What's new

'Brain drain' discourages young Pakistanis

Reaction score
@Aeronaut @Secur @Last Hope @balixd and others:

'Brain drain' discourages young Pakistanis - World News

By Amna Nawaz, NBC News, Correspondent

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan – While Pakistan continues to grapple with terrorism, drone attacks and trouble in neighboring Afghanistan, the country can add another issue to the list: a brain drain of its most talented young people.

Momina Khawar is one of them. Like many 21-year-olds, she has big dreams. But her home country isn't able to fulfill them.

The Islamic University student is preparing to graduate next year with a bachelor’s degree in Politics and International Relations. Confident and composed, she recently laid out her plans for her future.

“I want to be a development expert,” Khawar said. “I also want to be a magazine editor. And I also plan on standing for elections in the next five or ten years.”

But even Khawar, a member of Pakistan’s privileged class, knows her plans come with inherent limitations. Although she has the means to comfortably live among the tree-lined, wide boulevards of the country’s capital city of Islamabad, she believes that in order to reach her goals, she will ultimately have to leave Pakistan.

“There are not many universities who are offering [specialized] kinds of programs, so I have to go abroad,” she said. “Secondly, if you are educated, you are qualified, you don’t have the ideal jobs [here.]”

Khawar’s frustrations are echoed by her peers, other students making the transition from their sheltered student bubbles to the hard realities of adulthood in Pakistan. In a nation where 91 percent of the population believes the country is on the wrong track, according to a recent Pew Research report, dissatisfaction and disenfranchisement easily cut across distinctly-drawn class lines.

“I believe life has afforded me a lot of comfort and luxury already, and I’ve been given a lot of good raw material,” said 22-year old Sara Sajid Mumtaz, a student of law at the Institute of Legal Studies in Rawalpindi.

She said that one of her biggest challenges as she attempts to start her career will be “rising above” the problems pulling down Pakistan – a floundering economy, a calamitous energy crisis, and a recent history of political upheavals preventing leaders from enacting meaningful reforms. Her future plans, she says, will have to include leaving her home country.

While Pakistan’s elite are just a small sliver of the overall population – 60 percent of Pakistan’s 180 million people live below the poverty line, on less than $2 a day – Khawar and Mumtaz are certainly not alone.

According to recent reports, over 5,000 Pakistani students are currently enrolled in higher education institutions in Australia, at least another 5,000 are studying in the United States and nearly 9,000 in the United Kingdom, by far the most popular destination for Pakistanis lucky enough to have the money and opportunity to study abroad.

What they’re fleeing is an economy that a measly 9 percent of those surveyed in 2012 Pew study rated positively, down from 59 percent in 2007. Just 38 percent said they were better off than their parents; 65 percent said their own children’s economic advancement would be “very difficult.”

Pakistan’s Overseas Employment Corporation, a government agency charged with facilitating Pakistanis’ employment in foreign countries, estimates that close to 36,000 skilled professionals have migrated to other countries in the last 30 years. Experts say that while that “brain drain” can have a positive impact on a country – in the form of money earned overseas sent back home, for example – the long-term consequence is the absence of much-needed human capital in countries that badly need it.

The assumption that those who can, leave – even if just for a while, is woven into every conversation among this well-heeled crowd. Twenty-one-year old Bisma Khan is upbeat about her future prospects as a lawyer, but “only because I have the opportunity to go outside this country, to explore the world, to get the kind of experience that a lot of people here cannot.” Anum Qureshi, 18, qualified her 10-year plan with the caveat, “If I’m not here in Pakistan…”

But if the nation’s elite are this cynical about their future prospects in-country, what about everyone else?

Pakistan is young and growing fast. Of an estimated 180 million Pakistanis, two-thirds have yet to reach their 30th birthdays. Michael Kugelman, senior program associate for South Asia at the Woodrow Wilson Center, says Pakistan’s “youth bulge,” and simultaneous intense rate of population growth – at 2 percent, one of the highest in the world – is making for a dangerous mix, particularly if nothing is done to support the next generation of Pakistan’s young adults.

“There needs to be concern about the consequences that can arise if you have such a large, young population that simply cannot lead a productive, income-generating, happy life,” said Kugelman. “But the youth should not be seen as a problem, they need to be looked at as a policy issue to be addressed.”

While the recently-elected government, which brought back a party and prime minister previously in power, may be seen by many young Pakistanis as old wine in a new bottle, Kugelman says it’s unfair to expect the government alone to solve these issues. Private sector industries like IT could potentially step in, he argues, not only to provide vocational training and jobs for the millions of young adults lacking both, but literacy programs and funding for small-scale energy projects to benefit many more.

Without these sorts of efforts within this “small window of opportunity,” Kugelman says the future for Pakistan’s next generation is grim.

Momina Khawar, meanwhile, is hopeful her plans to concentrate on education and health development issues, and eventually run for office, will mean she’s only away from Pakistan for a short while.

“Probably I’ll go abroad for my [Master of Philosophy degree] or my PhD, but I do plan on living here,” she says. “We're already suffering from a massive ‘brain drain’ and I'd hate myself to contribute further to it by settling elsewhere. I need to make sure I put into effect whatever I study and learn within Pakistan.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Donot know about doctors but engineers from all trades are pushed for this due to closure of most major industries. Just try to find when was the last major industrial investment by Gov. or private sector. Fertilizer factories are short of gas, multinational oil and gas companies are either leaving or are trying to limit their functioning, coal energy is a dream still, renewable energy(STFU), small industries are power and gas starved, no new oil refineries etc.

I work in industry and the brain drain is fast. Every other guy is trying for a job abroad or immigration. Generally we have a capacity to produce 1000-1200 engineers in every field but no industries to consume them. This is leading us to a more dangerous situation. In a job/food driven community like us students tend to choose the fields which give jobs. so it is possible in future that we have energy and new industry but no lot of (insufficient in numbers and quality/exp.) engineers for them.

@Aeronaut @Secur @Last Hope @balixd and others:

'Brain drain' discourages young Pakistanis - World News

By Amna Nawaz, NBC News, Correspondent

”

What is it that I am missing in this article? when there is no industry - and a ground touching economy - do not expect anyone to make a living with in the country , not unless you are born among the elite.....
BTW I would like to add here that the article itself is pointing towards the middle class society - not the Rich & Elite of the country , as they have businesses developed in the country and will be taken on for generations to come......

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a big deal, many of them will go back when things are right. Brain drain is much better than brain in drain, as they say.

Its not a big deal, many of them will go back when things are right. Brain drain is much better than brain in drain, as they say.

Not a big deal? The exodus means that only the failures are left to make the country work. Which is why it does not work.

What is it that I am missing in this article? when there is no industry - and a ground touching economy - do not expect anyone to make a living with in the country , not unless you are born among the elite.....
BTW I would like to add here that the article itself is pointing towards the middle class society - not the Rich & Elite of the country , as they have businesses developed in the country and will be taken on for generations to come......

The middle class is what makes a country work and a society stable. Which is why we have all these issues since we are now mostly a small elite and a large lower class, with the middle class slowly shrinking, some by elevation, but most by sinking into the lower class.

The USSR faced the same problem, they solved it by simply stopping people from leaving. There is really no reason Pakistan cannot do the same in the short term. Or the government could give incentives to Pakistanis seeking to go abroad to move to places like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, etc - where the they will eventually have to return home.

The USSR faced the same problem, they solved it by simply stopping people from leaving. There is really no reason Pakistan cannot do the same in the short term. Or the government could give incentives to Pakistanis seeking to go abroad to move to places like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, etc - where the they will eventually have to return home.

stopping people from leaving is cruel ... and it will isolate you from the world... do you want another east germany or north korea

Yes, look at how well all those bans worked out for USSR. Oh wait. USSR did not survive. Wrong example.

stopping people from leaving is cruel ... and it will isolate you from the world... do you want another east germany or north korea

Its up to them, I was just pointing out a similar example from the top of my mind. Also There is a limit to how many people can leave and restriction on Visas for both Indians and Pakistanis are getting tougher. Saudi Arabia and UAE have already deported many.

Not a big deal? The exodus means that only the failures are left to make the country work. Which is why it does not work.
no .. first of all there is no mass exodus ... secondly pakistan runs by elite who are unlikely to migrate .. this migration of smart workers continue till you get a critical mass of middle class who will bring change ...

Its up to them, I was just pointing out a similar example from the top of my mind. Also There is a limit to how many people can leave and restriction on Visas for both Indians and Pakistanis are getting tougher. Saudi Arabia and UAE have already deported many.
well.. host country making it tougher for people to migrate is different issue, and its not that bad thing. That might stop some drain, but countries like US and UK will continue to allow high skilled migrants.

no .. first of all there is no mass exodus ... secondly pakistan runs by elite who are unlikely to migrate .. this migration of smart workers continue till you get a critical mass of middle class who will bring change ...

Given present trends, what is more likely is that the middle class will fall below the critical sustainable levels and implode, with adverse social consequences.

Brain drain will continue until there is focus on local industries

a) Auto
b) Engineering
c) Pharmaceutical
d) Oil and Gas Sector

We need a maga project launched for Prison in Baluchistan , and put all corruption and politicians in the prisons 1 way ticket to Prisons

The middle class is what makes a country work and a society stable. Which is why we have all these issues since we are now mostly a small elite and a large lower class, with the middle class slowly shrinking, some by elevation, but most by sinking into the lower class.

rightly said - I personally know many talented people - coming from Middle class families living the country only because of unemployment; an old classmate left 2 months ago to do PHD in CS to Australia ( well we all know he is not going to come back - not until he gets with PR) .
He stayed here for 1 year, tried to find a job but failed. I even know 2 doctors who studied from Army Medical College and after getting the commission they went abroad.....

rightly said - I personally know many talented people - coming from Middle class families living the country only because of unemployment; an old classmate left 2 months ago to do PHD in CS to Australia ( well we all know he is not going to come back - not until he gets with PR) .
He stayed here for 1 year, tried to find a job but failed. I even know 2 doctors who studied from Army Medical College and after getting the commission they went abroad.....

Everyone knows stories like this. On one hand, diaspora form a valuable resource in terms of remittances and expertise, but this lasts only as long as the stay abroad is temporary and links with the homeland are maintained. On the other hand, once these people start getting PR/GC status or nationalities, then it turns into a net loss for the country as they make permanent homes elsewhere. Within two generations it is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom