What's new

Babar to quit PPP in protest over NRO

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Umar Cheema

ISLAMABAD: Former interior minister and close confidante of Benazir Bhutto, Maj. Gen. (retd) Nasirullah Babar is to quit the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) as a mark of protest against the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO). His announcement to this effect on Saturday would cause ripples in the still waters of the PPP.

Babar, a man of integrity, has left far behind many other party stalwarts who could not go beyond making impressive speeches. Even Farhatullah Babar, his close relative, is not ready to follow this course of action. Although, he was aware of Nasirullah Babar's decision, Farhat has not made up his mind yet. However, he admitted having some reservations, which he believes cannot be expressed publicly. "There are feelings expressed in public and there are feelings expressed in the party meetings," he told The News.

Nasirullah Babar has decided not to contest the forthcoming elections from the PPP platform. Instead of shifting loyalties to another party, he has decided to say goodbye to the politics of compromise. "I would not contest the next polls from the PPP platform," Babar told The News on telephone from Peshawar. He was among those party leaders whose names were approved for party tickets during the previous meetings held in London.

Babar was bitter about Musharraf and questioned his authority to revoke all the cases of the past without any justification. "Who has given him (Musharraf) the right to revoke these cases," Babar asked.

But, at the same time, he was quite optimistic that Musharraf-Bhutto efforts to get the cases revoked would turn out to be a futile exercise. He has high hopes from the judiciary and believes that it would undo the ordinance.

Babar, who was interior minister when the Karachi operation was carried out, was also critical of setting aside the cases against the MQM leaders, including the incumbent Governor Sindh, Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ebad. He said that Dr. Ebad was wanted in the abduction case of Major Kalim and some other people. But, he deplored that all cases against him were set aside when he was appointed governor though he was a declared proclaimed offender. So was the case of Altaf Hussain.

Babar believes that the MQM leadership continues to get all cases against them set aside through the good offices of their governor.

He also regretted that Imran Khan's decision to disclose in advance the solid evidence he (Babar) had provided him against Altaf Hussain proved counter-productive. "By this way, he (Imran) forewarned the MQM leadership and they (MQM) consequently got these cases set aside through Governor Sindh, thus, leaving little for the UK police to probe against Altaf Hussain."

Other PPP leaders such as Aitzaz Ahsan and Raza Rabbani are trying to adapt to the new situation. Aitzaz who is part and parcel of the lawyers' community sided with the party and did not go to the Parliament to vote for Justice (retd) Wajihuddin Ahmad whom he considers an upright man. Despite repeated attempts, he could not be contacted for comments.

Raza Rabbani is also trying to adjust to the fast-changing situation. There was a time when he was very critical of Musharraf and his political allies; but now he does so in a mild manner, apparently for the reason he does not want to be out of the party. Previously, he was totally against any contact with the military regime. Now, he told The News: "I think it is too late for reconciliation with this regime but if transition to democracy is possible through these means, we should do that."

He also sees no problem in the promulgation of the NRO.

Rabbani was annoyed when asked that he should show character by calling a spade a spade, and follow in the footsteps of Babar. "I take strong exception to the word 'character'. I do not want to make fun of the party before the press. Whatever I have to say, I say in party meetings," he said when told about Nasirullah Babar's decision.
Babar to quit PPP in protest over NRO

Back
Top Bottom