What's new

'Bangabandhu' to hit orbit in 3 yrs

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
'Bangabandhu' to hit orbit in 3 yrs

'Bangabandhu' to hit orbit in 3 yrs | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 6:21 pm BdST

Dhaka, Mar 29 (bdnews24.com) – Post and Telecommunications minister Rajiuddin Ahmed Raju has announced that the country would launch its first-ever satellite named after 'Bangabandhu' in three years.

The minister made the announcement following signing of a deal with USA-based Space Partnership International (SPI), which would help launch the satellite.

"After the government assumed power, the first cabinet meeting approved launching of the country's first-ever satellite. The deal with SPI takes the dream of Digital Bangladesh a step further," said Raju.

SPI managing director Bruce Kraselsky and Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (BTRC) chairman Zia Ahmed signed the deal on behalf of their respective authorities at BTRC Bhaban on Thursday.

US ambassador Dan W Mozena was also present at the contract signing ceremony.

Currently, all television channels, institutions providing internet services, V-sat and radio channels are running their operations using foreign satellites.

According to BTRC, each television channel pays about US $0.0002 billion annually for using the satellites, and all institutions, including the 19 television channels, taken together end up paying US $0.004 billion every year.

BTRC said launching of a satellite would not only reduce the expenditure but also earn foreign currency for the country.

"Bangladesh may earn about US $ 50 million a year after the satellite is launched," said Kraselsky.

SPI will act as a consultant firm in launching the satellite. It will help Bangladesh in market evaluation, marketing of the satellite, building expertise to operate the satellite and management of the ground station. The SPI will charge Tk 0.87 billion for the job.

bdnews24.com/sha/eh/nir/1808h

Very good to hear follow up on the news, shows that bangladesh is taking serious steps in space exploration.

I just wish it wasnt named after Bangabandhu. It would have been better if it was named after a bengali scientist like Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose.

Very good to hear follow up on the news, shows that bangladesh is taking serious steps in space exploration.

Things are moving rapidly in Bangladesh. If this trend continue then I am afraid Bangladesh will be rename as Bongobondu desh or Mujib Desh.

I just wish it wasnt named after Bangabandhu. It would have been better if it was named after a bengali scientist like Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose.

How hard for you to become a Bangladeshi? He is not Bangladeshi, hence it's absurd and not acceptable. Please be a Bangladeshi otherwise you will be treated as foreigner. Thanks

No worries, BNP will rechristen it anyways. ;)

Best post from you so far.

:lol:why would idiots name things as such knowing the next term if another party comes the name will be changed? we spent a lot of money changing the name of zia to shahjalal....whats the point? people still call it zia, i call it and my kids in the future will call it. Not because i am a zia fanboy but because it was what i grew up calling.

Things are moving rapidly in Bangladesh. If this trend continue then I am afraid Bangladesh will be rename as Bongobondu desh or Mujib Desh.

How hard for you to become a Bangladeshi? He is not Bangladeshi, hence it's absurd and not acceptable. Please be a Bangladeshi otherwise you will be treated as foreigner. Thanks

Best post from you so far.

Haha if our country is named bangabandhu desh, what will we be called? Bangabondhuese?

Jagadish chandra bose was born in bikrampur(his ancestral place) present day bangladesh. And died in 1937, before the partition. Hence We can call him bangladeshi, to a certain extent.

What ever they name it man, first lets put it in space and then see. We need a few up there if you ask me. Remember the trouble in BoB we had with Myanmar? Bangladesh asked India for satellite images of Myanmar Army formation ( intelligence data), and they refused. We need one for ourselves.

Why launch the satellite atop an American rocket? India's Antrix can do it for less than half the cost! :rolleyes:

Why launch the satellite atop an American rocket? India's Antrix can do it for less than half the cost! :rolleyes:

we are going for quality here. Btcl has showed its feasibility in 5 years, which is amazing. So why go for an Indian good when we can go american?

The problem with the naming is BNP would like to either change the name or postpone the project . if the project complete in due time BNP would like to send another naming as Zia -1 . :hitwall: ;)

Good luck Bangladesh. (Y)

@Al-Zakir What is wrong with the name? To me it sounds like typical Bengali name?

we are going for quality here. Btcl has showed its feasibility in 5 years, which is amazing. So why go for an Indian good when we can go american?

perhaps u don't know mate but indian rockets have carried even NATO payloads!!!..........Chandraayan-1 had a NATO payload..............now if even NATO can trust us then why can't Bangladesh????...........and as OrionHunter had said it would be much cheaper!!

Back
Top Bottom