ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Tribune desk
  • Published: 03:07 PM September 25, 2021
5G

5G service is going to be launched in Bangladesh

State-owned mobile phone operator Teletalk will launch 5G in the country on December 12 or 16 on a trial basis
Preparations for the 5G network are underway, with 5G services to be launched in the country sometime in December, said Posts and Telecommunications Minister Mustafa Jabbar.
The minister said state-owned mobile phone operator Teletalk will launch 5G in the country on December 12 or 16 on a trial basis.

This information was given in a webinar titled "5G Ecosystem in Bangladesh and Upcoming Technologies" organized by Telecom Reporters Network Bangladesh (TRNB) on Saturday (September 25).

He said, “The date has not been fixed yet. It will be launched in December. December 12 is Digital Bangladesh Day, December 16 is our Victory Day. 5G will be launched on any special and big day. ”

The Minister further said, “We are talking about the crisis of 5G devices. There will be no device crisis in the country before 5G is fully launched. Right now 5G smartphones are being made in Bangladesh. 90 percent of the demand for 4G smartphones is now being made in the country. ”

Sameer Kumar Dey, General Secretary of TRNB presented the keynote address at Webinar under the direction of TRNB President Rashed Mehdi.

BTRC Chairman Shyam Sundar Sikder, Commissioner (Wave Management) KM Shahiduzzaman, Grameenphone CEO Yasir Ajman, Robi Acting CEO M Riaz Rashid, Banglalink CEO Eric Os, Teletalk Managing Director Md. Sahab Uddin, Huawei Bangladesh Chief Operating Officer Tao Goan Geo, Ericsson Bangladesh Chief Abdus Salam, Amtab Secretary General Brigadier General (Retd.) SM Farhad were present.

The enormous possibilities of 5G
Jerry Wang Shiwu
  • Published at 01:57 pm January 17th, 2020
Digital Bangladesh Mela 2020 Huawei  5G

Courtesy

There are exciting times ahead for Bangladesh’s digital sector

Our world is moving faster and when it comes to communicating through mobile network, we have seen lots of changes.

Worldwide, the expansion of 3G had reached 500 million people over the course of nine years between 2001 and 2010 and the expansion of 4G has reached the same amount of people over the course of six years. 5G, however, is expected to reach 500 million users in half that time (only three years).

Looking into smartphones, we can find this similar scenario. It took three years to bring a full phase 3G smartphone, 4G handsets took three years as well, however 5G standard smartphones have been brought into market within the same year of 5G standards’ inauguration.

Besides, in the current context, it can be seen that 5G is accelerating more in the market, globally. From Africa, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia -- 5G has already been initiated and reached more than 61 contracts. The key focus remains on the enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) and the Fixed Wireless Access (FWA), which is wireless and high-speed internet. Currently 70% of the global 5G networks are powered by Huawei.

According to November statistics, Huawei has the largest number of 5G patents so far.

In the 5G industry report, we believe in allegiance all around. All of our devices, including the networks and spectrum, are ready. We believe that by 2025, the global connection of 5G will reach 1.25 billion. Bangladesh will be contributing in this number as well. And to be more specific, this country has already marked its footprint in 5G by accomplishing the first successful trial of 5G in cooperation with ROBI and Huawei technologies Bangladesh last year. This is the sixth successful 5G trial globally.

In 5G, the typical speed of one user can reach 1.6 gigabits per second. And, in the household activities, users will get a data transfer rate of 800 megabits per second.

So in this way, users can easily get 10 times more speed than what they are currently getting.

However, 5G is not limited to internet only, but it will also introduce services like connected auto-driving car, service drones, VR based education/entertainment, and the internet of things (IoT). Internet of things and Big Data are what we are bringing to the digital evolution.

About the IoT potentials in Bangladesh, the country already has the technology to connect people but this is not enough. Currently, there are smart watches and smart phones but in future, glasses, home electronics, furniture, kitchen kits, and many tools will have intelligence.

For the IoT eco-system structure, there are four layers where the APP platform remains on top with huge number of smart apps.

In 5G, there will also be smart health services including the ability to perform robotic surgery and remote rescues from places where usually it would take a long time for an ambulance to reach. Additionally, remote consultation, and wireless health and location monitoring services will be available as well. All of these would be essential to the progress and development of health care in Bangladesh.

Smart street lighting is also necessary since it saves around 50% of electricity in civil consumption. While smart parking would also be introduced and make car owners’ lives much easier. Smart education would include live eClassrooms, digital resource management, and make the students capable to connect from anywhere, record the class for future study, and create an unbound opportunity to learn.

This would also include VR learning, remote education, and learning through simulations. In order to evolve to this future, there are step-by-step instructions that are suggested.

The government will also need to work on this and set up regulations. Network is also important as on the IoT side. It needs flexible access, and cost-effectiveness. Bangladesh government is willing to launch 5G services and for that it is necessary to create long-term policy formulation in order to achieve Digital Bangladesh and the SDG goals.

Meanwhile to enhance technology adaptability further and carry the power of internet connectivity to the doorsteps of this enthusiastic nation, more flexible regulation can be designed.

Government’s encouragement and elasticity would play the most significant role in flourishing the era of IoT and 5G where only openness and creativity would help to build the eco-system in the quickest. Huawei, being the leading solution provider of 5G technology, would love to contribute in all possible ways to fulfill the dream of “Digital Bangladesh.”

Jerry Wang Shiwu is Chief Technical Officer, Huawei Technologies (Bangladesh) Ltd.

What a joke. Actual user end data speeds are hardly 3g.

You are right, thanks to the govt. (BTRC) not holding the providers to task, these Mofos are getting away with providing the slowest Internet speeds globally.

Our speeds are way slower than India and they get some bandwidth from us !! I can assure you, the cause is not technical.

It is the providers making money on the backs of Bangladeshi consumers, who pay a lot more for their bandwidth services than Indians do.

I posted the thread for entertainment purposes. Kinda sad really.

Last edited:
4G or LTE was huge flop in the country. 3G was by far the best upgradation, a huge jump over slow 2G.

People didn't see much difference between 3G and 4G. Customer still use prefer 3G over 4G due to price because the difference in data speed is minimal.

A high speed 3G connection can easily do smooth video conferencing. Why 4G then? It's of no use with very high price.

Now the new 5G gimmick. It will hardly do anything new in Bangladesh.

A high speed 3G connection is enough for Bangladesh. 4G or 5G may be need in tech based industry development but for common household to do data surfing and video streaming ensuring high speed 3G is more than enough.

So transferring from 3G to 5G will not make a huge difference among common Bangladeshi if price quote is still very high.

Having a smooth 3G connection is enough with low cost for Bangladeshis.

4G was huge flop. 5G will only work if price is low.

Now they'll enjoy 4k ****.

For any 4K programming - you don't need 5G, 4G is more than enough.

Now 8K - we're talking about needing 5G. Local cellphone providers in the US are getting into providing Internet for homes too (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile)

I am looking at getting an 8K TV at some point, prices are still kinda high, North of $3000 for a 65 incher. What about Kuwait? :-)

I'm sure wealthy Arabs are probably way ahead of the US, spending-wise.

This will probably be the slowest 5g in the world lol
For any 4K programming - you don't need 5G, 4G is more than enough.

Now 8K - we're talking about needing 5G. Local cellphone providers in the US are getting into providing Internet for homes too (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile)

I am looking at getting an 8K TV at some point, prices are still kinda high, North of $3000 for a 65 incher. What about Kuwait? :-)

I'm sure wealthy Arabs are probably way ahead of the US, spending-wise.
Starting from 1800 dollars for a Sony 8k upwards of 3k for a Samsung smart 8k

This will probably be the slowest 5g in the world lol

Starting from 1800 dollars for a Sony 8k upwards of 3k for a Samsung smart 8k

Thanks for the detail. I don't think we have a whole bunch of 4K content, forget about 8K. There's some in YouTube of course - but those are specialized videos made by video hobbyists. I could count 8K videos in the dozens maybe. on YT. Maybe other countries like Japan, China and Korea have more content.

Thanks for the detail. I don't think we have a whole bunch of 4K content, forget about 8K. There's some in YouTube of course - but those are specialized videos made by video hobbyists. I could count 8K videos in the dozens maybe. on YT. Maybe other countries like Japan, China and Korea have more content.
Personally I don’t see any visual difference between a 4K and 8k tv. I haven’t watched TV in 8 years now so it doesn’t matter to me either

Personally I don’t see any visual difference between a 4K and 8k tv. I haven’t watched TV in 8 years now so it doesn’t matter to me either

Yeah it also depends on content and how 8K was shot (what was used to shoot it).

Back in the day I thought HD was such an improvement over SD, but now 4K does seem so much better. But you have to have time to enjoy it.

Yeah it also depends on content and how 8K was shot (what was used to shoot it).

Back in the day I thought HD was such an improvement over SD, but now 4K does seem so much better. But you have to have time to enjoy it.
Ye I watch videos on iPad so 1080 is enough for me 😂🤡

Back
Top Bottom