What's new

Bangladesh Army

A army para-commando member :D
25659887_1561862317235529_2328828154355482598_n.jpg

Guys we have to look forward to the true future of army aviation, with feet still firmly planted on the ground today.

Here is the future, unarmed for now - but not for long.

1503603917644.png
1504100947585.png
1503603950695.png
1503603956276.png

They changed it.

I am no armor expert but the turret looks like a welded one to me. It'd be interesting to know (without divulging too much) if it has reactive armor on the sides of the turret (look like it does).

But BA must be congratulated on this effort. Brand new lighter turret with a new engine/transmission too? So essentially a brand new platform and manufacturing experience as well for rather modest expenditure from state coffers. What's not to like ? :enjoy:

Last edited:
I am no armor expert but the turret looks like a welded one to me. It'd be interesting to know (without divulging too much) if it has reactive armor on the sides of the turret (look like it does).

But BA must be congratulated on this effort. Brand new lighter turret with a new engine/transmission too? So essentially a brand new platform and manufacturing experience as well for rather modest expenditure from state coffers. What's not to like ? :enjoy:

I m not sure if it worth the money they spent on a 50 years old vehicle. They should had tested them against Kornett ATGM and see how it fares.
Any test result on the armour and protection system?

These will be stationed near India. Heard they also reserved some of their T-55/54 for us. ( Can any Indian verify this?). New tanks will be stationed on Myanmar side.

But BA must be congratulated on this effort. Brand new lighter turret with a new engine/transmission too?

Chinese 3rd generation ERA on front, turret and side skirts. Modular Comosite armour on turret front. Cage armour on back of turret to protect from RPG hits.

I m not sure if it worth the money they spent on a 50 years old vehicle. They should had tested them against Kornett ATGM and see how it fares.

It's a light tank, even heavier tanks are vulnerable to today's modern ATGM. Even older missile like TOW took out T-90 in Syria. M1 Abram, Leopard got beaten up too. And we have 174 Type 59s, and 58 Type 69/Type 69Gs in 2014 according to IISS. (even more according to SIPRI). You can't just dump them, can you? Those are still good deterrence. I hope they upgraded our Type-69 like this too if they want to keep it in service longer.

17425921_1442756119121294_4371520392949134019_n.jpg

Specification:
---------------------
- weight: 40 tons
- operational range: 450 km
- engine: 800HP
- torque: 1400rpm
- speed: 49km/h
- armour: RHA, ERA
- crew: 4

- main gun: 125 mm smoothbore (28 rounds)
- secondary gun: 12.7 heavy anti aircraft machine gun (600 rounds) & 7.62 coxial GPMG (6000 rounds)
Other features:
* 125mm round including APFSDS,HEAT-FS,HE-FS round:can penetrate 550m armour at 2km distance
* Can fire anti tank guided missile from main gun
* Advance data link and communication system
* Full computerised system
* Electronic Countermeasures (ECM)
* Explosive Reactor Armour (ERA)
* Active Protection System
* Smoke grenade
* RF Jammer
* Tharmal & Night vision
* Laser range finder
* Air condition system
* Nuclear-Radioactivity, Biological, Chemical protection suit or NBC suit.
* VRC-2000L Radio with the range of 30km

Any test result on the armour and protection system?

I am sure this was a stopgap solution because from what I've read in the Chinese Armor threads the VN17 IFV and more importantly the VT5 light tank wasn't ready. In about five to seven years time I expect the Durjoy MBTs to be retired or put in reserve storage as more modern light tanks and IFVs get added to BA arsenal, both of which are crucial for infantry support.

I wouldn't be surprised if the army decides to set up at least assembly lines and possibly also full manufacturing lines for welded turrets and structures for these two much more modern armor items which we can field in sufficient numbers considering their costs and parts commonalities.

I don't know if either of these platforms have amphibian capability though which is hugely important for fights in the rainy flooded season.

VN17 IFV

36452685782_e559836d6d_o.jpg
DHbg3ejV0AAJNTy.jpg

VT 5 Light Tank for export
36575161336_edcda3cb7b_o.jpg
36575158676_d90b8c8ff0_o.jpg

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom