Bab-e-Pakistan...... Monument Lahore

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
  1. Bab-e-Pakistan...... Monument Lahore

BAB-E-PAKISTAN-PROJ.jpg

For millions of people who sacrificed everything for Pakistan and stayed here for months,

Lahore%20-%20Bab-e-Pakistan%20-%20Construction%20Pix%20-%20AUG%202009%20-%2002.jpg

Lahore%20-%20Bab-e-Pakistan%20-%20Construction%20Pix%20-%20AUG%202009%20-%2007.jpg

It is a shame that despite six, albeit tumultuous, decades of independence, we have not been able to give a truly decent monument to our ancestors who, in words of Quaid-e-Azam, himself, had “been displaced by the cataclysm that attended the birth of Pakistan. Most of them have lost all their worldly belongings as also their means of livelihood.”

The story of “Bab-e-Pakistan” is as complicated as the history our nation. The project was originally conceived by the late Lt. Gen. Ghulam Jillani, Governor of Punjab, in 1985 and was immediately approved by General Zia-ul-Haq, the then President of Pakistan. With the demise of General Zia’s regime, the project was frozen, until 1991 when Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif came to power. An estimated budget of Rs.100 million was allocated for the construction of a 400-acre park on land in the possession of Punjab Board of Revenue. In 1991, the late Ghulam Haidar Wyne, the Punjab Chief Minister, with the consent of the then Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, Admiral Iftikhar Ahmad Sahrohi and former Corps Commander Lahore, Gen. Muhammad Ashraf had laid “first” the foundation of Bab-e-Pakistan.

When Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif returned to power, he and his brother, Mian Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif, the then Punjab Chief Minister, again, tried to breathe life into the project with little effect, until Gen. Pervez Musharaf took over the country after a coup-d’état. And then, it was forgotten and the land was leased to the Army, the Pakistan Boy Scout Association, Punjab Education Department and Police. Some of the dedicated area of the project also became occupied by illegal slums due to apathy on part of the government bodies, further jeopardizing the construction of the monument.

In 2004, the Punjab Chief Minister, Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi took up the challenge of finally realizing the Lt. Gen. Ghulam Jillani’s dream by reactivating the Bab-e-Pakistan Project which will cover an area of 110 acres, and will include the Monument, Chehar Bagh, Linear Dek, Boy Scouts Association Headquarters, High Schools for girls and boys, at the cost of Rs.800 million. Under the “guidance” of Gen. Pervez Musharaf, who was designated as the patron-in-chief, the Bab-e-Pakistan Project was to be completed in two and a half years (i.e. 2007). Finally, on 14th August 2005, Gen. Pervez Musharaf laid the “second” foundation of Bab-e-Pakistan and construction started to stop once again, because of political turmoil in the country.

As things stand today, you still see the concrete hulk on your right, when driving towards Ferozepur Road along Walton Road. Four years ago, I was pleasantly surprised on my last visit to Bab-e-Pakistan site to see some activity going on with rows of bulldozers and heavy construction equipment lining the lot, ready for some action. Upon further inquiry, I was told that work on the monument had started again. My sources could not provide with me a final completion date for the project but they were hopeful. Sadly, the Secretary, Bab-e-Pakistan Project was unavailable for comment. Today, another government is in power, tomorrow, another one which will choose to ignore our heritage.

I hope one day, we finally succeed in honouring those who gave up everything they loved to make this great nation. And I hope we never forget that which brought us here.

• Bab-e-Pakistan...... Monument Lahore

BAB-E-PAKISTAN-PROJ.jpg

For millions of people who sacrificed everything for Pakistan and stayed here for months,
The design looks really ugly. We need to learn a lesson or two from India when it comes to architecture. We need to be inspired from the likes of Badhshahi Mosque, Minar e Pakistan or other monuments that really reflects our heritage.

It just feels like money making scandal to me as there is not a genuine need for this bab e Pakistan unless they wanted to add another attraction in the city, in that case it was supposed to be something big, unique or attractive

This is more needed in Islamabad or other provincial capitals. The provinces who were not directly affected by partition must see how brutally muslims were killed by hindu fascists through out history and not just 1946-1948.

They cud have announce world biggest tower or cud have built masjid so people can enjoy in park and pray to thanks Allah for everything we cud dream.
But here we go again ganjay bradan looking it as profit making structure.

We keep making useless monuments while our hospitals lack the most fundamental items and education system is falling apart...Minar-e-Pakistan is more than sufficient...why do we need this junk...so that a few can fill their coffers?
No one can match the mismanagement skills of the murderer of the model town massacre.

WTH is this monstrosity.:mad:
And why are we using our meager funds on this instead of basha dam which is our future:hitwall:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom