What's new

Brakes of electric vehicles in Britain could be controlled remotely by China

StraightEdge

Reaction score
Country
India
Geely's Zeekr EVs bound for Europe. A Chinese surveillance expert has warned that  China could control the brakes and steering of British electric cars remotely

Geely's Zeekr EVs bound for Europe. A Chinese surveillance expert has warned that China could control the brakes and steering of British electric cars remotely Credit: BLOOMBERG
Groups linked to the Chinese government could control the brakes of British electric vehicles remotely, a report by a Chinese surveillance expert has suggested.
The report by Christopher Balding, who is also the founder of New Kite Data Labs, a non-profit think-tank, warned that some of the systems within electric vehicles were susceptible to being overridden remotely, with the brakes and steering potential targets.
He told The Daily Telegraph that this could easily apply in the UK in the future as the number of electric vehicles increased.
In the report titled “Chinese Automobile Surveillance Capabilities”, Mr Balding writes: “The second potential risk moves beyond simple monitoring and surveillance, such as speed, location, and direction data access, but the ability to control specific systems within the automobile.
“Security researchers for sometime noted the risks of hacking to key components of electrical vehicles, but this is slightly different such that malware in a component provides not just access to the system and operational data, but control over a specific system.
“This would mean control over the braking system or on-board microphone.”

Compromise​

Mr Balding, who is also a senior fellow at global human rights think-tank The Henry Jackson Society, told The Telegraph: “Government-linked groups would be able to listen into a car, or compromise the braking system, as they would have the component car code from the manufacturer and access through preknown access points.”
He was speaking to The Telegraph after authoring the report for New Kite Data Labs, which collects surveillance data from China and looks at Chinese data technology and potential security risks around it.
The report outlines evidence it has found that it says shows that Chinese firms and authorities have broad access to automobile data in connected electric vehicles, including location.
It specifically raises concerns over the security risks around EV batteries, which it says contain large amounts of code which allow for significant monitoring capabilities and the potential for systems to be controlled remotely.
It comes as there are increasing concerns within the UK about China’s potential domination of the electric vehicle market in years to come and how it might use technology to harvest information.
Some of this stems from the UK’s ban on new petrol and diesel vehicles comes in 2030, with China predicted to dominate the UK market because of its prowess in making cheap electric cars.
Last month, The Telegraph reported that a cross-party group of MPs warned the Government that Britain was poised to cede control of the “critical infrastructure” of its car market to Beijing “with all the attendant security risks”.
Mr Balding believes this could be taken one stage further with bodies in China able to hack into vehicle systems and affecting how they operate.

‘Heart and brain’​

He said this could be done through the vehicle’s battery, which he described as the “heart and brain” of the car as it was linked to all of the car’s other systems.
He said: “The battery actually has to deal with every individual system, it feeds power to feed the entertainment system, it is going to feed the braking system.
“The issue is then moving laterally [...] And moving laterally means, if I get into the entertainment system, I can move my way laterally into the battery, and then into the braking system or the microphone, and I’ll be able to take over some of these different systems.”
He stressed that he had not yet seen evidence of any agency in China taking control of a vehicle either within China or abroad, or listening in on any motorists conversations. However, he said that he had consulted a number of people in the electric vehicle sector who said these hacks were possible.
While he admitted taking over the control of the car may be an extreme example but said that his think-tank had data from China which clearly showed that the government could have access to car data. He said this data could pinpoint how many people are in the car, and even whether they are wearing a seatbelt.
He said: “The more likely scenario is rather than a rash of Brits dying because the brakes don’t work, is that Chinese organisations collect data on you, like recordings which could be later used against you.”
He added that while he couldn’t definitively say yet that this is what was happening, the make-up of electric vehicles meant they “absolutely had the capability”.
-------------

This will be a concern for cars that are always connected...especially full self driving ones.

My Tesla is fully computer controlled. Not many physical linkages. Even when it is stopped at a red light or stop sign the brakes automatically engage without me touching the pedal. The pedal does not even go down. You step on the accelerator and it first automatically disengages the brake and then moves forward.

So saying the car could simply be set to not unlock the brakes is a reasonable concern.

Last edited:
This will be a concern for cars that are always connected...especially full self driving ones.

My Tesla is fully computer controlled. Not many physical linkages. Even when it is stopped at a red light or stop sign the brakes automatically engage without me touching the pedal. The pedal does not even go down. You step on the accelerator and it first automatically disengages the brake and then moves forward.

So saying the car could simply be set to not unlock the brakes is a reasonable concern.
Another word for Let's protect Tesla. Lolol

Geely's Zeekr EVs bound for Europe. A Chinese surveillance expert has warned that  China could control the brakes and steering of British electric cars remotely's Zeekr EVs bound for Europe. A Chinese surveillance expert has warned that  China could control the brakes and steering of British electric cars remotely

Geely's Zeekr EVs bound for Europe. A Chinese surveillance expert has warned that China could control the brakes and steering of British electric cars remotely Credit: BLOOMBERG
Groups linked to the Chinese government could control the brakes of British electric vehicles remotely, a report by a Chinese surveillance expert has suggested.
The report by Christopher Balding, who is also the founder of New Kite Data Labs, a non-profit think-tank, warned that some of the systems within electric vehicles were susceptible to being overridden remotely, with the brakes and steering potential targets.
He told The Daily Telegraph that this could easily apply in the UK in the future as the number of electric vehicles increased.
In the report titled “Chinese Automobile Surveillance Capabilities”, Mr Balding writes: “The second potential risk moves beyond simple monitoring and surveillance, such as speed, location, and direction data access, but the ability to control specific systems within the automobile.
“Security researchers for sometime noted the risks of hacking to key components of electrical vehicles, but this is slightly different such that malware in a component provides not just access to the system and operational data, but control over a specific system.
“This would mean control over the braking system or on-board microphone.”

Compromise​

Mr Balding, who is also a senior fellow at global human rights think-tank The Henry Jackson Society, told The Telegraph: “Government-linked groups would be able to listen into a car, or compromise the braking system, as they would have the component car code from the manufacturer and access through preknown access points.”
He was speaking to The Telegraph after authoring the report for New Kite Data Labs, which collects surveillance data from China and looks at Chinese data technology and potential security risks around it.
The report outlines evidence it has found that it says shows that Chinese firms and authorities have broad access to automobile data in connected electric vehicles, including location.
It specifically raises concerns over the security risks around EV batteries, which it says contain large amounts of code which allow for significant monitoring capabilities and the potential for systems to be controlled remotely.
It comes as there are increasing concerns within the UK about China’s potential domination of the electric vehicle market in years to come and how it might use technology to harvest information.
Some of this stems from the UK’s ban on new petrol and diesel vehicles comes in 2030, with China predicted to dominate the UK market because of its prowess in making cheap electric cars.
Last month, The Telegraph reported that a cross-party group of MPs warned the Government that Britain was poised to cede control of the “critical infrastructure” of its car market to Beijing “with all the attendant security risks”.
Mr Balding believes this could be taken one stage further with bodies in China able to hack into vehicle systems and affecting how they operate.

‘Heart and brain’​

He said this could be done through the vehicle’s battery, which he described as the “heart and brain” of the car as it was linked to all of the car’s other systems.
He said: “The battery actually has to deal with every individual system, it feeds power to feed the entertainment system, it is going to feed the braking system.
“The issue is then moving laterally [...] And moving laterally means, if I get into the entertainment system, I can move my way laterally into the battery, and then into the braking system or the microphone, and I’ll be able to take over some of these different systems.”
He stressed that he had not yet seen evidence of any agency in China taking control of a vehicle either within China or abroad, or listening in on any motorists conversations. However, he said that he had consulted a number of people in the electric vehicle sector who said these hacks were possible.
While he admitted taking over the control of the car may be an extreme example but said that his think-tank had data from China which clearly showed that the government could have access to car data. He said this data could pinpoint how many people are in the car, and even whether they are wearing a seatbelt.
He said: “The more likely scenario is rather than a rash of Brits dying because the brakes don’t work, is that Chinese organisations collect data on you, like recordings which could be later used against you.”
He added that while he couldn’t definitively say yet that this is what was happening, the make-up of electric vehicles meant they “absolutely had the capability”.
-------------
It would make them much better drivers than they already are. Women drivers need their cars controlled definitely.

Another word for Let's protect Tesla. Lolol
Well maybe the UK doesn't trust Chinese MGs 🤔

Unfortunately due to Ukraine China's credibility in the EU is sh*t. So all the decades of work by China to snuggle up to the EU has gone right out the window in an instant.

You are now seen on the same level as the Russians when it comes to security.

Last edited:
Unfortunately due to Ukraine China's credibility in the EU is sh*t. So all the decades of work by China to snuggle up to the EU has gone right out the window.

You are now seen on the same level as the Russians when it comes to security.
Wow, you actually agree with me? Haahahahha. I told you Chinese EV will dominate, you didn't believe and keep on hyping Tesla. I told you Tesla was good for China. Let the ecosystem build up in China. Huawei would have decimated Samsung not so much Apple cause Apple is selling hype and fanboys, you guys have to thank Trump.

Wow, you actually agree with me? Haahahahha. I told you Chinese EV will dominate, you didn't believe and keep on hyping Tesla. I told you Tesla was good for China. Let the ecosystem build up in China.

When did i say Tesla will dominate?

You think Tesla is going to sell 10 million $30K Model Y's in the 3rd world or will some Chinese company sell a golf cart sized Wuling-Mini type one for $5K instead?
mini.png

As for Europe I'm sure China will do very well in Eastern Europe.

As for Western Europe they will be skeptical of anything that is not Volvo or MG. So only those 2 Chinese companies will do well in the beginning.

Huawei would have decimated Samsung not so much Apple cause Apple is selling hype and fanboys, you guys have to thank Trump.

I can't speak for Samsung or how Europe feels about them vs Huawei.

All I know is Huawei never had any marketshare in the US. All they were known for is making the Google pixel at one time.

Last edited:
Some Uyghurs from UK gonna have a long drive all the way to Xinjiang soon.

Hi,

This is also known as " A KILL SWITCH "----.

When did i say Tesla will dominate?

You think Tesla is going to sell 10 million $30K Model Y's in the 3rd world or will some Chinese company sell a golf cart sized Wuling-Mini type one for $5K instead? View attachment 949644

As for Europe I'm sure China will do very well in Eastern Europe.

As for Western Europe they will be skeptical of anything that is not Volvo or MG. So only those 2 Chinese companies will do well in the beginning.

I can't speak for Samsung or how Europe feels about them vs Huawei.

All I know is Huawei never had any marketshare in the US. All they were known for is making the Google pixel at one time.

Wow, different tone now. Totally unlike you, no more cheerleading for Murica? uS stronk? Lolol

Does your car continuously communicate on the Internet? If so, what does it do if you want to drive where there is no internet access? I have driven on roads where I don't even get good AM radio. Having a bunch of microcontrollers is no cause for concern. A modern gasoline car may have dozens of microcontrollers, ABS, Air Bags, Engine control etc.,

Does your car continuously communicate on the Internet? If so, what does it do if you want to drive where there is no internet access? I have driven on roads where I don't even get good AM radio. Having a bunch of microcontrollers is no cause for concern. A modern gasoline car may have dozens of microcontrollers, ABS, Air Bags, Engine control etc.,

It can drive without the internet.

It's connected so it can alert my phone app of current charge states and other notifications like the current cabin temperature or if i left the doors unlocked for a long time.

It can drive without the internet.

It's connected so it can alert my phone app of current charge states and other notifications like the current cabin temperature or if i left the doors unlocked for a long time.
Do you pay for internet, or it is somehow "free" i.e., built into the cost of the car?

Back
Top Bottom