N.Siddiqui

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
  • Blast from the past: Colorful vintage cars rekindle fond memories for many
    APP | Dawn.com

5c0a9ea847e9e.jpg

Vintage and Classic cars club of Pakistan arranged a car show titled "Heritage on wheels" in Islamabad at the Serena Hotel on Friday.

Senator Dr Shahzad Waseem who inaugurated the show whilst speaking to APP remarked that it was a wonderful event as it was a source of amusement for the public.

He said it would portray a soft image of Pakistan before the international community.

“I have also chipped in three of my vintage 1964 models in the car show,” said Waseem.

The senator said vintage cars were a source of inspiration and that they remind us of our past.

Chairman of the Vintage and Classic Cars Club of Pakistan, Mohsin Ikram, said that the main purpose of the event was to create awareness among the people about the importance of vintage and classic cars.

As many as 60 vintage including 15 cars from Karachi, 12 from Lahore, and 20 from Islamabad were brought to the show, he said. The 1922 French-manufactured Amilcar, UK-built TR cars and German-made IGB cars were also showcased.

Ikram said a rally of cars came from Karachi to Islamabad and will go to Peshawar at Islamia College.

The show witnessed a huge gathering of people of which some were from Switzerland, China, and Ireland.

A 1954 TR car owner Shahzab said, “I have kept this car since my childhood as I am fond of vintage cars”.

Earlier in November, around 60 vintage cars participated in a classic car show arranged by the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa tourism department which was held at the Peshawar Services Club. Senior Minister for Tourism, Culture, and Sports Mohammad Atif Khan had also participated in the event as chief guest.

The bevy of vehicles had started from the mausoleum of Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah in Karachi and moved through various cities including Sukkur, Bahawalpur, Lahore and Islamabad, finally culminating its journey in Peshawar.

5c0a97899d2e7.jpg

The show witnessed a large group of admirers looking to get a feel of what it was like to ride a now classic vehicle. —APP

5c0a9789d296b.jpg

Visitors posing inside a classic vehicle. —APP

5c0a978a12a2c.jpg

Hoods glistened and the chrome on wheels sparkled to the joy of visitors flocking to sit inside each exhibit. —APP

5c0a978a20d99.jpg

A family stops to examine the pristine interior of a two-seater. —APP

5c0a979fcadaf.jpg

A car afficianado from Karachi participating in the earlier held KP-sponsored classic car show. —@PTIofficial

5c0a979fd5164.jpg

A brightly-coloured Volkswagen seen on the Peshawar Motorway. —@PTIofficial

5c0a97a01c189.jpg

Passersby couldn't help but stop to look at the motorcade of classic vehicles on the Peshawar Motorway. —@PTIofficial

5c0a981386a63.jpg

An interior to match the bold exterior. —@PTIofficial

5c0a97f7a06db.jpg

A setting sun reflected in the turquoise exterior of this classic car. —@PTIofficial

5c0a97f7d594f.jpg

A proud owner driving a vintage Rolls-Royce down the highway. —@PTIofficial

5c0a97f7ee7a8.jpg

A bevy of beautiful antiques arriving to participate in the classic car show in Peshawar. —@PTIofficial

5c0a98140ee27.jpg

The well-maintained interior is evidence of the love for vintage cars in Pakistan. —@PTIofficial

5c0a9a41e7f0d.jpg

Senior Minister of Tourism, Sports, and Culture Mohammad Atif Khan interacting with the displayed vehicles at the classic car show in Peshawar. —@PTIofficial

5c0a9a422dac9.jpg

A woman gets behind the wheel and looks in the side view mirror of a classic car displayed in Peshawar. —@PTIofficial

5c0a9acc2a362.jpg

The glittering cars included the 1947 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith and the 1924 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost used on August 14, 1947 by Quaid-i-Azam. —@PTIofficial

5565888cb3aeb.jpg

Classic cars parked outside a restaurant in Karachi. —AP Photo

5565888ba0f0b.jpg

Monogram of a 1914 Ford car, restored by Mohsin Ikraam, president of the Vintage and Classic Car Club of Pakistan. —AP Photo

5565887763099.jpg

Raja Mujahid Zafar, drives his six cylinder Wolseley 1936 model car on a street in Islamabad. —AP Photo

5565888c34bb0.jpg

A man jump starts a six cylinder Wolseley 1936 model car, in Islamabad. —AP Photo

Back
Top Bottom