What's new

Bofors ghost finally buried, 155mm howitzers coming for Indian Army

India has multiple options in artilary now. DRDO 45 and 52 caliber guns, TATA 52 caliber guns, Baba kalyani 45 and 52 cliber guns, M77 etc. Ultra-light gun of baba kalyani is also getting ready. Baba kalyani 105 mm gun is a mini wonder which they made in less than a year. It has changed the dynamics of power. Earlier field gun was 4+ ton heavy and baba kalyani made the gun in 900 KG with 1 km higher range. Awesome.

Garuda-105_ultra-light_105mm_field_gun_mounted_on_Humvee_Kalyani_group_India_defense_industry_Defexpo_2014_002.jpg

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/03/idn-take-amazing-story-of-bharat-52.html

Amazing story of Bharat 52 gun which was made in 2 years.

Hence my point, that it will not be walk in the park for M777. They do have a breakthrough, but there are competitors.

wrong sir danush is 12.5tonne plus while M777 is 4.5 tonne and we need at least 750 such guns in china border and J&K sectors alone deu to constant threat of a two front war but the follow on order of simmilar numbers assmelbelled in india cannot be ruled out which would later/gradually mean complete TOT keep watching we always tend to make defence orders like that :coffee:

There is lot more to decisions than overall weight. 750 guns of only M777? You must work for BAE.

Hence my point, that it will not be walk in the park for M777. They do have a breakthrough, but there are competitors.

There is lot more to decisions than overall weight. 750 guns of only M777? You must work for BAE.
M777 is ready while others are in testing or there productyion has not started properlly but we all know how M777 can be produced in huge numebrs in USA or even in india but yes im sure 145 is the initaial numbers and the total ammount would be at least thrice of the current order

no sir i dont work for BAE or any defnce contractor not even close but one things for sure M777 is going to have a loins share of towed artilerry in indian market and might replace a ultra light 105 mm field guns in near future

For us, breakthrough is most important because noother country can match india in cost in high tech items. He said that his gun is 30% cheaper than anything available globaly. Here, it ends the story.

@Bilal Khan 777
Sir,
lightweight M777 are purchased keeping Mountain corps on Eastern border with China in view. India has demonstrated landing of both C-130 and C-17 on High Altitude forward landing strips and with ability of these guns to be transported by these heavy lift aircrafts, it will be a very good addition to artillery fire power for the new corps.

and what about dhanush & k9 howitzer
Entirely different catergories. Dhanush is a towed artillery gun system (TAGS) and K9 is a Self Propelled Gun (SPG) whilst M777 is an Ultra Lightweight Howitzer (ULH)

IA has a requirement for 5,000-6,000 brand new arty guns by 2020 of 4 different kinds; ULH, TAGS,SPG and MGS (Mounted Gun System).

ULH=M777
SPG= K9
TGS= Dhanush 45/52 and DRDO's ATAGs (buit by Bharat Forge)
MGS=CAESAR (built in India by a consortium lead by L&T)

By the way, 645 M777 will eventuallly be in service with the IA.

what about the deal with M&M to make 500 in india under MII
Watch this space.

what about the prospects of making a tracked and wheeled version SPG based M777 ?
No point, the M777 is highly expensive because of the advanced lightweight materials used in it, creating a tracked/wheeled version of it entirely negates its USP.

Is smart munition's like Excalibur being procured?
Included in the package.

I personally feel there will be a tough competition for funds for indigenous weapons versus the M777.
Nope, the M777 occupies its own niche, there is no conflict with existing or future procurements.

@Bilal Khan 777
Sir,
lightweight M777 are purchased keeping Mountain corps on Eastern border with China in view. India has demonstrated landing of both C-130 and C-17 on High Altitude forward landing strips and with ability of these guns to be transported by these heavy lift aircrafts, it will be a very good addition to artillery fire power for the new corps.
Even the CAESAR MGS can be transported by C-130. The greatest utility of the M777 will be in its ability to be transported by the IAF's CH-47Fs:

ORD_M777_Canadian_Under_CH-47_lg.jpg

chinook-howitzer_1454399i.jpg

This capability is a game changer for the MSC.

M777 is a class apart from Barat 52 . It brings more jobs and technologies which will go in to future guns of DRDO and private players.

But Bharat were a Chinese company by now they could had produced more than 2000 guns till date domestic and exports

Wait till December?30. Huge defence deals will be made

Grats on the deal,and its good to see that the AH4 has every features and even more compared with M777A2.

Last edited:
Holy crap, $5+ million a piece for field guns? That costs more than a tank!

7319331469157804.jpg

Chinese AH4 howitzers,
report says recently,it wins a huge bid from Kuwait against M777.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom