What's new

Bell Helicopter Signs Contract for Five Additional Bell 429s in Turkey

ozi2000

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Bell Helicopter Signs Contract for Five Additional Bell 429s in Turkey
Posted on December 22, 2012 by newdesk

FORT WORTH, TEXAS (December 21, 2012) – Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company (NYSE: TXT), announced today that it has signed an agreement with the Republic of Turkey Undersecretariat for Defence Industries for the supply of five Bell 429 aircraft. The Bell 429s will be operated by the Turkish General Directorate of Forestry (TGDF) to protect forest resources and coordinate firefighting operations.

“The decision to purchase Bell 429s for our mission was driven by the requirement for a fast, reliable and technologically-advanced helicopter. These aircraft will be performing challenging tasks, including firefighting operations, in demanding environments; the enhanced safety margins and exceptional speed of the 429 are critical advantages for the TGDF operations,” said Murad Bayar, the Undersecretary of Defence Industries for Turkey.

The TGDF will utilize the Bell 429s to survey and safeguard their woodland resources, comprising 27% of the surface area in Turkey. Upon delivery in early 2014, the new Bell 429s will replace TGDF’s existing fleet of helicopters.

“Delivering customer value is the focus of Bell Helicopter and our partnership with the Turkish General Directorate of Forestry is yet another example,” said Danny Maldonado, Bell Helicopter’s executive vice president of Sales and Marketing. “We are honored with TGDF’s endorsement of the Bell 429 for their multi-mission needs. This is an important milestone for the 429 and for Bell Helicopter in our mission to provide quality products and support to the European and Asian continents alike.”

The TGDF agreement follows the announcement of a contract with Bell Helicopter and the Turkish National Police (TNP) for the purchase of 15 Bell 429s. These aircraft, scheduled for delivery in August 2013, will carry out a variety of law enforcement missions from surveillance to air support of ground operations.

“Bell Helicopter is providing superb aircraft and support that meet the needs of parapublic operators in Turkey and beyond,” said Patrick Moulay, Bell Helicopter managing director for Europe. “Authorities in this region need aircraft capable of performing missions from coastal to high elevation environments and we are dedicated to meeting those requirements.”

TGDF is part of the Republic of Turkey’s Ministry of Environment and Forest. Their mission is to protect forest resources against any threats or danger, to enhance forest resources in an eco-friendly manner and to achieve sustainable forest management that benefits society while maintaining ecosystem integrity.

The Bell 429 is the world’s newest and most advanced light twin-engine helicopter. It has conducted extensive flight demonstrations in every continent, except Antarctica, and has been certified in more than 40 countries. With configuration options ranging from VIP to air-medical, law enforcement, utility and oil & gas, the Bell 429 offers superior mission capability and adaptability.

There is this deal which was now extended, then there is the one with Sikorsky, there are one or two helicopter development programs. Why did we not to for a similar deal like with atak. So confusing.

I think the use of this chopper is different than the others. It seems cheaper tu buy and use. In the article writes to cordinate and transport. And the budget of TDGF is notso big.

Agreed, we'll have a production line of Sikorsky S70 in TAI factories and we have an option to produce up to +600 more of them. Under the circumstances buying another type of medium-lift helicopter is stupid. We should just produce a dozen more S70ies and specialize them for firefighting.

Laco-s70-N160LA-040501-01.jpg

I think this shows there are still some problems with the negotiations for the S-70s if the ministry go ahead and bought these bells, But the number shows that these are just for stop-gap, I hope we can finally finish the contract because we really need these Black hawks...

I think SSİK screwed up this time. Why the hell they've given the tender to Sikorsky if they hadn't worked out all the details?

Anyhow it's too late for a new tender, it's about time we come to terms with Sikorsky aircraft.

Sikorsky can wait but not us, that's why the agreement is still under negociation.

I think SSM is too confident.

I think SSİK screwed up this time. Why the hell they've given the tender to Sikorsky if they hadn't worked out all the details?

Anyhow it's too late for a new tender, it's about time we come to terms with Sikorsky aircraft.
Its all politics,the AW149(TUH149)was a far better option but they still decided for the S-70(T-70).

Its all politics,the AW149(TUH149)was a far better option but they still decided for the S-70(T-70).
I could understand that, our pilots and technical crew has great experience with S70s. Besides, we already have them in land forces' inventory so we already have spare parts and logistics taken care of.

What i don't understand is why in bloody hell they have closed the tender in favor of Sikorsky without reaching an agreement on fundamentals. WTF is wrong? What's that so important ?

Now that AW149 out of competition we don't have any means to negotiate. We're out of bargaining chips.

This official document suggests an avrage cost of $21M apiece for UH60 in 2012. Please check page 1-13 (21 of 87):
1,597.4M / 75 = $21.29M apiece

And this is for US. Do you remember the $3B deal of 107 T70? ($28.29M apiece)
UHL60;The unit cost varies with the version due to the varying specifications, equipment and quantities. For example, the unit cost of the Army's UH-60L Black Hawk is $5.9 million while the unit cost of the Air Force HH-60G Pave Hawk is $10.2 million
The deal we have with Sikorsky includes more then just the helicopters,you pay for the whole program not just for the helicopters,this includes all kinds of upgrades and features.
The one im talking about is the simple version of the UH-6O series and it still is superior to the BELL-429.

UHL60;The unit cost varies with the version due to the varying specifications, equipment and quantities. For example, the unit cost of the Army's UH-60L Black Hawk is $5.9 million while the unit cost of the Air Force HH-60G Pave Hawk is $10.2 million

You are right. I saw the statement in wiki: "The unit cost varies with the version due to the varying specifications, equipment and quantities. For example, the unit cost of the Army's UH-60L Black Hawk is $5.9 million while the unit cost of the Air Force HH-60G Pave Hawk is $10.2 million."

But the date is important. If you check the reference provided by wiki (#29) you could find this: "As of early 2002 the US Army had ..." which means the figures in the article are at least 10 years old.

Apparently, Bell 429 is not chosen by an accident. Bayar said. “Bell Helicopter had a strong competitive performance during the tender stage and we believe this will continue during the execution of the contract.”

And in my opinion, Bayar is not a propaganda type man (Olmayacak duaya amin demeyelim).

In parallel, an official report named as "Response to Questions on the FY 2012 Budget" stated:
"The replacement process for the current Bell 407 helicopters is well underway. The approved proposal is for Police to replace their two current single-engine helicopters with one dual engine Bell 429 helicopter in FY 2011 and a second dual engine Bell 429 in FY 2012. The new helicopters are a long-term investment that are expected to have a life cycle of 20 years at a net cost (after selling the existing helicopters and completion costs) of approximately $5 million dollars each."

You are right. I saw the statement in wiki: "The unit cost varies with the version due to the varying specifications, equipment and quantities. For example, the unit cost of the Army's UH-60L Black Hawk is $5.9 million while the unit cost of the Air Force HH-60G Pave Hawk is $10.2 million."

But the date is important. If you check the reference provided by wiki (#29) you could find this: "As of early 2002 the US Army had ..." which means the figures in the article are at least 10 years old.

Apparently, Bell 429 is not chosen by an accident. Bayar said. “Bell Helicopter had a strong competitive performance during the tender stage and we believe this will continue during the execution of the contract.”

And in my opinion, Bayar is not a propaganda type man (Olmayacak duaya amin demeyelim).

In parallel, an official report named as "Response to Questions on the FY 2012 Budget" stated:
"The replacement process for the current Bell 407 helicopters is well underway. The approved proposal is for Police to replace their two current single-engine helicopters with one dual engine Bell 429 helicopter in FY 2011 and a second dual engine Bell 429 in FY 2012. The new helicopters are a long-term investment that are expected to have a life cycle of 20 years at a net cost (after selling the existing helicopters and completion costs) of approximately $5 million dollars each."

Lets not make it a competition,you are right.

Back
Top Bottom