What's new

BJP MP warns women of crossing limits or pay like Sita

Everyone can have an opinion. Being stupid and out of touch is not a criminal offense. The chap is a minister in the state government of Madhya Pradesh(he is not an MP as the tittle suggests) and to expect him to mouth anything different is foolish. To expect urban sensibilities from someone like him is silly, to say the least. In any case, having an opinion is not a crime, even if that opinion feels outdated in our present time. He represents a slightly more conservative people & is probably quite conservative himself. There are politicians in the U.S. who share his views, no reason to attempt to bully everyone into following the same set of values. Attempting to connect values with a particular case of rape is a disgraceful act & must be condemned, the rest of it amounts to holding an conservative opinion and must be treated as such.

Sati as a practise was NEVER practised in ancient india..its origins lay with the onset of the islamic invasions in medieval india..when it was first started by the rajput women as a means of preserving their dignity from the islamic invaders. It was only by the late 15th 16th century that it became a forcible practise and even then it was not practised on a pan-india level.

Not correct, it was practiced before the arrival of Islamic invaders. You are more likely referring to Jauhar which is a different practice.

Not correct, it was practiced before the arrival of Islamic invaders. You are more likely referring to Jauhar which is a different practice.

Any references..? I mean the timeframe and places where it was practised..

Just came on my Twitter time line..the doctored video of Mohan Bhagwat was from an ANI reporter named "Stringer" and he has been fired. Media with egg on its face. Also Smita Prakash, editor ANI and Pierre Fitter Asst editor have apologised for the fault.

Just came on my Twitter time line..the doctored video of Mohan Bhagwat was from an ANI reporter named "Stringer" and he has been fired. Media with egg on its face. Also Smita Prakash, editor ANI and Pierre Fitter Asst editor have apologised for the fault.

thats a big case if it is true. anything official from ANI/ToI?

by the way stringer means reporter and its NOT a name

thats a big case if it is true. anything official from ANI/ToI?

by the way stringer means reporter and its NOT a name

It was on their twitter time line..since ANI is by itself not a news broadcasting agency i guess this is as official as it can get..And already Sagarika Ghose, the second in command in IBNLive apologised on twitter for "misquoting" Bhagwat ji.

He never said women..he said vyakti..meaning person..meaning there were moral systems in ancient india which was followed by both men and women and which are getting degraded with blind aping of western culture.

That is a very dangerous line, most "ancient" moral systems in India were caste driven and were certainly disadvantageous to the majority including women.

Any references..? I mean the timeframe and places where it was practised..

I believe Eran in MP has a large number of Sati stones going all the way back to the Gupta Empire. There are references (by some Greek historians traveling with the armies of Alexander) to it being practiced even earlier. There are references to it being practiced in Karnataka from the 9th century through the period of the Vijaynagar Empire. There were some early references to it having been practiced by a royal dynasty in one of the Tamil kingdoms (I have to check references to remember which one correctly)

There are references to it in the Mahabharata where Madri, one of the wives of Pandu commits Sati leaving Kunti to raise her children.

There is plenty of evidence suggesting that Sati was practiced much before the Islamic invaders came to India. That argument is not viable.

Sometimes people might not say i directly, but the implication they put is enough to tell you what they really mean to say. You have your vested political interests with this RSS guy perhaps, which is causing you to not see some pretty clear implications he made.

This is what the RSS guy really just said:
1) Spread of Western culture is causing rape in India (but somehow this does not cause as much rape in the West itself)
2) Women should not cross moral boundaries (aka follow Western culture, aka dresss in mini-skirts and revealing dresses)
3) Women have been through much worse in Ancient India, considering burning women alive in Sati is also supposed to be part of this glorious "Ancient Value System", then its beyond time we got rid of everything related to this system.

Women did that on their own will,not because of being forced to.

Men also commited suicide when they lost their honour,is not one and the same as rape.

And you think it is all good in the west,haven't you seen the movie Taken and how girls get smuggled into eastern europe?

Women aping 'foreign culture' not good for India: BJP leader Babulal Gaur PTI | Jan 14, 2013, 09.47 AM IST

SAGAR: After Madhya Pradesh minister Kailash Vijaywargiya drew flak for 'laxmanrekha' remark, his senior colleague Babulal Gaur on Sunday said 'foreign culture' of women wearing jeans and T-shirts, drinking liquor and dancing with other men is not good for India."Women in foreign countries wear jeans and T-shirts, dance with other men and even drink liquor, but that is their culture. It's good for them, but not for India, where only our traditions and culture are ok," urban administration & development minister Gaur said when asked about controversies over women's dress.

However, he said, "Let women consider what is good and bad for them".
The minister arrived here to lay foundation stone for developmental works being carried out under the Chief Minister's Infrastructure Development Scheme.

Recently, Madhya Pradesh industries minister, Kailash Vijaywargiya had drawn flak for advising women not to cross their "lakshman rekha".

Women aping 'foreign culture' not good for India: BJP leader Babulal Gaur - The Times of India

Women aping 'foreign culture' not good for India: BJP leader Babulal Gaur PTI | Jan 14, 2013, 09.47 AM IST

SAGAR: After Madhya Pradesh minister Kailash Vijaywargiya drew flak for 'laxmanrekha' remark, his senior colleague Babulal Gaur on Sunday said 'foreign culture' of women wearing jeans and T-shirts, drinking liquor and dancing with other men is not good for India."Women in foreign countries wear jeans and T-shirts, dance with other men and even drink liquor, but that is their culture. It's good for them, but not for India, where only our traditions and culture are ok," urban administration & development minister Gaur said when asked about controversies over women's dress.

However, he said, "Let women consider what is good and bad for them".
The minister arrived here to lay foundation stone for developmental works being carried out under the Chief Minister's Infrastructure Development Scheme.

Recently, Madhya Pradesh industries minister, Kailash Vijaywargiya had drawn flak for advising women not to cross their "lakshman rekha".

Women aping 'foreign culture' not good for India: BJP leader Babulal Gaur - The Times of India

Idiots and morons like thos BJP leaders are the not good for India.

i don't know how these goddamned illiterates become mp's and mla's
f**k democrazy

It seems India has to face more international shame and humiliation.
Good, at least people know another side of India now. Constant feel good news about India (and seeing everything is same back home in every trip) was driving me mad.

This is not just confined to a single party or single MP. Every political party is represented by such mentality irrespective of their level of education. After all we had that 'dented' & 'painted' comment from President's son.... & am sure he is decently educated compared to most of those bunch.

Back
Top Bottom