Beijing International Airport Terminal 1 to be world’s biggest

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Beijing International Airport Terminal 1 to be world’s biggest

504218-4aa3a966-ee0f-11e4-a93e-1e8761188867.jpg

Beijing International Airport Terminal 1 will be the biggest in the world. Picture: Zaha Hadid Architects. Source: Supplied

IT’S the world’s fastest growing aviation sector so it’s no wonder it needs the world’s biggest airport.

China has seen a boom in cashed up middle-class travellers ready to explore the world and to cope with this surge in tourists Beijing International Airport is building a new terminal bigger than any other in the world.

Terminal 1 is set for completion in 2018 and will span 700,000 square metres, processing 45 million passengers a year, or 125,000 people a day.

504246-4a3d1f84-ee0f-11e4-a93e-1e8761188867.jpg

Inside the terminal will be wide open spaces mostly column free. Picture: Zaha Hadid Architects. Source: Supplied

The six wings will be mostly column-free to enhance the feeling of openness and will join together in the middle at a central courtyard — designed to be a meeting space at the heart of the terminal.

Beijing International Airport is the busiest airport in China and the second busiest in the world. It is hoped with the completion of the new terminal that the airport will eventually accommodate more than 70 million passengers each year.

The world’s busiest airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport which was used by 96 million passengers last year. Heathrow was third busiest, with over 73 million passengers.

504298-49e4d4be-ee0f-11e4-a93e-1e8761188867.jpg

The airport is designed to fit in with the surrounding landscape.

Hope this airport soon surpass Heathrow airport.

Will this new airport be connected with a railway station?
This is a prerequisite, the passengers that it serves would not just the capital but also Hebei and Inner Mongolia. Transfer would not be any problem by this, a symbol of urbanization in excellence, the citizen can enjoy convenience no matter in urban or suburban, even rural.
Most of successful international airport in Europe have train station in subterranean, a bellwether is Amsterdam schipol international airport.

This is a prerequisite, the passengers that it serves would not just the capital but also Hebei and Inner Mongolia. Transfer would not be any problem by this, a symbol of urbanization in excellence, the citizen can enjoy convenience no matter in urban or suburban, even rural.
Most of successful international airport in Europe have train station in subterranean, a bellwether is Amsterdam schipol international airport.
Wuhan Tianhe International Airport will be linked to Wuhan-Xiaogan HSR next year. I have never traveled from Wuhan by air before, alway by HSR. If it is linked by HSR to the downtown Wuhan, I will change my traveling habit a little.

Wuhan Tianhe International Airport will be linked to Wuhan-Xiaogan HSR next year. I have never traveled from Wuhan by air before, alway by HSR. If it is linked by HSR to the downtown Wuhan, I will change my traveling habit a little.
Yes, CHINESE transportation should learn from Europe at very outset, rather than USA.

Hope this airport soon surpass Heathrow airport.
You must be living under a rock, even Beijing's current airport is several times bigger than Heathrow and with much more passangers.

Beijing current airport:: Terminal 3: Terminal three is the single largest airport expansion project that has ever taken place, and the fastest ever built. The two passenger terminal buildings will have a roof area of over 80 acres and measure 800m across at the widest point. These structures have a larger surface area than all of Heathrow's five terminals put together.

I think we are mixing a bunch of terms here.

Biggest terminal building or busiest terminal building or even biggest airport?

Biggest terminal: 1,713,000 m2 Dubai International Terminal 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Busiest terminal: Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Biggest airport: Denver International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia depending upon how you measure it.

700,000m2 doesn't top Dubai
I'm guessing "busiest" terminal not "biggest".

Last edited:
You must be living under a rock, even Beijing's current airport is several times bigger than Heathrow and with much more passangers.

Beijing current airport:: Terminal 3: Terminal three is the single largest airport expansion project that has ever taken place, and the fastest ever built. The two passenger terminal buildings will have a roof area of over 80 acres and measure 800m across at the widest point. These structures have a larger surface area than all of Heathrow's five terminals put together.

according to the article : 73mln > 70 mln

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom