What's new

Camel Farming in Pakistan

App na khao bazurgoo hamein to khaney dooo

sir nihaari ya kabab ban sakte hain......biryani bhi nahi ban pati sahi se.....

me apko sirf ground reality bata raha hon....

khana zoq o shoq ka naam hai....ap log usse zarorat samajhte ho lol

Ever had camel meat?? What does it taste like??
It is YUMMY really!
Among the best i would say. Try Nihari or Seekh Kabab of camel meat and i bet you wont like beef ones ever after that (and this can be a problem :P)

I always wanted to try Camel meat in a burger. See how it tastes.
It is YUMMY really!
Among the best i would say. Try Nihari or Seekh Kabab of camel meat and i bet you wont like beef ones ever after that (and this can be a problem :P)

I always wanted to try Camel meat in a burger. See how it tastes.

Very tasty. I always eat whenever I visit Saudi Arabia.

ctyp_6595439keepcalm.jpg

Last edited:
Is camel burger, shwarma or any other fast food available in Pakistan specifically Lahore, maybe??
Kabab tasts great so burger should be good too. Have tried Shwarma in camel meat and that too is good.

Is camel burger, shwarma or any other fast food available in Pakistan specifically Lahore, maybe??
Not really! I am not aware of any and have always tied it abroad or at home (meat is easily available now)
You may want to try your luck on one of those many Turkish Doner Kabab houses.

Turks only sell chicken and beef. Atleast the places I've tried. I also tried looking for it online but didn't find any. Maybe I'll be able to find some on Devon(Little Pakistan/India).
Not really! I am not aware of any and have always tied it abroad or at home (meat is easily available now)
You may want to try your luck on one of those many Turkish Doner Kabab houses.

Pakistanis only like to invest in real state and nothing else.
Only some feaudrals are using their slaves to farm for them using old archaic practices.
No one tries to bring innovation and new ideas.
Our government is poor but people are super rich.
Rather then buying property abroad, they should invest in farms, factories, creating jobs which would not only serve them but also their country and people too.

So true! I went Pakistan recently with some business ideas and almost everyone I spoke to told me to just invest in real estate :hitwall:

Even the big waderay and landlords in Sindh are putting their earnings into Karachi properties.

Nourishing Superfood - a good source of protein, phosphorous, B vitamins niacin, iron, and calcium.
Now available all over Pakistan on Cash on Delivery.
Call now: 0308-7865678. Order online: http://susuunta.com.pk/

27540821_1259505187483089_3617224005049946673_n.jpg

8602544131477301523.jpg

Selling at road side

2_98762.JPG

3690672_305331_c05ae58017_p.jpg

Marhaba Camel Milk & Meat
main lucky star building
Karachi, Pakistan 1111
vI94qcOy7qI.png

03112005810, 03223457821, 021-35640722

14380158_1150309865034048_6619494097046843408_o.jpg

0b%2BCamel%2BAss%2527n%2Bof%2BPakistan.png

maxresdefault.jpg

141023162549-camel-products-cafe2go-camel-burger-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Dubai coffee shop Cafe2Go made international headlines with its "camelccinos" and camel lattes, Italian style drinks made with camel milk. Camel meat also features prominently on the menu, which serves up camel fajitas, hot dogs, burgers and salami.

Cafe2Go founder Jassim Al Bastaki also created a sub-brand called Camellos, which will stock Dubai's supermarkets with camel retail products, including meat (an industry first).

"I said, OK, let's go global with a camel revolution, and we'll enter as a pioneer of the camel café," says Al Bastaki, who has franchised versions of Cafe2Go in Pakistan, Libya, Kenya, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Camel Association of Pakistan

https://www.facebook.com/saves.org.pk/

Last edited:
when camel meat was fashionable
Posted by anissa

As you know, I am pretty familiar with camel meat but when I recently posted a link on facebook to an article on camel burgers in Dubai, my lovely friend Charles Perry (who is the leading expert on medieval Arab cookery) left a comment about a recipe he had for camel hump. I had seen the hump for sale at my camel butcher in Aleppo but I had never seen a recipe for it. So, I asked Charles for his. Sadly, he couldn’t find it — it had gotten lost between computers — but as usual, he sent me lots of information and other recipes; and I thought it would be great to have him do a post here about how camel meat was used in medieval times. Here is his post with some photographs that I shot in the souks of Aleppo.

xmas-card-3.jpg

Charles Perry: Last May, Anissa blogged about visiting a camel butcher in Damascus and making camel kebabs. That was a new one on me – I’d only heard of camel being cooked in elaborate stews. It’s how they cooked camel in the Middle Ages.

Camel meat was reasonably popular back then, popular enough for doctors to gravely warn against eating too much of it (in the manner of doctors throughout the ages). They held it to be “heating” and to “engender thick blood,” and declared it suitable only “for those who do exhausting labor.” Or suffer from “hot stomach” and diarrhea, oddly.

There was a special word for camel meat, jazur, which basically means “that which is slaughtered.” Occasionally the word was applied to mutton, but most of the recipes mention hump, which is kind of a giveaway that we’re talking camel.

There’s a whole chapter of camel stews in the 10th-century book Kitab al-Tabikh. Here’s the first recipe. Pay attention in case you ever need to stew camel, complete with its hump.(Anissa: and if you do, here below is where you can find it at Malak Lahm el-Jamal which is what the Arabic sign says, meaning the king of camel meat!)

camel-butcher-2.jpg

Jazuriyya bi-Lahm Jazur

Camel rib and leg meat
Camel hump
Onions
Vinegar
Soy sauce
Pepper
Coriander
Caraway
Mixed spices (abzar, probably like the baharat or hawayij of modern Arab cookery)

Slice up the meat and hump as if you were going to make the medieval fry-up called qaliyya. Cook the sliced meat in a pot until it gives up all its moisture, then add onions and the sliced hump and cook everything together until the hump renders its fat.

Add the vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, coriander, caraway and mixed spices to taste (the recipe gives no measurements at all) and continue cooking until everything is done.

Yes, they had a sort of soy sauce in the medieval Arab world. Murri was made by culturing barley the same way that soy beans are cultured in the Far East. The second jazuriyya recipe is pretty much the same as the first, except that instead of soy sauce, you add bunn, which was the rotted barley paste from which the barley “soy sauce” was pressed.

It must be significant that the heading of chapter 77 says it contains bunniyyat as well as jazuriyyat. None of the six dishes in the chapter is actually named bunniyya, but five of them contain either bunn or soy sauce. I’ve never had camel meat – maybe its flavor just cries out for soy sauce.

But maybe not. Kitab al-Tabikh describes a royal Persian dish called (in Arabic) ma-wa-milh. The recipe calls for hump (sanam) as well as meat from the back, belly and thighs (of an unnamed animal, but it if you have a hump, you pretty much already have a whole camel lying around). However, ma-wa-milh was a soupy stew with hand-cut noodles in it, served with a garnish of garlic and walnuts stewed in broth. No soy sauce. I retract my theory.

Anissa: Thank you so much Charles. This is brilliant. I will be making the recipe next time I am in Aleppo.

http://www.anissas.com/when-camel-meat-was-fashionable/

Camels were introduced to Australia in the 1800s by the British India, Pakistan ( Balochistan ) for transportation purposes. When automobiles took over the camel's responsibilities in the 1900s, the government ordered that all camels be destroyed. Instead, camel herders set their animals free in the outback, where it was estimated that 1.2 million of them roamed in 2009. In turn, the South Australian government put more than $19 million toward killing a third of the population. By the time the operation ended, 160,000 camels had been killed, primarily by hunters and private contractors shooting them from helicopters. Coincidentally, as the the culling ended, a new study from late last year suggested that only 300,000 camels currently reside in the Australian outback -- less than a third of the initial estimate.

In response to the widespread culling, some groups, like the Australian Camel Industry Association, presented sustainable alternatives, like using the feral camels for meat and dairy production. Considering that camel meat, milk, and blood are widely consumed and considered a delicacy in a handful of countries across the globe, it came as a welcome decision. Today, most of the camel meat found in the States is imported directly from Australia.

Last edited:
Full of nutrients: Plan to promote camel milk on the cards

1651263-camel-1520226517-740-640x480.jpg

Camel milk to be promoted PHOTO: REUTERS

MULTAN: Officials of Livestock and Dairy Development Punjab are working on a plan to promote camel milk across the province with an aim to offer handsome returns to the cattle rearers and also provide fresh and healthy milk to the people.

This was said by Livestock Department Focal Person Dr Majid on Sunday. He said that camel milk was 100% organic and beneficial for health. “It has low sugar content, more iron and vitamins with immunity enhancing properties and good substitute for insulin which is essential for diabetic patients,” he added.

He said, “Camel milk has anti-tumor activity and a natural cure for skin, heart, acne, eczema and hepatitis C.” He maintained camel milk consists of more than 300% vitamin C as compared to cow milk.

Dr Majid observed that one litre of camel milk had nearly 52 units of insulin, which could help maintain health of diabetic patients.

He said that there were about 90,000 camels in the province and they generate nearly 12,000 litres of milk.

The livestock official pointed out that the Punjab government had installed a plant in Pattoki with an aim to process the milk and supply it to various markets.

“Camel milk is now available in the markets at Rs110 per litre,” he said.

The basic aim of marketing was to improve financial condition of the camel farmers.

He said the milk was collected from various parts of the province on daily basis by special vans. “Initially, 700 litres of milk is being processed at the plant and capacity would be enhanced with the passage of time,” he remarked.

Dr Majid explained that camel feed depend on grasses and shrubs like khar, lani, kikar etc as camels do not consume stall or synthetic feed.

He said that camel milk could be used within three days. However, it was best to use it in 24 hours.

He said that camel milk was obtained from Marecha and Barrela breeds.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 5th, 2018.

Back
Top Bottom