What's new

Believe it Or Not ? :: The Russian Flying Fortress

in post #8, that aircraft is gigantic... Did it actually ever take off?

in post #8, that aircraft is gigantic... Did it actually ever take off?

Yes.

Thats the Ekranoplan
The Lun-class ekranoplan Ground effect vehicle ("harrier"; NATO reporting name Duck) was an unusual aircraft designed by Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev and used by the Soviet & Russian navies from 1987 to sometime in the late '90s. Ground effect aircraft use the extra lift of their large wings when in proximity to the surface (about one to four meters). It is one of the largest ever built, with a length of 73m, rivaling the Hughes H-4 Hercules ("Spruce Goose") and many modern jumbo jets.
The sole vessel of her class, MD-160 entered service with the Black Sea Fleet in 1987. Eight Kuznetsov NK-87 turbojets were mounted on forward canards, each delivering 127.4 kN (28,600 lbf) of thrust. MD-160 had a flying boat-like hull with a large deflecting plate at the bottom of the hull to provide a "step" for takeoff.
The aircraft was equipped for anti-surface warfare, carrying the P-270 Moskit missile. It was fitted with six missile launchers, mounted in pairs on the dorsal surface of the fuselage, and advanced tracking systems mounted in the nose and tail. A development of the Lun was planned for use as a mobile field hospital for rapid deployment to any ocean or coastal location. Work was 90% complete on this model, the Spasatel, but military funding ceased and it was never completed. The sole MD-160 is now unused at a naval station in a town of Kaspiysk.

More pictures of the monster! You will find many hi res pictures of the monster there. Its such a pity to see such a beauty in such decline!

Google maps pic links:
Link1:
Link2:

You could almost consider it to be a missile-carrying ship that can "make turns" for 300 knots! It would remain below the horizon, out of ship-borne (but not airborne) radar coverage, launch its missiles, then retreat.

I think the problem is that CAP aircraft from a carrier would locate it with ease, and it would be painfully simple to destroy.

I've always admired the Soviets for trying things like this. It's cool... the kind of stuff you dream of as a kid. "Wow, what if we put a jet engine on a train! Wouldn't that be awesome!" The U.S. tended to be practical to the point of boredom, with a few excursions like the SR-71 and the XB-70.

Gubbi thank you for the informative data and the pictures, indeed it is an amazing aircraft! I don't know if anyone here has ever seen a Japanese movie by the name of Laputa.. Reminds me of the zeplins in that very movie.

Thank you for sharing.

^^^^ its my pleasure to do, i will post more such pics when ever will able to acces net from pc. eles small post by cell

Back
Top Bottom