What's new

Bullet that can change direction midair!!

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
US makes bullet that can change direction in midair
Andrew Griffin,The Independent
45564543.cms

The Exacto bullet.

The United States department of defence has successfully tested a bullet that can change direction after it has been fired, apparently using fins built into the shell to direct it in the air and account for wind and targets moving.

The Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance weapon, known as Exacto, is made by American industrial company Teledyne Technologies. The firm is making the bullet for the American government's military research agency, Darpa.

A video made by the company shows the bullet being fired twice, deliberately off target. The second time it swings back in towards the target and hits.

The companies involve have not disclosed how the bullet works, but it is thought to have small fins that redirect its path. The sniper shines a laser at the target, which the bullet then follows as it moves through the air.

45564608.cms

The inside of an Exacto bullet. (YouTube video screenshot)

That stops the complicated adjustments that snipers have to make for wind, weather, the dip of the bullet as it flies through the air and any movement by the target, and could mean that snipers' targets could be hit from much further away.

The record kill by a sniper rifle stands at 8,120 feet. That was done by UK soldier Craig Harrison in 2010, during the war in Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Cool.

It used to be only the power of lady's eye brow.

Now bullet's will do this too.

Dang

OK seriously. This will make the art of sniper go the way of typists.

What I worry is that soon bad guys will have this too.

and that will be bad karma for the law enforcement agencies.

Cool.

It used to be only the power of lady's eye brow.

Now bullet's will do this too.

Dang
Lol
This is nothing short of a nano missile.But a .50 cal round would mean a heavy machine gun round so soon apache gunship might use these...trained snippers would be out of fashion!!

OK seriously. This will make the art of sniper go the way of typists.

What I worry is that soon bad guys will have this too.

and that will be bad karma for the law enforcement agencies.
Everything comes with its pros and cons. :(

some more info...

2419BE6700000578-0-image-a-29_1418751003772.jpg

This graphic reveals how the Exacto bullet tracks its target and changes directions. The sniper additionally has to take into account wind, distance and even the curvature of the Earth, before pulling the trigger. DARPA has not released precise details of how its bullet moves in mid-air, but this is one way in which the technology could work.

Weirdest looking bullet I have ever seen.
change they say is permanent.
we have more aerodynamic cars now and so also bullets btw this one has fins inside which helps the bullet to change direction. :)

Last edited:
change they say is permanent.
we have more aerodynamic cars now and so also bullets btw this one has fins inside which helps the bullet to change direction. :)
Fins on the inside ? How does that work ? Are there channels to direct airflow into and out of the bullet ?

RIP marksmanship :(

i just imagine its price, before it gets made in ...

As Usual another next generation tech from
US of A.

US makes bullet that can change direction in midair
Andrew Griffin,The Independent
45564543.cms

The Exacto bullet.

The United States department of defence has successfully tested a bullet that can change direction after it has been fired, apparently using fins built into the shell to direct it in the air and account for wind and targets moving.

The Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance weapon, known as Exacto, is made by American industrial company Teledyne Technologies. The firm is making the bullet for the American government's military research agency, Darpa.

A video made by the company shows the bullet being fired twice, deliberately off target. The second time it swings back in towards the target and hits.

The companies involve have not disclosed how the bullet works, but it is thought to have small fins that redirect its path. The sniper shines a laser at the target, which the bullet then follows as it moves through the air.

45564608.cms

The inside of an Exacto bullet. (YouTube video screenshot)

That stops the complicated adjustments that snipers have to make for wind, weather, the dip of the bullet as it flies through the air and any movement by the target, and could mean that snipers' targets could be hit from much further away.

The record kill by a sniper rifle stands at 8,120 feet. That was done by UK soldier Craig Harrison in 2010, during the war in Afghanistan.

So "WANTED" movie was stating the future facts :o:

reminds me a sci fi story...same bullets,but in that story,the bullet didn't work in rain..

I have to say,impressive tech..XM-25,now this one.. :cheesy: :usflag:

100 years from now USA will feed your photos in the bullet and fire it from Houston, it will make 3 circles of the world to find you and hit you! :P

P.S. Rajnikant can do it now with ordinary bullets.

100 years from now USA will feed your photos in the bullet and fire it from Houston, it will make 3 circles of the world to find you and hit you! :P

P.S. Rajnikant can do it now with ordinary bullets.
The issue is I'm photogenic so the bullet might not be able to track the real me.

And no Rajnikant is not the only one who did it.In 2008 movie wanted Angelina Jolie and James Mc Avoy curve the bullets around obstacles to hit the target. :)

reminds me a sci fi story...same bullets,but in that story,the bullet didn't work in rain..

I have to say,impressive tech..XM-25,now this one.. :cheesy: :usflag:
Xm-25 just produces an air bust effect. And tye way it works is diff. The grenade fired tracks the distance it has traveled by the number of spiral rotations after it is fired then detonates at the proper distance to produce the air bust effect.

And have no doubt that this bullet will work even in the rain. Because it changes its track because of the small fins in the bullet which in all possibilities will not be effected by rain...or so i think.

Fins on the inside ? How does that work ? Are there channels to direct airflow into and out of the bullet ?

RIP marksmanship :(
That isnt explained.
So am not sure how the lil fins work. :)
But the fins let the bullet change its trajectory about 30 times a second.

Back
Top Bottom