What's new

BNP-Jamaat was active to destabilize India by delivering 10 truck arms to ULFA

I am re posting this report here.

How does Bangladesh’s socio-political situation affect India?

Alyssa_Ayres_10-15_large.jpg

by: Alyssa Ayres, Senior Fellow for India, Pakistan, and South Asia
January 27, 2014

Bangladesh is a critically important neighbor for India, and one with great impact on India—both positive and potentially negative. On the positive side, Bangladesh is a country of approximately 160 million people making great progress on human development, with an economy consistently growing between five and six percent, and with ambitions to reach lower-middle income levels by 2021.

It is India's largest trading partner in the region, the geographic gateway for land connectivity with Southeast Asia, and a bridge to India's northeast. Bangladesh's brand of moderate Islam and the country's highly successful, empowered women have been notable in the region.

On the flip side, the recent violence in Bangladesh surrounding the national elections—with sustained days of strikes, attacks on buses and trains, and transportation blockades called by the opposition BNP and their ally the Jama'at-e-Islami—has aroused concerns in India. Also worrisome for New Delhi: during 2013, a new radical Islamist force with an avowed "anti-secular" agenda—the Hefazat-e-Islam coalition—seemed to strengthen.

Should radical elements gain ground in Bangladesh, the potential threat of terrorism emanating from Bangladeshi terrority could be a great concern, along with attacks on the Hindu minority in Bangladesh, and the lost opportunities for increasing trade and connectivity.

Despite India's support for Bangladeshi independence in 1971, the two countries have had a complex and at times difficult relationship. Both Delhi and Dhaka, under Sheikh Hasina's Awami League government, sought to overcome longstanding distrust in recent years, with reciprocal state visits in 2011 and 2012, and the negotiation of some important agreements to advance trade and commercial ties, resolve long-standing border disputes, and facilitate river water sharing and land connectivity across Bangladesh. The border and river sharing agreements still face obstacles in India but relations are at present the best they have been in years, with robust economic ties, and strong counter-terrorism cooperation underway.

http://www.cfr.org/bangladesh/does-bangladeshs-socio-political-situation-affect-india/p32274

Last edited:
I don't know how that is relevant to what I posted but Pakistanis aren't monolithic as I'm sure Indians aren't either - We come in all shapes & sizes, in all complexions !
Apparently most Pakistani's themselves dont know this either about themselves or about others.

No one supports Jamaat here, IamBengali you gulaam of India, support your taghoot government, if Jamaat supplies arms to ULFA then that is stupid and contradictory of them. Ask me this, which so called Islamic party that wants to establish Shareeah arms and supports a Hindu insurgency group?? It simply does not make sense, if it was BNP i would understand.

Come on you Indians should know this at least, stop egging on this retard.
The objective was to break India.

And yes, if Bangladesh persists with such policies to harm India, it would be reciprocated with 'riba'.

Thank your God that Awami League is not a terrorist supporting party and hindered these terrorist groups that you lot seem to be supporting.

ULFA is your problem. So handle it like a gown man instead of asking our help like sissy. We guys has been acting sissy and was taking BD's help through Ghaddar Hasina for last 6 years.

It doesn't matter what Loki said. He is not politically mature and some of this thought is half baked. You know I'm right "Loki".

If BNP wanted to pass it over to ULFA then it would have gotten there. Let's not forget this could have been act of Awami ghaddar and Indian to harm BNP government and this was exactly what happened.
Razakar. People like you are the modern day Mir Jaffar's who are loyal to no one.
Your jammat is a terrorist organization supporting terrorists and terrorism in neighbouring countries. You people should be brought to book in Bangladesh for crimes committed against humanity.

And you've become a PDF 'Think Tank Analyst'?????? :woot: :omghaha:

Good God! What the devil is going on? Just because you write some crap in some journals which is totally biased, fake and filled to the gills with nonsensical anti India rants, you are conferred the title of 'Analyst'???

WTF? :fie:

These Indians can really get holier than thou. When provoked expect a sharp retort.

BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!!!!!

Hang20131210215844.jpg

Nizami, Babar among 14 to hang

nizami-babar-10-truck-arms.jpg

52e9f60847949-Chittago.jpg

A Chittagong court today handed death penalty to 14 people including Jamaat ameer Motiur Rahman Nizami, former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and Ulfa leader Paresh Barua for smuggling in 10-truck firearms in 2004.

Judge SM Mojibur Rahman of the Chittagong Metropolitan Special Tribunal-1 began reading out the summary at 12:28pm.

Earlier in the day, the detained 11 accused, including former ministers Motiur Rahman Nizami and Lutfozzaman Babar, were produced before the cour.

Former National Security Intelligence (NSI) director general Brig Gen (retd) Abdur Rahim and former Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI) director Maj Gen (retd) Rezzakul Haider Chowdhury are among the other accused produced before the court.

Judge SM Mojibur Rahman of the Chittagong Metropolitan Special Tribunal-1 will deliver the verdict amid tight security, ending a long wait since the seizure of the country's largest-ever arms consignments about a decade ago.

The court is set to announce the judgement today after the recovery of the huge cache of arms and ammunition on April 2, 2004 at the jetty of Chittagong Urea Fertiliser Ltd (CUFL). The arms were being loaded on 10-trucks.

The arms and ammo were reportedly meant for Indian separatist outfit United Liberation Front of Asom (Ulfa).

Ulfa leader Paresh Barua, former NSI deputy director Maj (retd) Liakat Hossain, former NSI director wing commander (retd) Shahab Uddin, ex-NSI field officer Akbar Hossain Khan, former additional secretary of industries ministry Nurul Amin, ex-managing director of CUFL Mohsin Talukder and former CUFL general manager (admin) Enamul Hoque are among the 52 accused in the cases.

Two cases one under the Arms Act for illegal possession of firearms and the other under the Special Powers Act, 1974 for smuggling firearms --were filed with Karnaphuli Police Station the following day of the arms recovery.

If convicted, an accused may get death sentence in the smuggling case and life sentence in the arms case as the highest punishment.

Today's verdict is expected to remove the suspense created over the long-drawn trial proceedings.

Earlier on Monday the High Court cleared the way for a trial court to deliver verdict in the cases by rejecting four petitions--to interrogate first investigation officer and change the court--of the accused.

Earlier, four accused were taken to Chittagong Central Jail from Dhaka and Kashimpur jails.

Sagir Mia, senior jail super of Chittagong Central Jail, told The Daily Star earlier that Nizami and Babar had reached Chittagong from Kashimpur jail at 7:00pm yesterday.

Brig Gen (retd) Abdur Rahim and Maj Gen (retd) Rezzakul Haider Chowdhury arrived in Chittagong Central Jail from Dhaka Central Jail on Tuesday night, he said.

During the trial proceedings earlier, the prosecution have claimed to have proved the charges and sought the highest punishment of the accused, while the defence have sought the acquittal of their clients, saying the state lawyers had “failed” to prove the charges.

Ahead of the verdict, security has been beefed up in the port city, especially in and around the court building, which is roughly 10 kilometres away from the Chittagong Urea Fertiliser Limited (CUFL) jetty on the Karnaphuli river where the seizure was made in 2004.

People across the country woke up in the morning to be stunned by the recovery of such a huge cache of arms and ammunition.

The weapons included 4,930 sophisticated firearms of different types, 840 rocket launchers, 300 rockets, 27,020 grenades, 2,000 grenade-launching tubes, 6,392 magazines and 11.41 million bullets.

In an unusual instance, the first charge-sheet was submitted in the arms case by hastily wrapping up the investigation in two months, while the charge-sheet in the smuggling case was submitted in four months.

The trial of both the cases started in 2005 with several loopholes as the probes overlooked some important factors such as who had brought the arms, from which country, what was the destination and how was a jetty of a state-owned body used for unloading the weapons.

Besides, only small fry, mostly labourers, truckers and trawler drivers were implicated, leaving out the big shots as the then BNP-led government allegedly tried to cover up the involvement of the state machinery, including its ministers and high officials of intelligence agencies.

However, after the 1/11 changeover in 2007, the Court of Chittagong Metropolitan Judge on February 14, 2008 ordered further investigation following a prosecution petition and the cases took a new turn.

Muniruzzaman Chowdhury, senior assistant superintendent of Criminal Investigation Department and the fifth investigation officer of the cases, submitted two supplementary charge-sheets in June 2011, accusing 11 new suspects including Babar and Nizami.

Paresh Barua, former (NSI) Brig Gen (retd) Abdur Rahim, the then director of (DGFI) Maj Gen (retd) Rezzakul Haider Chowdhury, who was later appointed as the DG of NSI, were also charged in both the cases.

The rest new suspects were former NSI director wing commander (retd) Shahab Uddin, ex-NSI deputy director Maj (retd) Liakat Hossain, ex-NSI field officer Akbar Hossain Khan, former additional secretary of industries ministry Nurul Amin, ex-managing director of CUFL Mohsin Talukder and former CUFL general manager (admin) Enamul Hoque.

All 11 new suspects, except Ulfa leader Paresh and Nurul Amin are now behind bars. With their inclusion the number of the total accused rose to 50 and 52 in the arms and smuggling cases respectively.

Of them, 12 in the arms case and 13 in the smuggling case have been absconding.

The long-delayed trial finally began at the Chittagong Metropolitan Special Tribunal-1 on November 29, 2011 and 56 prosecution witnesses testified in the arms case and 53 in the smuggling case.

After proceedings lasting over 35 long months, Judge SM Mojibur Rahman of the tribunal on January 13 set the date of verdict in the cases.

SECURITY MEASURES

Security has been stepped up on the court premises since Monday with 24-hour police surveillance in front of Chittagong Metropolitan Special Tribunal Judge SM Mojibur Rahman's office, the courtroom, in front of the prosecution lawyer and public prosecutor Kamal Uddin Ahmed's office and at the entry of the court building.

Additional Deputy Commissioner (Prosecution) Muhammad Rezaul Masud told The Daily Star yesterday more than 200 policemen would be deployed at the court building and its surrounding areas, while several police check-posts would be set up on the way between Chittagong central jail and the court building.

Members of the Detective Branch, Armed Police Battalion and Rapid Action Battalion would be on hand, he added.

Published: 10:48 am Thursday, January 30, 2014

10-TRUCK ARMS HAUL | Nizami, Babar among 14 to hang

mast news hai...... let these animals hang now....
all the jamatis can cry a river now....

So after getting rid of JI, the guns will be turned towards the other main opposition party...and than their will be no one left to oppose the current regime... nice :woot:

So after getting rid of JI, the guns will be turned towards the other main opposition party...and than their will be no one left to oppose the current regime... nice :woot:

Do you support terrorism? Do you support Jamaat?

Do you support terrorism? Do you support Jamaat?

you should be happy after reading my comments, as i am supporting the actions taking by the current regime:dance3: ... i would have done the same to have full control over my estate..:azn:..btw i am against all form of terrorism be it by individuals or by state.. :coffee:
i dont giv a dam what u do with jammat... :butcher:

you should be happy after reading my comments, as i am supporting the actions taking by the current regime:dance3: ... i would have done the same to have full control over my estate..:azn:..btw i am against all form of terrorism be it by individuals or by state.. :coffee:
i dont giv a dam what u do with jammat... :butcher:

Pakistan's ISI was involved in it. What is your opinion on it? Would you deny it as usual?

Back
Top Bottom