What's new

Australian cricketers were 'the biggest' match fixers, agent Majeed tells c

mr42O

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
article-2047465-0B37A92400000578-313_306x423.jpg

A cricket agent accused of taking bribes to fix matches claimed that Australian players and Pakistan stars were also involved in betting scams, a court heard on Monday.

Mazhar Majeed, 36, told an undercover journalist the Australians were 'the biggest' when it came to rigging games, Southwark Crown Court was told.

Claiming match-fixing had been going on 'for centuries', he named celebrated former Pakistan fast-bowlers Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis as alleged participants.
It's a fix: Mazhar Majeed claimed in court that Australian cricketers were the biggest match fixers

It's a fix: Mazhar Majeed claimed in court that Australian cricketers were the biggest match fixers

Majeed also boasted that he knew Hollywood star Brad Pitt and tennis ace Roger Federer 'very well' and could arrange for them to promote a proposed cricket tournament in the United Arab Emirates, the court heard.

The jury was played covert recordings of meetings between the London-based agent and former News of the World journalist Mazher Mahmood, who was posing as a rich Indian businessman seeking major international players for the tournament.
Accused: Former Pakistan fast bowlers Wasim Akram (left) and Waqar Younis (right) have been named in court by Mazhar Majeed

Accused: Former Pakistan fast bowlers Wasim Akram (left) and Waqar Younis (right) have been named in court by Mazhar Majeed

Majeed met Mr Mahmood at a west London restaurant on August 18 last year - the first day of Pakistan's Oval Test against England - and after the meal discussed match-fixing in the undercover reporter's car, the court was told.

Naming famous former Pakistan national cricketers, the agent said in the recording: 'It's been happening for centuries. It's been happening for years. Wasim, Waqar, Ijaz Ahmed, Moin Khan - they all did it.'

Majeed went on to allege that Australian players would fix "brackets", a set period of a match on which punters bet, for example, how many runs will be scored.

'The Australians, they are the biggest. They have 10 brackets a game,' he said in the tape played to the court.

Read more: Australian cricketers were 'the biggest' match fixers, Mazhar Majeed tells court | Mail Online

Aussies were ruling the cricket for past 15 years. They were winning almost every match and their players performance were unmatched. Majeed is simply telling the lie. Let him name the cricketers.

Australians were fixing what? The "win" for 15 years? I remember Australians had won some 16 (not sure) matches in a raw and then defeated by India! Looks like we are the purest...

And the plot thickens. Match-fixing can't really be one-sided. I'm sure numerous countries were/are involved.

Australians were fixing what? The "win" for 15 years? I remember Australians had won some 16 (not sure) matches in a raw and then defeated by India! Looks like we are the purest...

They could be spot fixing, and still win, not hard to do.

And the plot thickens. Match-fixing can't really be one-sided. I'm sure numerous countries were/are involved.

Match fixing and "match tampering" such as spot fixing has without been going on for years.
There has been accusations of match fixin in Pakistan and people like Salim Malik have been found guilty. I believe this agent is a low life and thief. I dont know whether the likes of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis but they were never found guilty of any offence. It is unfair for a crook like him to come forward and say this of people that have never been found guilty.
We forget the South African scandal with the involvement of Hanse Cronje? We forget Azharuddin and India? We forget Shane Warne and the Australian scandal?
There is plenty of other theories and one can speculate but the hard facts are Pakistan Australia India and South Africa have most certainly had some sort of match fixing that has taken place because people have been found guilty.
One final thing i will say i dont think any of the people i have mentioned acted alone like Shane Warne. Just my opinion.

Pakistani Test greats drawn into cricket spot-fixing trial

Two of the finest cricketers in the history of the sport were dragged into the spotfixing trial at Southwark crown court on Monday. The names of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, the former Pakistan fast bowlers, were raised in connection with what was described by the agent at the centre of the trial as the "centuries"-old practice of fixing events at sporting matches.
Even Ijaz Butt, president of the Pakistan Cricket Board and a former wicketkeeper who played in eight Test matches between 1959 and 1962, was alleged to have been involved. "It's been going on for centuries," said the agent, Mazhar Majeed, in a recording made by an undercover journalist. "Waqar and Wasim, Ijaz, Moin Khan, they all did it. They get paid peanuts, they have to do it."

Pakistani Test greats drawn into cricket spot-fixing trial | Sport | The Guardian

this is the highlight of the news....OP is unnecessarily trying to give it Australian angle when no player of australia has been named and they have a record of winning match in last two decades

I know the Aussies have had a hand in fixing

What i notice is one or two of our little Indians getting excited across the border. Let me perhaps remind and retingle their brains cells
Manoj Prabhaker. Mohd Azharuddin, Ajay Jadeja, Ajay Sharma and recently the WHOLE Indian cricket team have been accused with match fixing and associating themselves with that crook Pradeep Aggarwal. This seems to be brushed under the carpet.
One other thing our Indian Global Warriors should note is that it really is a shame with the amounts of $$ in Indian cricket their whole team still feel they have to throw national pride and patriotism to one side for the sake of a few extra dollars.Incredibly terrible thing to do... :azn:

INDIAN Bookie ‘Pradeep Agarwal’ Spotted with Indian Team During WC 2011

Pakistani Test greats drawn into cricket spot-fixing trial

Pakistani Test greats drawn into cricket spot-fixing trial | Sport | The Guardian

this is the highlight of the news....OP is unnecessarily trying to give it Australian angle when no player of australia has been named and they have a record of winning match in last two decades

you know you are a funny man\??? i mean start another thread, this thread topic is the aussies being named as spot fixers, give up yoour continuous trolling please

you know you are a funny man\??? i mean start another thread, this thread topic is the aussies being named as spot fixers, give up yoour continuous trolling please

Brother dont you get it? They are obsessed with Pakistan. He is the kind of guy that will stick his head in the toilet after you have been just to see what you have eaten! They are obsessed with us. Why do you think they are on here!!? :azn:

On topic. Do you think Mark Waugh has been involved?

Back
Top Bottom