What's new

Balochistan will be divided soon and lack progress.

VelocuR

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Balochistan’s highways going nowhere

288786-pak_rupeeFIXED-1320646083-843-640x480.jpg

Withholding of funds leaves projects incomplete.

QUETTA: Despite tall claims made by the Pakistan Peoples Party-led government on development projects in Balochistan, the province still lacks even basic infrastructure, with dilapidated roads and highways indicative of underdevelopment.

Out of 17 projects by the National Highway Authority (NHA) in Balochistan, none have been completed. All the projects were supposed to be finished by 2009. During the 2010-11 financial year, the federal government released merely Rs4.56 billion from a total allocation of Rs11 billion, which has led to extensive delays.

Even the Balochistan chief minister has been unable to convince authorities to ensure swift release of funds, part of which have been allocated to complete the 247-kilometre-long Kalat-Quetta-Chaman Highway, which falls in his electoral constituency. A total of Rs1.2 billion, including Rs440 million in foreign funds, was earmarked but merely Rs309 million has been released.

Balochistan Information Minister Yunus Mullahzai says it would be a major achievement if the Kalat-Quetta-Chaman highway is completed by the end of December.

Funds were also not issued for other road projects; in one, Rs823 million was allocated but the NHA did not release a penny.

The motorway linking Lahore with Rawalpindi was built in eight months at the cost of R35 billion – in Balochistan it would take two decades to construct a 145-kilometer highway, Quetta-based journalist Mohammad Zafar said when asked why Punjab is often blamed in Balochistan for the province’s plight.

“Funds have been diverted to Punjab and Sindh on the directives of the president, prime minister and other influential people,” said President of the National Party (NP) Senator Dr Abdul Malik Baloch, who believes such moves are deepening the sense of deprivation in Balochistan.

Mullazai, the NHA’s focal person in Balochistan, also complained that Balochistan is being neglected. “All the 17 projects are incomplete due to unavailability of funds. It is obvious that the PM or people in key posts give priority to their constituency,” he said.

Malik says that Balochistan’s projects are deliberately being neglected or delayed. “All other provinces – Punjab, Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa – had been issued funds which were more than their allocations,” he claimed, while displaying documents provided by NHA and the government.

According to Malik, Sindh was issued Rs7.28 billion for highway projects while its total allocation was Rs7.09 billion, while Punjab was given 36 schemes and received more than its allocation as well. “This is clear evidence that the cut has only been made to Balochistan’s allocations,” Dr Malik says.

Recently, a Senate Standing Committee on Communications meeting was held in Quetta during which senators from Balochistan, including Humayun Khan Mandokhail and Ismail Buledi, also alleged that funds allocated for Balochistan have been diverted for construction of highways in Multan and Ratodero.

However, Federal Minister for Communications Arbab Alamgir denied that such diversions of funds had happened. Alamgir claimed that the government has allocated Rs32 billion during the current fiscal year, of which Rs9 billion will be spent in Balochistan. He added that this money would be sufficient to complete the ongoing projects in the province.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 7th, 2011.

Pathetic govt and it's incompetency/corruption strikes here once again. Anyways the title of the thread is strange. :disagree:

“Funds have been diverted to Punjab and Sindh on the directives of the president, prime minister and other influential people,” said President of the National Party (NP) Senator Dr Abdul Malik Baloch, who believes such moves are deepening the sense of deprivation in Balochistan.

this is the usual bla bla yadda they use to divert attention from their own incompetencies..a friend of mine and an influence figure of Baluchistan with two family members serving as ministers, owns a contracting business across Pakistan and Gulf. He has often told me that project in baluchistan return little profit as your have to feed a lot of kickbacks to local war lord and extortionist or risk losing your and your employers life. As a result, the contractors quit work in the midst which results in massive losses to the government.

They can go to the auditor general of Pakistan and get a report on fund diversion to satisfy their doubts!

Pathetic govt and it's incompetency/corruption strikes here once again. Anyways the title of the thread is strange. :disagree:

:laugh: It is perfect description on title woh it is completely lack progress, it explained on the article. Government withdrew funds all of them. We will hear more complained from Balochistan and deep angry.

Mullazai, the NHA’s focal person in Balochistan, also complained that Balochistan is being neglected. “All the 17 projects are incomplete due to unavailability of funds. It is obvious that the PM or people in key posts give priority to their constituency,”

Very dumb & corrupt govt. All projects started during last govt had been cancelled. I was wishing to see Gawadar a new city with Islamabad (infrastructure wise), Karachi (economic wise), Peshawar & Quetta (bravery wise), Lahore (ancient wise), Muzzaffarabad (greenery wise) & Gilgit (beauty wise).

title is misleading sir how on earth late projects break up a country ?

title is misleading sir how on earth late projects break up a country ?

One month ago (Oct 2011), Pakistan government offered to erase tensions on Balouchistan and now sudden withdraw funds approximately 90%.

Gilani renews talks offer to ‘angry Baloch’

QUETTA: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani renewed on Tuesday his offer of dialogue to ‘angry’ Baloch leaders and said he was even ready to go to their doorstep to listen to their grievances.

Talking to reporters after attending a passing-out parade at the EME Centre of Baloch youths inducted into the army after completion of training, Mr Gilani said: “Angry Baloch leaders are our brothers and we are ready to go to their doorstep to resolve issues through dialogue.”

He said he had asked Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani to hold talks with angry Baloch brethren, adding that the government would remove the sense of deprivation among the people of Balochistan and bring them to the national mainstream.

However, he said, some elements wanted to create unrest and fan hatred in Balochistan, but no-one would be allowed to subvert peace in the province. “I appeal to those creating disturbance to adopt the path of peace and pave the way for speedy development of Balochistan.”

He said the country was facing a difficult situation because some people had taken the path of terrorism and were tarnishing the image of Pakistan and Islam. “The agenda of these people is not the agenda of Pakistan.” The prime minister said those who did not accept the government’s peace offer must understand that they would delay the process of development and prosperity in Balochistan. “They can create hurdles, but cannot deprive the people of their rights and stop development.”

Mr Gilani said he was dissatisfied with the law and order situation in the province and had directed the provincial government to maintain peace in Balochistan. He also asked the provincial administration to submit a report regarding alleged involvement of foreign hands in the unrest in Balochistan.

Answering a question about recovery of bullet-riddled bodies of Baloch political activists, he said the provincial government had been asked to look into the matter. Another important issue is that of missing persons and the government is trying to solve this problem. A commission on missing persons headed by a senior judge of the Supreme Court is working on it.

About relations with Afghanistan, Mr Gilani said Pakistan had cordial ties with that country and was working to evolve a joint strategy to fight terrorism.

He said Pakistan had already offered help in investigation into the assassination of Prof Burhanuddin Rabbani which had affected the peace process in Afghanistan.

Gilani renews talks offer to

Reading the title, I assumed the thread must have been started by an Indian member......surprise....surprise..!!

RaptorRX707, in my point of view need to change title of thread because rest of material about bad governance but not on political changes in Balochistan. Lack of good governance hit not only Balochistan but whole Pakistan. There should be maintain equilibrium in funds allotments for not to neglect particular area. This is total injustice that we are ignoring from getting one of main energy resources. Pathetic government. Once again we have to thank our Army which took step for Balochistan so there is hope otherwise most corrupted government only blessing 10% to each chair morons.

Reading the title, I assumed the thread must have been started by an Indian member......surprise....surprise..!!

I know yaar. I am not happy because Pakistan government still continue to ignore the importance of Balochistan, they don't care at the developments, it hurt them. What is your thoughts of this surprise news?

Title can be fixed later.

:laugh: It is perfect description on title woh it is completely lack progress, it explained on the article. Government withdrew funds all of them. We will hear more complained from Balochistan and deep angry.

Oh bhai this is because of the corruption of the govt which is not only hurting Balochistan but the the whole country. Punjab also complains that it isn't getting the electricity of it' part. Same are also complains of other provinces. A better more competent govt can easily handle this situation. Nothing is going to be divided except PPP vote bank in Balochistan.

And please stop giving titles from your own. You really suck at that part. :hitwall:

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Seriously speaking reading the thread title some particular Indian names came in my mind. :rofl:

;)

I know yaar. I am not happy because Pakistan government still continue to ignore the importance of Balochistan, they don't care at the developments, it hurt them. What is your thoughts of this surprise news?

Title can be fixed later.

This government has proven to be the most incompetent of recent times, having said that, you can't expect the mess of last decades cleared overnight. The army is seriously taking initiatives by recruiting 5000 Baloch youths and opening the cadet college.
The clay footed politicians will try and score any points.

Oh bhai this is because of the corruption of the govt which is not only hurting Balochistan but the the whole country. Punjab also complains that it isn't getting the electricity of it' part. Same are also complains of other provinces. A better more competent govt can easily handle this situation. Nothing is going to be divided except PPP vote bank in Balochistan.

And please stop giving titles from your own. You really suck at that part. :hitwall:

Bro I know, it hurt the whole country, not just Balochistan issues. I hope Baloch people understood it. I apologize for the mislead title.

Good point.

This government has proven to be the most incompetent of recent times, having said that, you can't expect the mess of last decades cleared overnight. The army is seriously taking initiatives by recruiting 5000 Baloch youths and opening the cadet college.
The clay footed politicians will try and score any points.

Yes, our country has been corruption since birth, it continue to do. Give me a single example which past governments took care of Balouchistan progress ? Musharraf? Benazir Bhutto, Nawaz? nahein.

Yep, army recruit 5000 Baluch youths, good going. :tup:

pakistan should provide at least basic facilities and infrastructure to the Baluchistan.

Its pakistan who always talks about gold or copper wealth of Baluchistan or gwadar port but when it comes to development of native baluch people they are neglected for decades.

Recently prime minister of pakistan mr. gilani was in Baluchistan making some promises to the Baluch people let's see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom