What's new

Bangladesh seeks foreign partner to produce LCT for army

Gyp 111

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh seeks foreign partner to produce LCT for army - IHS Jane's 360

The Bangladeshi government is seeking a foreign partner to build at least one roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) landing craft tank (LCT) vessel in-country for the Bangladesh Army, an official from state-owned Khulna Shipyard has told IHS Jane's.

"The selected shipbuilder must complete the construction at either the Khulna or Narayangonj shipyards," the official said on 6 August.

According to tender documents provided to IHS Jane's, the LCT should be at least 65 m long and able to accommodate at least eight main battle tanks (MBTs), each measuring 9.76 m in length, 3.66 m in width, and 3.2 m in height.

Why need a foreign partner? I'm guessing they need something more modern than this local 66m LCT class (Shakti Shanchar) DEW is already making. And which MBT measures 9.76 m in length, 3.66 m in width, and 3.2 m in height? Chinese MBT?

89462b8c4b93f5b24e13bd28e08bf8c1.jpg

2ebtlw6.jpg

Last edited:
Bangladesh seeks foreign partner to produce LCT for army - IHS Jane's 360

The Bangladeshi government is seeking a foreign partner to build at least one roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) landing craft tank (LCT) vessel in-country for the Bangladesh Army, an official from state-owned Khulna Shipyard has told IHS Jane's.

"The selected shipbuilder must complete the construction at either the Khulna or Narayangonj shipyards," the official said on 6 August.

According to tender documents provided to IHS Jane's, the LCT should be at least 65 m long and able to accommodate at least eight main battle tanks (MBTs), each measuring 9.76 m in length, 3.66 m in width, and 3.2 m in height.

It's more of a LST then a LCT.

Why need a foreign partner? I'm guessing they need something more modern than this local 66m LCT class (Shakti Shanchar) DEW is already making. And which MBT measures 9.76 m in length, 3.66 m in width, and 3.2 m in height? Chinese MBT?

89462b8c4b93f5b24e13bd28e08bf8c1.jpg

2ebtlw6.jpg

Maybe be they are looking for something to operate in the coastal areas??!!Army/Navy Always went for batch production while it comes to LCT's classes.I really hope few more of these 66m's are on the way.These ships are very capable for Big river Amphibious operations.I don't think they can handle the rough weather conditions in the coastal seas.

China has some good cost effective LST designs.Or Indonesia maybe? Do they have some thing to offer??
Hey @cirr @Beast Help us here,will you please??

Maybe be they are looking for something to operate in the coastal areas??!!Army/Navy Always went for batch production while it comes to LCT's classes.I really hope few more of these 66m's are on the way.These ships are very capable for Big river Amphibious operations.I don't think they can handle the rough weather conditions in the coastal seas.

China has some good cost effective LST designs.Or Indonesia maybe? Do they have some thing to offer??
Hey @cirr @Beast Help us here,will you please??

OK I found out which MBT they're talking about. It is the MBT2000 (VT-1A variant of the Chinese Type 90). My guess they have over 40 but they will be ordering either more of this or the new VT-4 variant.
MBT_2000.jpg

Regarding Chinese LSTs the most likely they will offer is either

the 072-I class
32_full.jpg

the 072-III class
3159556613577684462.jpg

or the 074A class ) unique in that this is one of the most unusual catamaran LST's
PLAN-Type074A-01.jpg

PLAN-Type074A-04.jpg
PLAN-Type074A-03.jpg

OK I found out which MBT they're talking about. It is the MBT2000 (VT-1A variant of the Chinese Type 90). My guess they have over 40 but they will be ordering either more of this or the new VT-4 variant.
MBT_2000.jpg

Regarding Chinese LSTs the most likely they will offer is either

the 072-I class
32_full.jpg

the 072-III class
3159556613577684462.jpg

or the 074A class ) unique in that this is one of the most unusual catamaran LST's
PLAN-Type074A-01.jpg

PLAN-Type074A-04.jpg
PLAN-Type074A-03.jpg
Hmmm...
You can minus the Type 72 I-II.They are almost double in length specification given in the article.
Type 74A comes very close at the length being 58 meter in length.But they can transport three tanks and 70 troops.
I think the tank carried will be upgraded Type 59BD's.That way If they modify they design to lengthen it by 7-8 meters,they can carry 8 tanks and a platoon of 70 fully equipped troops.

Indonesia have this, KRI Teluk Bintuni Class, LST.
ab942dd9-74e5-4ef3-95f7-d56c48c79f23_169.jpg

bintuni2.jpg

DRU.jpg
It's a very good ship!!10 Tanks,2 helis and 2,3000 tons!!WOW!! :-) Indonesia has some very good LST,Amphibious Assault ship and frigate classes!!

But our army is looking for a 66 meter long,this ship is 120 meter,right?? :what:
KSW and DEW both can built ship up to 120 m.But this article says they are looking for something 65-66 meter long and most probably in 800-1000 ton displacement.:undecided:

It's a very good ship!!10 Tanks,2 helis and 2,3000 tons!!WOW!! :-) Indonesia has some very good LST,Amphibious Assault ship and frigate classes!!

This one indeed looks quite good and much cheaper to build than the our LPD. This 120 meters LST built to transport Leopard 2 tanks, 60T MBT. Here the sea trial video:

But our army is looking for a 66 meter long,this ship is 120 meter,right?? :what:
KSW and DEW both can built ship up to 120 m.But this article says they are looking for something 65-66 meter long and most probably in 800-1000 ton displacement.:undecided:

This is 1000T LCU design from Kodja Bahari Shipyard. We built several units recently for the army.

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-1_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-3_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-2_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

adri-49.png

Last edited:
This one indeed looks quite good and much cheaper to build than the our LPD. This 120 meters LST built to transport Leopard 2 tanks, 60T MBT. Here the sea trial video:

Looks great!!! :cheesy:

This is 1000T LCU design from Kodja Bahari Shipyard. We built several units recently for the army.

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-1_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-3_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

LCU%2B1000%2BDWT-2_Defense%2BStudies.JPG

adri-49.png
This one is great!!How many vehicle and troops it can carry?can it be modified to carry tanks??
And how much the unit cost??
And will Indonesia be willing in TOT?

Bangladesh is no place for tanks. Our roads are thin, grounds are soft, there are too many trees and forests in which enemies can hide. Better invest infantry, modernize them (would be cheaper too) and invest something in the air defence (SAMS and a few fighter jets that aren't Mig-29 or Mig-21 variants).

Bangladesh is no place for tanks. Our roads are thin, grounds are soft, there are too many trees and forests in which enemies can hide. Better invest infantry, modernize them (would be cheaper too) and invest something in the air defence (SAMS and a few fighter jets that aren't Mig-29 or Mig-21 variants).

First point is true to a big extent.Though can be argued and we did argue about it time and time.:coffee:

Second point,You will still need a good amphibious capability to deploy those infantry,especially when you have such giant rivers Cris-crossing the land mass.That the capability they are trying to achieve by acquiring this LCT/LCU's.:coffee:

Third point,Already In line of acquisition. :toast_sign:

Second point,You will still need a good amphibious capability to deploy those infantry,especially when you have such giant rivers Cris-crossing the land mass.That the capability they are trying to achieve by acquiring this LCT/LCU's.:coffee:
Where are these giant rivers you are talking about? They may have been once but nowadays they are all dried up. The LHT will get stuck in the shallow rivers before they reach their destination.

But my point was about purchasing more tanks as stated in the comments. We don't need more MBT-2000, we can modernize our existing T-69 to T-88.

This one is great! How many vehicle and troops it can carry? can it be modified to carry tanks?? And how much the unit cost?? And will Indonesia be willing in TOT?

1551209_20150219084459.jpg

DSC04720.JPG

This LCU can transport 300 troops, 22 trucks weighing 5 tons each, 12 units of wheeled or tracked combat vehicles, or materials weighing up to 500 tons. Cruising distance up to 3,000 nautical miles.

Since this is our own design, we can modify this LCU according to our requirement. I don't know about TOT, but we have done it before with acquisition of 18 units X12 high speed patrol boats.

Bangladesh Navy has ordered 18 High Speed Patrol Boat from Indonesia

Last edited:
Where are these giant rivers you are talking about? They may have been once but nowadays they are all dried up. The LHT will get stuck in the shallow rivers before they reach their destination.

But my point was about purchasing more tanks as stated in the comments. We don't need more MBT-2000, we can modernize our existing T-69 to T-88.
Not the major ones,other than the Padma.Not certainly Meghna or Jamuna or Brahmaputra.
They deploy different LCU/LCT on different mission.They won't deploy an 66 meter in a small river,they have other vessels with lesser draft and droughts.These ships are more likely to be deployed in the coastal rivers and seas.

BD is not going to buy more MBT-2000 as far as my sources are concerned.Type 69 was upgraded once to Mark-II G standard,but they are still junks.Upgrading them to Type 59 BD standard will be a different story though.

Back
Top Bottom