What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

I haven't been able to find any information on this proposed tower beyond the photos on here, I'm assuming it's for BRAC the NGO.

Do you perhaps have any information on the floor count ? Just curious, looks good.

Hasina will definitely put in a motif with Banghabandhus face on the buildings. She is destroying his legacy and depreciating what love people have for him.
- I will tell you the same thing that I told a few years ago to @TopCat. Do not please buy any kind of stocks of Sikder Group on the hope that this company will really build the towers.
- Some people want us to believe in some dazzling architectural views of the towers. But, this has little value when a building's stability is taken into consideration.
- The subsoil below must be suitable to withstand the very heavy Dead Load (D.L) imposed by the RC structure.
- It must also bear the heavy wind load and/or the lateral component of earthquake loads. Structural designers take into account these two lateral loads and use the larger one to conduct the stress analysis. Architects only compile a few dazzling drawings to attract possible customers.
- The other load is Live Load which by ACI (American Concrete Institute) code may be 400 kg/m2 of the floor.

My personal view is, this tall building cannot be built in any areas of BD because its soil is very soft to bear the imposed loads, not possible even with piled foundations unless these are supported by hard rock strata at, say, 50 m depth.

However, if a company like Kajima Corporation of Japan conducts soil investigations such as Standard Penetration tests (SPT) or does load tests on a few test piles, and certifies the soil is suitable, I will be here to spread the good news among our people in Japan. Kajima and all other Japanese big name companies are most reliable. They have more than 150 years of experience with soil investigation.

beautiful locations .

well done bangladesh . good progress .
Some of our people in London learn to speak only a few English words. Those are, Yes, No, Very Good and Thank You. Here I find you talk similar, Very Good, Very Very Good Bangladesh. Do not you have nothing substantive to say? Why do you waste time?

-

Some of our people in London learn to speak only a few English words. Those are, Yes, No, Very Good and Thank You. Here I find you talk similar, Very Good, Very Very Good Bangladesh. Do not you have nothing substantive to say? Why do you waste time?

I liked the locations , I like the progress of Bangladesh that is why appreciated it.
i don't have much knowledge of English , the day I am well versed in the language skill I will write full essay on your achievements .
joy bangla .

- I will tell you the same thing that I told a few years ago to @TopCat. Do not please buy any kind of stocks of Sikder Group on the hope that this company will really build the towers.
- Some people want us to believe in some dazzling architectural views of the towers. But, this has little value when a building's stability is taken into consideration.
- The subsoil below must be suitable to withstand the very heavy Dead Load (D.L) imposed by the RC structure.
- It must also bear the heavy wind load and/or the lateral component of earthquake loads. Structural designers take into account these two lateral loads and use the larger one to conduct the stress analysis. Architects only compile a few dazzling drawings to attract possible customers.
- The other load is Live Load which by ACI (American Concrete Institute) code may be 400 kg/m2 of the floor.

My personal view is, this tall building cannot be built in any areas of BD because its soil is very soft to bear the imposed loads, not possible even with piled foundations unless these are supported by hard rock strata at, say, 50 m depth.

However, if a company like Kajima Corporation of Japan conducts soil investigations such as Standard Penetration tests (SPT) or does load tests on a few test piles, and certifies the soil is suitable, I will be here to spread the good news among our people in Japan. Kajima and all other Japanese big name companies are most reliable. They have more than 150 years of experience with soil investigation.

The burj kalifia tower was built on sand, i understand the scientific prinicipal behind it and dont remember the name.

Its like getting two yellow pages book, telephone directory book. Binding each page to the second book and going each page of both books and binding each others pages together.

No old or ground breaking scientific principal can be used to build a sky scrapper in Bd?

The burj kalifia tower was built on sand, i understand the scientific prinicipal behind it and dont remember the name.

Its like getting two yellow pages book, telephone directory book. Binding each page to the second book and going each page of both books and binding each others pages together.

No old or ground breaking scientific principal can be used to build a sky scrapper in Bd?
I have discussed this matter long time ago with @Michael Corleone in another thread. So, I will not do it here again because it takes away my energy and people perceive me as talking negative of their Golden Bangladesh.

This is why I said if Kajima Corporation of Japan does the soil investigation tests called Standard Penetration Test (SPT) and decides the soil is good I have no reason not to trust its verdict. But, since people are unable to provide such reliable data but send architectural glazing pictures to tell it is possible I have reasons to believe that those people are supporting a fraud Sikder perhaps without knowing it.

Soil under Burj Khalifa is sandy soil, it is not sand. Piles in the sandy soil are supported by both Point-bearing and Friction of soil. Point bearing means the pile tip has the strength to bear a certain amount of load, like a column. And, Friction means, the soil around a pile resists the downward pressure/load. BD is full of clay and silty sand. Clayey soil is very precarious. It takes the pile down rather than putting upward resistance to support it.

Foundation of Burj Khalifa

"The superstructure of Burj Khalifa is supported over a large reinforced concrete raft. This raft is in turn supported by bored reinforced concrete piles. ... The piles were 1.5m in diameter and have a length of 43m. Each pile has a capacity of 3000 tons".

Note that each pile in Burj Khalifa supports 3,000 ton. In the normal case in BD soil, the pile bearing capacity is 30t to 50t+ for a 0.4m dia pile. You may bring it up to about 270 t if the pile dia is 1.2m instead of 0.4m.

However, in the case of presence of rock strata at, say, 50 to 100 m, the piles will work almost as long columns on top of which an RC raft can be built. Something like Burj Khalifa.

any updates on the data gained by kajima corporation? from what i hear... their estimate is as low as 71 to as high as 142 stories

any updates on the data gained by kajima corporation? from what i hear... their estimate is as low as 71 to as high as 142 stories

No info yet - will update once I hear progress. Right now everything is halted because of Covid. Including movement of people and funds.

Current status of Matarbari deep sea port and 1200 MW power project

Floating LNG Terminal in operation in the area

Motorcycle industry in Bangladesh, the brand names which manufacture locally. Exports are gaining ground overseas...

Motorcycle industry in Bangladesh, the brand names which manufacture locally. Exports are gaining ground overseas...

These motor bikes should aim to be as good quality as the best quality Chinese bike or maybe the modestly good priced and modestly quality bike. Also being slightly cheaper. By doing so maybe bd can export to china, Vietnam, thia, Indonesia, phillipines, malay and africa.

These motor bikes should aim to be as good quality as the best quality Chinese bike or maybe the modestly good priced and modestly quality bike. Also being slightly cheaper. By doing so maybe bd can export to china, Vietnam, thia, Indonesia, phillipines, malay and africa.

OK these are my thoughts.

Asian market (including China market) is swimming with thousands of types of bikes and bike companies. So it will be tough going in these markets, they are already protecting their own markets so there will be tariff and non-tariff barriers to market entry. Ditto with Indian Market. Malaysian Market - there may be a chance with lower end bike, but competition from Korean, Taiwanese and even Chinese lower end bikes will be fierce.

Middle East, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Africa, South America - those are the virgin markets to target, as exporters from our country in some other sectors have already found out. Especially the last two.

To compete against well-established Korean brands like Hyosung/Daelim and even China-made bikes, Bangladeshi products will need to be super economical as well - and be at least 20% cheaper than even China brands.

Last edited:
OK these are my thoughts.

Asian market (including China market) is swimming with thousands of types of bikes and bike companies. So it will be tough going in these markets, they are already protecting their own markets so there will be tariff and non-tariff barriers to market entry. Ditto with Indian Market. Malaysian Market - there may be a chance with lower end bike, but competition from Korean, Taiwanese and even Chinese lower end bikes will be fierce.

Middle East, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Africa, South America - those are the virgin markets to target, as exporters from our country in some other sectors have already found out. Especially the last two.

Doesn't china's 97% no tariff include motor bikes from Bangladesh?

Last edited:
99% sure it's not. Automobile is a heavily protected sector in most indutrialised nations.

Yup most of Asia (maybe except Japan, Korea and Taiwan) aren't past the development phase where light engineering is a big export sector.

For China, it constitutes not only large factories and companies making motorbikes, but their small mom and pop companies who make sub-assembly parts for those motorbikes, such as wheels, springs, headlight assemblies, speed indicators, carburetors, handles, kick starter assemblies etc. Same for bicycles, flashlights, Locks, hand-tools (all the parts you can buy in Bongshal/old Dhaka) as well as pots/pressure cookers.

In the seventies and eighties, Japan (and later Korea and Taiwan in the nineties) was in that light engineering revolution. Today China, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam (as well as Bangladesh) are in those fields. But China is gradually moving past that stage while the others like Thailand and Indonesia have not. The only reason China is still in that phase is because of the almost unstoppable supply of low cost labor compared to smaller countries.

Back
Top Bottom