What's new

Bhullar clinches 4th Asian title with Macau triumph

Che Guevara

Reaction score
MUMBAI: A hot putter and quest to surpass idol Jeev Milkha Singh's record of 14 international titles was enough for Gaganjeet Bhullar to maintain a start-to-finish dominance at the Macau Golf & Country Club on Sunday for his second Asian Tour title of the season and fourth of his career.

Bhullar, who has eight top-10 finishes from 17 starts this year, quelled a spirited fightback from American Jonathan Moore with a 12-foot birdie on the final hole to clinch the Venetian Macau Open by two stokes and give boost to his confidence ahead of this week's $1.25 million Hero Indian Open in Bangalore. His overall total read 16-under 268.

"He is my idol and an inspiration to all youngsters like me. Jeev has more than 10 international titles under his belt and I've only won four till now. I would like to overtake him by next year (laughs). At least in the course of my career, which is not impossible," a jubilant Bhullar told TOI from Macau.

Asked about how he saw his wire-to-wire triumph, the 24-year-old said: "It's like a miracle, difficult to believe, as I made a bogey on the very first hole of the tournament. Two wins in one month is a big thing, though I have done it on the PGTI circuit in the past. My driving has always been good but my putting was better as I made some crucial par saves in the final round, especially the one on the 17th after a bogey on the 13th, that kept away any threat to my title chances. My tee shots landed in the right places but holing them from good distances made the difference."

Meanwhile, Shiv Kapur carded a four-under 67 in the final round to emerge as the second-best Indian at tied fifth with a four-day tally of 10-under 274. Kapur sees his resurgence in form as the perfect gift before the Indian Open, where his best finish (tied third) came in 2010.

"My form has been really good over the past couple of months. I couldn't have asked for a better lead-up to the Indian Open than this. I have got a good record at KGA (Karnataka Golf Association course) and am a lot more confident going into the Open this time," said Kapur, whose last win came in the Volvo Masters of Asia in 2005.

Bhullar clinches 4th Asian title with Macau triumph - The Times of India

so many good news in sports....

Back
Top Bottom