What's new

Battle Tactics 1 - Hammer and Anvil

The favourite example of (7) beeing the Ulm campaign.

From Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ulm

Mack surrenders to Napoleon at Ulm by Paul-Émile Boutigny
On 14 October, Ney crushed Riesch's small corps at the Battle of Elchingen and chased its survivors back into Ulm. Murat detected Werneck's force and raced in pursuit with his cavalry. Over the next few days, Werneck's corps was overwhelmed in a series of actions at Langenau, Herbrechtingen, Nördlingen, and Neresheim. On 18 October he surrendered the remainder of his troops. Only Archduke Ferdinand Karl Joseph of Austria-Este and a few other generals escaped to Bohemia with about 1,200 cavalry. Meanwhile, Soult secured the surrender of 4,600 Austrians at Memmingen and swung north to box in Mack from the south. Jellacic slipped past Soult and escaped to the south only to be hunted down and captured in the Capitulation of Dornbirn in mid-November by Pierre Augereau's late-arriving VII Corps. By 16 October, Napoleon had surrounded Mack's entire army at Ulm, and three days later Mack surrendered with 25,000 men, 18 generals, 65 guns, and 40 standards.

Some 20,000 escaped, 10,000 were killed or wounded, and the rest made prisoner. About 500 French were killed and 1,000 wounded, a low number for such a decisive battle. In less than 15 days the Grande Armée neutralized 60,000 Austrians and 30 generals. At the surrender (known as the Convention of Ulm), Mack offered his sword and presented himself to Napoleon as, "the unfortunate General Mack."[2][3][4] Bonaparte smiled and replied, "I give back to the unfortunate General his sword and his freedom, along with my regards to give to his Emperor."[citation needed] Francis II was not as kind, however. Mack was court-martialed and sentenced to two years' imprisonment.

Yeah thats the classic example.One of my favourite too.

A distantly related observation i wanted to make. In a shaken army when the enemy attacks only a few formations stand up to the attack as the rest are demoralized and easily give in. But those who still want to win and stand up are badly battered because the whole weight of the assault falls on them. Hence the army is deprived of its only formations that still had high morale. And defeat is certain from there onwards. Morale should be maintained throughout the whole army. Pockets of morale result in defeat in battle. Total lack of morale results in surrender without battle which will get easier terms on the table. But defeat in battle will get tougher terms.

Back
Top Bottom