What's new

Bangladeshi community in London stands against rioters

Avisheik

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangalees stand against rioters

Members of Bangalee community fended off looters and chased them out of neighbourhoods in London that saw a lull in violence yesterday after three days of rioting.

In Whitechapel, home to Britain's largest Bangladeshi population, Bangalee youths, who had gathered for evening prayers outside East London Mosque, had chased 70 masked rioters out of the neighbourhood on August 8 night, reports British national daily The Independent.

"There's a real sense of community here, especially during Ramadan when people are supposed to look out for each other," said Abdul Jalil, the manager of the Deshi Fish grocery store opposite the mosque.

"The shutters will come down this evening but I'm going to stick around in case the rioters come into the area again," he said.

Mahbub Alam, 35, the proprietor of a computer shop in East London, said their intervention reflected the determination of the community to protect itself from the mob and make sure its shops and cafes did not suffer the same fate as others across the capital, reports The Daily Telegraph.

Akikur Rahman, a resident of Whitechapel, said, “We're going to stand united to defend our community.”

Rushanara Ali, lawmaker for Bethnal Green and Bow, visited the area yesterday and talked to locals.

The locals believed the rioters came from other boroughs, she said.

Councillor Josh Peck, leader of the Tower Hamlets Labour Party, said, “There is no excuse for the mindless criminality that we saw in Tower Hamlets last night.”

“It is important that residents remain calm, make sure they know their children are at home and look out for one another in the days and nights ahead,” said Josh Peck.

Meanwhile, Bangalee community leaders urged all to unite against the rioters and help restore law and order in London and elsewhere in the country.

The call came at an emergency meeting on Tuesday at Bangladesh Welfare Association in London.

They condemned the violence that continued for three days on Bethnal Green Road, Roman Road, and at Whitechapel in Tower Hamlets in the city.

Considering the prevailing situation, the authorities should put a ban on the proposed march by the English Defence League in Tower Hamlets on September 3, which is designed to whip up fear and incite violence, the leaders said.

It is not Bangladeshis alone who are confronting the rioters.

All Asians are!

When bengalee's have stoood against the heavily armed genocidal army then what these rioters are as compared to army just school kids.

It is not Bangladeshis alone who are confronting the rioters.

All Asians are!

The rioters are not a uniform set of racist supremacists... they're a mix of petty thieves, chavs and other crackpots living off government benefits trying to gain something beneficial. Many of the rioters are non-whites as well. So stop this rubbish about "Asians united against racists".

Do you know that even Whites are targeted by these loonies. Funny how a military professional is confused about the scenario.

The rioters are not a uniform set of racist supremacists... they're a mix of petty thieves, chavs and other crackpots living off government benefits trying to gain something beneficial. Many of the rioters are non-whites as well. So stop this rubbish about "Asians united against racists".

Do you know that even Whites are targeted by these loonies. Funny how a military professional is confused about the scenario.

I hope you are reading my posts right.

Where have I said that the Asians are united against racists?

I have said that it is not the Bangladeshi alone who have confronted the rioters, but all Asians.

Have you not read of the stand of the other Asian communities in their respective areas, ghettos to be precise?

What has a Military Professional got to do with my post?

I have not confused the scenario. I am in touch with UK just for your information.

I am afraid you do not have to teach me about England since I have good reasons to know about Great Britain, including such information that you may not be privy to!

Good reasons there!

At least, the uk govt can't blame these on the muslims. We have been too busy with iftar and tarabi.

At least, the uk govt can't blame these on the muslims. We have been too busy with iftar and tarabi.

That apart, check about the action taken by the Bangladeshis in Brick Lane.

Pretty good.

But then there are also great things happening in Pakistani majority areas and Indian majority areas too.

Even the whites are taking a stand.

Tshering22

they're a mix of petty thieves, chavs and other crackpots living off government benefits trying to gain something beneficial.

London Riots: Wealthy Teen, Organic Chef Among Accused Looters

Think England's rioters were just a bunch of thugs? Think again. According to The Sun, a millionaire's daughter, a ballerina and an organic chef were allegedly in on the action.

There are certainly exceptions to those grand theories about the London riots and socioeconomic discontent. What could explain the behavior of minted suburban teen Laura Johnson, who allegedly drove away from the London riots with $8,880 worth of cigarettes, booze and electrical goods in her car? When not out carousing in south London, the 19-year-old lives in her parents' £1 million farmhouse in the countryside (complete with tennis courts).

Read more: London Riots: Wealthy Teen, Organic Chef Among Accused Looters - TIME NewsFeed

I hope this helps.

The UK police are too soft on criminals and hooligans. They should take some lessons from Syria :tup:

Nothing to do with race. The rioters are mostly people who have squandered their chance of an education and now live on benefits. They are just rioting to get some free stuff, nothing more.

The UK police are too soft on criminals and hooligans. They should take some lessons from Syria :tup:

Even right now UK government is getting told off by one of the worst offenders of human rights like Iran and China [Not to forget they're second biggest economy of the world so UK can't even do much].

UK government is in the pickle if police becomes bit more strict.

Even right now UK government is getting told off by one of the worst offenders of human rights like Iran and China [Not to forget they're second biggest economy of the world so UK can't even do much].

Exactly, the police are more than capable. But if they used rubber bullets, water cannons etc. then some numpties would complain about human rights.

Their statements are pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Lived in the UK for four years, their police force are awesome but too too goody. They should be more tough and harsh against criminals.

Finally will have to agree with Tiki, the cake goes to all who stood against the rioters, kudos to all. Sadly if my understanding is right USA, France, Spain and other debt ridden countries will also have to face such days or worse situations.

Back
Top Bottom