What's new

Best Defence scientists in your country .

punjabiboy

Reaction score
post the pictures of great defence scientist in your country .

who is behind your misslies test , space programme, aircrafts designing , nuclear tests. lots more .which made you proud . great defence scientists

Homi Jehangir Bhabha "father of Indian nuclear programme"

Homi Jehangir Bhabha, FRS (Hindi: होमी भाभा; 30 October 1909 – 24 January 1966) was an Indian nuclear physicist, founding director, and professor of physics at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.[1] Colloquially known as "father of Indian nuclear programme",[2] Bhabha was the founding director of two well-known research institutions, namely the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) and the Trombay Atomic Energy Establishment (now named after him); both sites were the cornerstone of Indian development of nuclear weapons which Bhabha also supervised as its director.[

Atomic Energy in India
When Bhabha was working at the Indian Institute of Science, there was no institute in India which had the necessary facilities for original work in nuclear physics, cosmic rays, high energy physics, and other frontiers of knowledge in physics. This prompted him to send a proposal in March 1944 to the Sir Dorabji Jamsetji Tata. Tata Trust for establishing 'a vigorous school of research in fundamental physics'. In his proposal he wrote :
“ There is at the moment in India no big school of research in the fundamental problems of physics, both theoretical and experimental. There are, however, scattered all over India competent workers who are not doing as good work as they would do if brought together in one place under proper direction. It is absolutely in the interest of India to have a vigorous school of research in fundamental physics, for such a school forms the spearhead of research not only in less advanced branches of physics but also in problems of immediate practical application in industry. If much of the applied research done in India today is disappointing or of very inferior quality it is entirely due to the absence of sufficient number of outstanding pure research workers who would set the standard of good research and act on the directing boards in an advisory capacity ... Moreover, when nuclear energy has been successfully applied for power production in say a couple of decades from now, India will not have to look abroad for its experts but will find them ready at hand. I do not think that anyone acquainted with scientific development in other countries would deny the need in India for such a school as I propose.
The subjects on which research and advanced teaching would be done would be theoretical physics, especially on fundamental problems and with special reference to cosmic rays and nuclear physics, and experimental research on cosmic rays. It is neither possible nor desirable to separate nuclear physics from cosmic rays since the two are closely connected theoretically.[5]
”

Homi Bhabha with Australian physicist Mark Oliphant, 1954
The trustees of Sir Dorabji Jamsetji. Tata Trust decided to accept Bhabha's proposal and financial responsibility for starting the Institute in April 1944. Bombay was chosen as the location for the prosed Institute as the Government of Bombay showed interest in becoming a joint founder of the proposed institute. The institute, named Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, was inaugurated in 1945 in 540 square meters of hired space in an existing building. In 1948 the Institute was moved into the old buildings of the Royal Yacht club. When Bhabha realized that technology development for the atomic energy programme could no longer be carried out within TIFR he proposed to the government to build a new laboratory entirely devoted to this purpose. For this purpose, 1200 acres of land was acquired at Trombay from the Bombay Government. Thus the Atomic Energy Establishment Trombay (AEET) started functioning in 1954. The same year the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) was also established.[6] He represented India in International Atomic Energy Forums, and as President of the United Nations Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy, in Geneva, Switzerland in 1955. He was elected a Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1958.[7]
press29a.jpg

atomic-explosion-4.jpg

A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

“Missile Man of India” – A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Dr. Kalam is credited with the development and operationalisation of India’s Agni and Prithvi missiles.
abdulkalam+fb.jpg

Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (born 15 October 1931) usually referred to as Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, is an Indian scientist and administrator who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. Kalam was born and raised in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, studied physics at the St. Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli, and aerospace engineering at the Madras Institute of Technology (MIT), Chennai.
Before his term as President, he worked as an aerospace engineer with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).[1] Kalam is popularly known as the Missile Man of India for his work on the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology.[2] He played a pivotal organizational, technical and political role in India's Pokhran-II nuclear tests in 1998, the first since the original nuclear test by India in 1974. Some scientific experts have however called Kalam a man with no authority over nuclear physics but who just carried on the works of Homi J. Bhabha and Vikram Sarabhai.[3]
Kalam was elected the President of India in 2002, defeating Lakshmi Sahgal and was supported by both the Indian National Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party, the major political parties of India. He is currently a visiting professor at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad and Indian Institute of Management Indore, Chancellor of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Thiruvananthapuram, a professor of Aerospace Engineering at Anna University (Chennai), JSS University (Mysore) and an adjunct/visiting faculty at many other academic and research institutions across India.
Kalam advocated plans to develop India into a developed nation by 2020 in his book India 2020. Books authored by him have received considerable demands in South Korea for the translated versions.[4] He has received several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honour. Kalam is known for his motivational speeches and interaction with the student community in India.[5] He launched his mission for the youth of the nation in 2011 called the What Can I Give Movement with a central theme to defeat corruption in India.
Abdul_Kalam_-_India''s_Missile_Man.jpg

agni_missiles1.jpg

Tessy Thomas (Agni Putri,)

Read more at: India's Missile Woman: Tessy Thomas : Profile - India Today

Tessy Thomas (born in 1964) is the Project Director for Agni-IV missile in Defence Research and Development Organisation. She is the first woman scientist to head a missile project in India.
"It is an honour to be called Missile Woman and Agni Putri,'' she says, beaming. She loves the moniker, more so because her role model, APJ Abdul Kalam, is called the Missile Man. She could have been an IAS officer; she even wrote the exam. But the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) interview happened the same day, and she got through. Kalam placed her in the Agni missile programme once she finished her MTech from the Defence Institute of Armament Technology, Pune, and that is where she has been ever since. "He created a great forum for the exchange of ideas and all of us have benefited from that,'' she says.
dr+tessy+thom-3.jpg

Dr+Tessy+Mathew.jpg

J. Robert Oppenheimer

"father of the atomic bomb" Manhattan Project,
j-robert-oppenheimer.jpg

Julius Robert Oppenheimer[note 1] (April 22, 1904 – February 18, 1967)[1] was an American theoretical physicist and professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley. Along with Enrico Fermi,[2][3] he is often called the "father of the atomic bomb" for his role in the Manhattan Project, the World War II project that developed the first nuclear weapons.[4] The first atomic bomb was detonated on July 16, 1945, in the Trinity test in New Mexico; Oppenheimer remarked later that it brought to mind words from the Bhagavad Gita: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."[note 2]
After the war he became a chief advisor to the newly created United States Atomic Energy Commission and used that position to lobby for international control of nuclear power to avert nuclear proliferation and an arms race with the Soviet Union. After provoking the ire of many politicians with his outspoken opinions during the Second Red Scare, he had his security clearance revoked in a much-publicized hearing in 1954, and was effectively stripped of his direct political influence; he continued to lecture, write and work in physics. A decade later President John F. Kennedy awarded (and Lyndon B. Johnson presented) him with the Enrico Fermi Award as a gesture of political rehabilitation.
Oppenheimer's notable achievements in physics include the Born–Oppenheimer approximation for molecular wavefunctions, work on the theory of electrons and positrons, the Oppenheimer–Phillips process in nuclear fusion, and the first prediction of quantum tunneling. With his students he also made important contributions to the modern theory of neutron stars and black holes, as well as to quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and the interactions of cosmic rays. As a teacher and promoter of science, he is remembered as a founding father of the American school of theoretical physics that gained world prominence in the 1930s. After World War II, he became director of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton.
H07.jpg

Vikram Sarabhai

He is considered to be "Father of the Indian space program."

Indian space programme
sarabhai1.png

The establishment of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) was one of his greatest achievements. He successfully convinced the government of the importance of a space programme for a developing country like India after the Russian Sputnik launch. Dr. Sarabhai emphasized the importance of a space programme in his quote:
"There are some who question the relevance of space activities in a developing nation. To us, there is no ambiguity of purpose. We do not have the fantasy of competing with the economically advanced nations in the exploration of the moon or the planets or manned space-flight."
"But we are convinced that if we are to play a meaningful role nationally, and in the community of nations, we must be second to none in the application of advanced technologies to the real problems of man and society."
Dr. Homi Jehangir Bhabha, widely regarded as the father of India's nuclear science program, supported Dr. Sarabhai in setting up the first rocket launching station in India. This center was established at Thumba near Thiruvananthapuram on the coast of the Arabian Sea, primarily because of its proximity to the equator. After a remarkable effort in setting up the infrastructure, personnel, communication links, and launch pads, the inaugural flight was launched on November 21, 1963 with a sodium vapour payload.
As a result of Dr. Sarabhai's dialogue with NASA in 1966, the Satellite Instructional Television Experiment (SITE) was launched during July 1975 – July 1976 (when Dr.Sarabhai was no more).
Dr. Sarabhai started a project for the fabrication and launch of an Indian satellite. As a result, the first Indian satellite, Aryabhata, was put in orbit in 1975 from a Russian Cosmodrome.
Dr. Sarabhai was very interested in science education and founded a Community Science Centre at Ahmedabad in 1966. Today, the centre is called the Vikram A Sarabhai Community Science Centre.
He led the 'Sarabhai' family's diverse business conglomerate.
His interests varied from science to sports to statistics. He set up Operations Research Group (ORG), the first market research organization in the country.
Sarabhai established many institutes which are of international repute. Most notable among them are Nehru Foundation for Development in Ahmedabad, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA), which is considered world class for its management studies. Also he helped establish Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), which is doing a commendable job[4][5] in R&D in physics. Sarabhai set up Ahmedabad Textiles Industrial Research Association (ATIRA), which helped the booming textiles business in Ahmedabad. He also set up Center for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT). Not stopping with all these, he went ahead and set up Blind Men Association (BMA) which helps visually challenged people with necessary skills and support. And along with wife Mrinalini Sarabhai he founded Darpana Academy of Performing Arts.
Other well known institutions established by him include Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR) in Kalpakkam, Variable Energy Cyclotron Project in Calcutta, Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL) in Hyderabad and Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL) in Jaduguda, Jharkhand.
vikram.jpg

The Birth of NASA
NASA's top management from 1958-1960 was T. Keith Glennan, Administrator (center), Hugh L. Dryden, Deputy Administrator (left), and Richard E. Horner, Associate Administrator (right). This photo, dated March 1, 1960 and probably taken at NASA’s first Headquarters at the Dolley Madison House, also shows the new seal of NASA above Glennan.
219914main_birth_nasa.jpg

First Launch

A new chapter in space flight began in July 1950 with the launch of the first rocket from Cape Canaveral, Fla: the Bumper 2, an ambitious two-stage rocket program that topped a V-2 missile base with a Corporal rocket. The upper stage was able to reach then-record altitudes of almost 250 miles, higher than the International Space Station's orbit.
156108main_image_feature_644_ys_4.jpg

Launched under the direction of the General Electric Company, Bumper 2 was used primarily for testing rocket systems and for research on the upper atmosphere. The rockets carried small payloads that allowed them to measure attributes including air temperature and cosmic ray impacts. Seven years later, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik I and Sputnik II, the first satellites into Earth orbit.

Wernher von Braun
Wernher_von_Braun_crop.jpg

Rocket scientist
Wernher Magnus Maximilian, Freiherr von Braun was a German rocket scientist, aerospace engineer, space architect, and one of the leading figures in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany ...

HAL Tejas

The HAL Tejas (Hindi pronunciation: [t̪eːdʒəs]) is a multirole light fighter developed by India. It is a tailless,[N 1] compound delta-wing design powered by a single engine. It came from the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme, which began in the 1980s to replace India's ageing MiG-21 fighters. Later, the LCA was officially named "Tejas",[5][N 2] meaning "Radiance" by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Tejas-1.jpg

team tejas
photo8.JPG

c7.jpg

We cleared the Tejas based on the demonstrated capabilities, says Tamil Mani, Distinguished Scientist, CEMILAC Chief Executive,
c2.jpg

THE TEAM: Venkatesha T.V., Sc D, Head Mechanical Systems; S.N. Giri, Sc E, Head Structures; S.K. jebakumar, Sc E, Head Aero & CLAW; M. Peter Arjun, Sc E, Head IFCS; S. Nirmala, Technical Officer "c", Asst. Head of Electrical 7 Avionics Systems; Gracy Philip, Sc F, Head, Software Group, Pradeep Mahuli, Addl. Regional Director, Aircraft Escape Systems; P.R. Baghel, Reg. Director RCMA (A/C); K. Tamil Mani, Distinguished Scientist & Chief Executive, CEMILAC; P.S. Deshmukh, Sc G, Grp. Director (Systems); G. Gouda, Grop. Director (Propulsions); R. Kamala Kannan, Sc F, Addl. Director and Kanchan Biswas, Sc G, Associate Director (Aircraft)
c13.jpg

I have grown with Tejas and she‘s like my child: Nirmala, Technical Officer ‘C’, Assistant Head of Electrical and Avionics Systems
We follow the SEIZE (Satisfaction, Experience, Inspiration, Zeal and Enhancement) philosophy of work. I look after the hardware systems from the Avionics side. If there was delay in the program, then it was due to the lack of awareness and we are admitting it. But, that’s a thing of past and we have evolved. I am with this project for the last 10 years and I must tell that my male colleagues respected the technical capabilities. As a mother, I can say LCA is my baby. We have very strong sentimental attachment to this program and remember that we withstood all onslaughts. Eventually, the program is the winner
c9.jpg

I was shivering when I cleared Tejas for its maiden flight on Jan. 4: Gracy Philip, Scientist F, Software Group Head
I joined the program when I was 22 years. The digital-fly-by-wire systems are very safety critical. Ours is a very demanding job and I have seen it inside out for the last 18 years. Our job was to get into a detailed analysis whenever a failure happened. I am grateful to God that everything has been smooth. I still remember my hands were shivering and heart beat doubling when I cleared the first flight of Tejas on January 4, 2001. When we look back, we have crossed many milestones. We are wedded to this project and very much insulated from all the bad publicity. Ultimately, the truth has arrived. You can call it by any name – IOC, FOC, Induction.
ade9.jpg

We were all young, energetic and designing FCS for Tejas was a dream: Asha Garg, Sc F
Our average age in the team then was around 30. We were the software group. We were all chasing a big dream. We would never give up, even now. The Tejas project gave us an excellent starting point to our careers. We designed with precision and tested to perfection, which gave us the confidence to sit and monitor each flight.
P1010159.JPG

You need tones of self-motivation to work in DRDO and media should not scare away youngsters: Bipin, Sc C, FCCD
I am working with LCA project for the last 6 years. I am from a middle-class family and come from a small village (Rajdhanwar) in Jharkhand. I joined NIT Jamshedpur in 2000 for BE (Electronics) and four years later got selected to DRDO through campus recruitment. Many people told me not to join DRDO saying it’s a white elephant. I was getting just Rs 11,000 per month then and now things have changed. If you want to stay in DRDO a very important thing you need is self-motivation. It is not that I did not get any offer from other companies, but I wanted to work for LCA and wanted to see it in the IAF. I am also lucky in the sense that I have got a very good working environment. I was in the design team that developed the Air Data Computer (ADC) for LCA, which was flown successfully on 23 April 2010 onboard LSP3. With Tejas getting its IOC finally, I feel I have not done any mistake joining DRDO, as my close friends thought. And, back in my village, I am sure all my relatives and friends will be happy seeing the IOC news. I want more people from remote villages, who are talented, to come forward and join DRDO. I request the Media to encourage more people to join DRDO and don’t scare them away.

BrahMos missile

BrahMos (Hindi: ब्रह्मोस, Russian: Брамос) is a supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land. It is a joint venture between Republic of India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russian Federation's NPO Mashinostroeyenia who have together formed BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited.[3] The name BrahMos is a portmanteau formed from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia
brahmos.jpg

Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing Director, BrahMos Aerospace,
1359960567-brahmos.jpg

Akash (missile)
Akash (Sanskrit: आकाश Ākāś "Sky") is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile defense system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Ordnance Factories Board and Bharat Electronics (BEL) in India.[2][3][4] The missile system can target aircraft up to 30 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 m.[5] A nuclear warhead could potentially give the missile the capability to destroy both aircraft and warheads from ballistic missiles.[6][7][8] It is in operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.

Top defence scientist and project director of Akash missile (surface to air missile) Ramprasad Ramakrishna Panyam died of a massive cardiac arrest.

An outstanding Scientist and Associate Director of Defence Research and Development Laboratory, Hyderabad, Panyam was 58. He is survived by wife Nalini Panyam and two children.

He was instrumental in establishing the solid integral ramjet rocket technology in India. His contribution to Akash missile resulted in placement of production orders from the Indian Army and Indian Air Force, said a release from the Hyderabad-based laboratory.

Akash is one of the missile which has gone into production. The Bharat Dynamics Ltd was given orders to the tune of over Rs 5,000 crore initially to produce the missile for the Indian defence forces. The public sector company is in the process of establishing production lines to meet the demand
31hyskm03-Missi_HY_1254592e.jpg

Top defence scientist and project director of Akash missile (surface to air missile) Ramprasad Ramakrishna Panyam

first nuclear test by india ( second scientist behind india's first nuclear test)

Piara Singh Gill

Known for Advanced nuclear cosmic ray research. Scientists who worked on the Manhattan project & First director of CSIO.

Born 28 October 1911
Chela, Hoshiarpur district,
Punjab
British India
Died 23 March 2002 (aged 90)
Residence India
Nationality Indian
Fields Nuclear physics
Institutions Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
Atomic Energy Commission of India
Aligarh University
Punjab Agricultural University
University of Chicago
First Director of Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIO)
Alma mater University of Southern California
University of Chicago
Doctoral advisor Arthur Compton

220px-Professor_Piara_Singh_Gill.jpg

India's nuclear program began in 1944 when Homi J. Bhabha founded the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in 1944.[4] Nuclear physicist Piara Singh Gill also returned to the country from the United States after participating in the Manhattan Project in 1945.[4] Physicist Raja Ramanna later went on to play an integral role in the research of nuclear weapons technology.

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov (Russian: Михаил Тимофеевич Калашников; born 10 November 1919) is a Russian small arms designer, most famous for developing the AK-47, AKM, and AK-74 assault rifles.
Michael_Kalashikov.jpg

Kalashnikov was born in Kurya, Kuryinsky District, Altai Krai, Russia, to Aleksandra Frolovna Kalashnikova (née Kaverina) and Timofey Aleksandrovich Kalashnikov. His father was deported in 1930, that is, most of his family was deprived of property and deported to Siberia, to the village of Nizhnyaya Mokhovaya, Tomsk Oblast.[5][6] In his youth, Mikhail suffered from various illnesses and was on the verge of death at age six.[4] He was attracted to all kinds of machinery,[5] but also wrote poetry, dreaming of becoming a poet.[7] He went on to write six books and has continued to write poetry all of his life.[6][8] Kalashnikov's parents were peasants, but after deportation to Siberia had to combine farming with hunting, and thus Mikhail frequently used his father's rifle in his teens. He has since continued hunting through his 90s.

Mikhail_Kalashnikov.jpg

Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1949
AK-SMG-1942.jpg

Kalashnikov's first rifle

Back
Top Bottom