What's new

Battle Report #15 Ulm-Austerlitz 1805

This thread has got to be one of the top 5 Best threads in this Forum. Thank You, SIR @AUSTERLITZ for writing and organizing every detail. I have learned so much about the Napoleonic Wars reading from your threads.

Keep it coming, Sir.

Much much appreciated mate,(think i'm blushing)-i hope to continue doing the napoleonic wars until waterloo ,with one napoleonic war campaign in every 3 battle reports with other 2 being 1 ww2 campaign and 1 ancient/medieval battle.Next oen will be hopefully jena-auerstadt 1806-napoleon vs prussia.
And thanks also to omega for the bucket of thanks ,lol.

Beautiful.... Utterly Beautiful!! @AUSTERLITZ Truly you have researched & written a brilliant set of essays in this article!

This is truly one of the wonders of this forum!!

VIVE L'EMPEREUR!! VIVE LE NAPOLEON!!

@Picdelamirand-oil @Gabriel92 @Vergennes Do have a look at this thread
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@AUSTERLITZ Have you seen Voyna I Mir(The Russan lang film sponsored by the Soviet govt.)? There are some good battle scenes from that of the Napoleonic wars-Hollabrunn,Austerlitz & Borodino & the Cossack raids while the La Grand Armee departs Russia. Though I don't know if the plot is itself historically accurat.

All the parts are on Dailymotion though they vary in length. Overall they are about 8 hours long.English subtitles are there

A certain unfortunate general makes his appearance in the first part at 55:00 :partay:

Austerlitz starts & ends in the second part. Borodino starts in the 6th path & ends in the 7th Part.

Here is a scene from the battle of Hollabrunn staring General Bagration. I really love the French marching music here! Do you know where we can the get the music of the military/marching bands/drums online?

Here is a Russian folk song sung by the RUssian army on it's way to meet up with General Mack before they realise he has been defeated.

P.S:- I have two doubts.
1)They Say Kutuzov didn't take part in the planning before Austerlitz & is suppsoed to have privately told a confidant that he believes they will lose. He did his best to keep as many troops on the Heights as long as he could knowing the importance of it.
Had he been given total control of the battle,could the battle have been won?

2)Had YOU been the supreme commander in chief at Austerlitz. What would you have done to win the battle?

Afterall weren't there good commanders & more formidable troops on the Centre & the Left Flank on the French Army?

No, I'm serious & am asking this as a fellow Total War gamer.... Do you think a total assault on the centre by the Russians+ leading to Davout moving towards the heights could be possible?

Beautiful.... Utterly Beautiful!! @AUSTERLITZ Truly you have researched & written a brilliant set of essays in this article!

This is truly one of the wonders of this forum!!

VIVE L'EMPEREUR!! VIVE LE NAPOLEON!!

@Picdelamirand-oil @Gabriel92 @Vergennes Do have a look at this thread
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@AUSTERLITZ Have you seen Voyna I Mir(The Russan lang film sponsored by the Soviet govt.)? There are some good battle scenes from that of the Napoleonic wars-Hollabrunn,Austerlitz & Borodino & the Cossack raids while the La Grand Armee departs Russia. Though I don't know if the plot is itself historically accurat.

All the parts are on Dailymotion though they vary in length. Overall they are about 8 hours long.English subtitles are there

A certain unfortunate general makes his appearance in the first part at 55:00 :partay:

Austerlitz starts & ends in the second part. Borodino starts in the 6th path & ends in the 7th Part.

Here is a scene from the battle of Hollabrunn staring General Bagration. I really love the French marching music here! Do you know where we can the get the music of the military/marching bands/drums online?

Here is a Russian folk song sung by the RUssian army on it's way to meet up with General Mack before they realise he has been defeated.

P.S:- I have two doubts.
1)They Say Kutuzov didn't take part in the planning before Austerlitz & is suppsoed to have privately told a confidant that he believes they will lose. He did his best to keep as many troops on the Heights as long as he could knowing the importance of it.
Had he been given total control of the battle,could the battle have been won?

2)Had YOU been the supreme commander in chief at Austerlitz. What would you have done to win the battle?

Afterall weren't there good commanders & more formidable troops on the Centre & the Left Flank on the French Army?

No, I'm serious & am asking this as a fellow Total War gamer.... Do you think a total assault on the centre by the Russians+ leading to Davout moving towards the heights could be possible?

Thank you.
Kutuzov given freedom could have been effective before the russians decided on battle,once they decided to give battle..the way bonaparte set it up it wouldnt make much difference..perhaps fight would have been a bit harder at the centre.You have to understand ...the french imperial guard infantry,oudinots elite grenadier division and most of bernadotte's corps in the french side didnt even see combat.

I think i might have done more or less similar to the allied strategy,maybe left 10,000 troops more at the centre instead of total overload on one wing.But u have to understand ..a commanders choice is made by intelligence...allied intelligence never factored davout's and bernadotte's corps to be present...if those were not ,allies would have been easily successful.The tactics on the day of battle was less important than the way napoleon set up the battle strategically,even if i keep 10k more troops in centre still french have enough elite infantry reserves to break through as i noted earlier.Its really checkmate the moment allies committed to the battle.Napoleon knew this..thats why the moment he recieved news allied forces were on the move at midnight he said in 24 hrs that army is mine.

No attack on the centre would have bogged down completely..they had no intelligence.Moreover a whole french corps of 16,000 of soult was hidden on the reverse slope...the allied first column would have been shredded in an ambush.Secondly being on the reverse slope french troops would be protected from artillery.
Finally there was fog until 9;00...so attack would not progress at all.Meanwhile davout and bernadotte's free corps would double envelop them.(leaving bagration to lannes/murat and weak allied left wing to legrand and if needed oudinot(who could also reinforce centre),imperial guard would still be in reserve)

Back
Top Bottom