the two nuclear neighbours – India and Pakistan.

In my opinion, if Pakistan and India pursue good ties, keeping in view long-standing trade relations, then SAARC can turn into a mega platform for seeking solutions to regional problems.

Being a representative of Pakistan at the SAARC media fellowship, I observed that SAARC’s economic, social and political viability has been questioned for decades only because of the decades-old hostility between New Delhi and Islamabad.

My purpose is not to blame New Delhi or Islamabad in this regard but only to suggest to these two neighbours that this is the prime time for both to proceed with business relations, especially in the aftermath of the new visa agreement.

I noticed that the representatives of SAARC Information Centre took a baby step towards fostering cooperation among the SAARC states. They (the participants) decided to promote their cultures through short documentaries, which appear to be a pioneer step taken by SAARC Information Centre (SIC).

An important question arises here that if SIC, a small department of SAARC can take small but a positive step then why not the top leadership of SAARC?

In a nutshell, I think that SAARC states, with effort of Pakistan and India, can press for greater political and economic integration, similar to the European Union or the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.

Cessation of hostilities is a must.
Can SAARC become a vibrant regional organisation? – The Express Tribune Blog

not until pakistan and india settle their issues - nepal, bhutan,BD,SL,maldives are under indian influence. also afghanistan and burma should be added to the assn.

To say that till disputes are resolved, it will never be like this - it is wrong.

Euro countries have disputes, countries in the arab gulf council has disputes. How can we resolve disputes when we do not engage with each other?

SAARC needs regional power as population here is most deprived.

As long as Pakistan starts a Kashmir lecture in almost all the SAARC meeting, nothing worthwhile is forthcoming.

Sixty five years and counting.
Kashmir, Kashmir, Kashmir,

My purpose is not to blame New Delhi or Islamabad in this regard but only to suggest to these two neighbours that this is the prime time for both to proceed with business relations, especially in the aftermath of the new visa agreement.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...rant-regional-organisation.html#ixzz2GzZbqusB
India granted the Most Favored Nation (MFN) status to Pakistan, to comply with the principles of World Trade Organization (WTO) regime way back in 1995, and Pakistan has been reluctant to reciprocate it so far.

It is believed that increased trade relationship can play a vital role in normalizing the political relationship between the two countries. This will, therefore, benefit millions of people living in both countries as the resources would be diverted from less desirable areas, such as defense spending, to poverty alleviation initiatives.

But then, since foreign affairs is the domain of the Pakistan Army especially where India is concerned, we don't expect this issue to move forward, at least not in the near future. Let's hope the new Pakistani government has the will to carry this forward in spite of the PA's reluctance to do so.

not until pakistan and india settle their issues - nepal, bhutan,BD,SL,maldives are under indian influence. also afghanistan and burma should be added to the assn.

India, Pakistan are not about to settle anything, anytime soon. What does it matter who is under who's influence? This is primarily a trade organisation and a very odd one at that. The sheer size of India, both physical & economical makes it different from any other regional organisation. Most of the smaller countries would worry about economic dominance by India even while they desperately need the benefit of the huge Indian market. Difficult to see SAARC reaching full potential in the near future.

China should be given membership of SAARC to counter the imbalance that SAARC suffers right now.

China should be given membership of SAARC to counter the imbalance that SAARC suffers right now.

Once Pakistan stops using cuss "K" word, everything would be hunky dory.
Pakistan on this matter - na khud khata hai na khane deta hai.
China or no China, its Pakistani attitude on Kashmir.

IMHO, it's not about Indo-Pak rivalry in the SAARC. If one looks to successful grouping like the ASEAN or EU, there are more than one power centers there in it while in case of SAARC everything is dependent on India. India is the pole of SAARC & economically no country come close to it. India is on the verge of becoming a $ 2 trillion country while the second largest economy of SAARC is Pakistan with $ 210 billion which is nearly one-tenth that of India. All 7 country's economies combined except India is not even one fourth that of India. With India growing at too rapid a pace, this gap will only widen.

We can expand the grouping with the inclusion of Myanmar but certainly not China since it doesn't come PHYSICALLY in what we should call a "SOUTH ASIA" just like Iraq can't be given a membership of EU. We can take baby steps for some benefits to all members of the grouping but to be really fair SAARC can't be seen anywhere near ASEAN or EU for decades to come.

Once Pakistan stops using cuss "K" word, everything would be hunky dory.
Pakistan on this matter - na khud khata hai na khane deta hai.
China or no China, its Pakistani attitude on Kashmir.

Well this is unfair. Would you let go Aksai Chin?

Would you accept Chinese soveriegnty over that area?

This precondition is just ridiculous. Kashmir is a dispute, but it should not be a hurdle to SAARC being a powerful organization.

Back
Top Bottom