What's new

Brazilian Air Force to Retire Mirage 2000 by Year’s End

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Brazil plans to withdraw from service 12 Mirage 2000C/B fighters operating with the 1st Air Defense Group, currently providing the mainstay of the country’s air-defense force. The jet fighters also known as ‘Jaguars’ are operating from Annapolis, about 140 km from the capital Brasilia. These fighters were acquired from French Air Force surplus in 2005 for $74 millions to replace older Mirage IIIBR fighter jets. France delivered three batches of the fighters in 2006, 2007 and 2008. At the time, the life expectancy of these refurbished fighters should last for 16-18 years (till 2025), however, after merely six years most of the small fleet exhausted its remaining operational life and required a temporary life extension plan to keep them flying until the next generation F-X2 was due.

The two years passed, but the decision on F-X2 is still pending and now, even the extra life of these Mirages has been depleted, with the jets reaching the absolute end of their operational life, and no further investment is in sight for further modernization. Since Brazil acquired the old variant (B/C) of Mirage 2000 it was not well equipped, and carried relatively obsolete weapons – Matra 530D and Magic II missiles. The radar did not provide Beyond Visual Range capability while navigation equipment was far from state of the art. The political changes in Brasilia, with the new president and defense minister at the helm means that the jets, bought by the former regime, will not be missed.

To fill the gap the Brazilian Air Force is planning to replace those jets with 6-12 modernized F-5Es obtained from the Royal Jordanian Air Force. Embraer is upgrading these fighters under a comprehensive modernization plan that initially included older Brazilian Air Force F-5E/Fs. Sofar 46 planes have gone through the upgrade and 11 more are planned to enter the process. While the F-5E has been upgraded with modern avionics and weaponry, its radar falls short of the radar carried by the Mirage 2000.

The Brazilian Air Force has examined several options for acquiring modernized second-hand fighters, but rejected those proposals, as it is about to decide on the $4.5–6 billion F-X2 acquisition (which has been dragged over more than a decade). For the F-X2 Brazil is considering three Generation 4.5 fighters – The US made Boeing Super-Hornet, Swedish developed SAAB Gripen NG and Dassault Rafale from France. More editorial reserved for subscribers

fab12.jpg

Brazilian Air Force to Retire Mirage 2000 by Year's End - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

Unfortunately, defense issues are treated as a joke in my country. We do not have schools, we do not have hospitals, we do not have transportation, do not have fighters, but we have football stadiums.

Who will call in case of a war? The air force or Ronaldinho, Neymar and Pelé?

Unfortunately, defense issues are treated as a joke in my country. We do not have schools, we do not have hospitals, we do not have transportation, do not have fighters, but we have football stadiums.

Who will call in case of a war? The air force or Ronaldinho, Neymar and Pelé?

You do have a carrier ....

Brazil plans to withdraw from service 12 Mirage 2000C/B fighters operating with the 1st Air Defense Group, currently providing the mainstay of the country’s air-defense force. The jet fighters also known as ‘Jaguars’ are operating from Annapolis, about 140 km from the capital Brasilia. These fighters were acquired from French Air Force surplus in 2005 for $74 millions to replace older Mirage IIIBR fighter jets. France delivered three batches of the fighters in 2006, 2007 and 2008. At the time, the life expectancy of these refurbished fighters should last for 16-18 years (till 2025), however, after merely six years most of the small fleet exhausted its remaining operational life and required a temporary life extension plan to keep them flying until the next generation F-X2 was due.

The two years passed, but the decision on F-X2 is still pending and now, even the extra life of these Mirages has been depleted, with the jets reaching the absolute end of their operational life, and no further investment is in sight for further modernization. Since Brazil acquired the old variant (B/C) of Mirage 2000 it was not well equipped, and carried relatively obsolete weapons – Matra 530D and Magic II missiles. The radar did not provide Beyond Visual Range capability while navigation equipment was far from state of the art. The political changes in Brasilia, with the new president and defense minister at the helm means that the jets, bought by the former regime, will not be missed.

To fill the gap the Brazilian Air Force is planning to replace those jets with 6-12 modernized F-5Es obtained from the Royal Jordanian Air Force. Embraer is upgrading these fighters under a comprehensive modernization plan that initially included older Brazilian Air Force F-5E/Fs. Sofar 46 planes have gone through the upgrade and 11 more are planned to enter the process. While the F-5E has been upgraded with modern avionics and weaponry, its radar falls short of the radar carried by the Mirage 2000.

The Brazilian Air Force has examined several options for acquiring modernized second-hand fighters, but rejected those proposals, as it is about to decide on the $4.5–6 billion F-X2 acquisition (which has been dragged over more than a decade). For the F-X2 Brazil is considering three Generation 4.5 fighters – The US made Boeing Super-Hornet, Swedish developed SAAB Gripen NG and Dassault Rafale from France. More editorial reserved for subscribers

fab12.jpg

Brazilian Air Force to Retire Mirage 2000 by Year's End - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

I think they should also get in talks with Jordan as they have 33 F-5s which can good for Brazil.
Royal Jordanian Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and In return Jordan could also look towards buying some 50-70 JF-17s as the replacement of 33 F-5s and 30 Mirage F1s which they should try to sell to Argentina and I think IRAQ, Libya and Algeria should also do the same...

Although PAF should have acquired their 16 F-16s A/B and get them upgraded but now the time is bit up.

I think they should also get in talks with Jordan as they have 33 F-5s which can good for Brazil.
Royal Jordanian Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and In return Jordan could also look towards buying some 50-70 JF-17s as the replacement of 33 F-5s and 30 Mirage F1s which they should try to sell to Argentina and I think IRAQ, Libya and Algeria should also do the same...

Although PAF should have acquired their 16 F-16s A/B and get them upgraded but now the time is bit up.

Brazilians are in no immediate danger. Besides, their own MRCA is going to conclude next year.

So they've got ample time and sufficient money to easily buy new cutting edge fighter jets.

If they buckle to US pressure, the super hornet will join BAF while otherwise Rafale or Gripen NG may win the deal.

Besides, their own MRCA is going to conclude next year.

Every year MRCA is to be concluded, so no besides but we'll hope next year would really be the final say.

@Nishan_101 don't be ridiculous. [perfect strangers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year MRCA is to be concluded, so no besides but we'll hope next year would really be the final say.

@Nishan_101 don't be ridiculous. [perfect strangers]

Where every year?

They are to take a vote on concluding their jet deal next year end which was announced by the Roussef regime in 2012 itself.

I think you're confused; I wasn't talking about us.

Brazil is in no hurry to modernize because it has no threats from any country, except a few drug lords whom it has attacked with its Super Tucano counter-insurgency aircraft and has eliminated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Brazil's defence planners are somewhat moron..they're acquiring nuclear subs and aircraft carrier while they've no jets for airforce..their entire jet fleets are is obsolete..they have few F-5,which they're going to retire soon and few AMX International AMX...

I think Brazil's defence planners are somewhat moron..they're acquiring nuclear subs and aircraft carrier while they've no jets for airforce..their entire jet fleets are is obsolete..they have few F-5,which they're going to retire soon and few AMX International AMX...

Probably because they don't need fighter jets now?

The nature of warfare in Brazil is heavily skewed towards CAS of Brazilian Army against Leftist and drug trafficking terrorist groups.

The kind of tactics needed there is not supersonic fighter jets that are meant to level entire battlefields but to be able to operate a punitive, fast and yet feasible platform that can cause havoc in the dense jungles of Brazil.

For that, their EMB-314 suits good enough and has been a COIN and CAS proven machine.

Brazil has no military threats so far and that's what is making it so lax.

Although I don't understand how and why they're expanding their navy like that.

they can't acquire nuclear subs. mate.

It is a no-no from the manufacturers unless it is on lease.

Probably because they don't need fighter jets now?

The nature of warfare in Brazil is heavily skewed towards CAS of Brazilian Army against Leftist and drug trafficking terrorist groups.

The kind of tactics needed there is not supersonic fighter jets that are meant to level entire battlefields but to be able to operate a punitive, fast and yet feasible platform that can cause havoc in the dense jungles of Brazil.

For that, their EMB-314 suits good enough and has been a COIN and CAS proven machine.

Brazil has no military threats so far and that's what is making it so lax.

Although I don't understand how and why they're expanding their navy like that.

they can't acquire nuclear subs. mate.

It is a no-no from the manufacturers unless it is on lease.

Still I would say EF-2000s and Rafael should try to struck a deal with Brazil or else Russian might going to win a bigger deal with their Su-35s and MiG-35s which are cheaper for Brazil too...

Still I would say EF-2000s and Rafael should try to struck a deal with Brazil or else Russian might going to win a bigger deal with their Su-35s and MiG-35s which are cheaper for Brazil too...

actually,there is a strong possibility of Rafale's winning in MRCA of Brazil..

actually,there is a strong possibility of Rafale's winning in MRCA of Brazil..

But Su-35s and MiG-35s are also not a bad option and I think Russians are still in talk with them... for a possible license production of about 200 planes there...

But Su-35s and MiG-35s are also not a bad option and I think Russians are still in talk with them... for a possible license production of about 200 planes there...

su-35 is a good option..can't comment of Mig-35..but all I can say is that it lost in Indian MRCA and Brazil took notes from Indian MRCA to implement it in their own MRCA contest..actually,in Brazil,France lobby is quite powerful..

Not as powerful as US lobby (they even installed a F18 simulator in Congress!!!). But Snowden's affair has changed a few things...

Back
Top Bottom