What's new

Australia says French company wins huge submarine contract

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Cg8JtnOUoAAflpO.jpg

Australia has announced that a French company DCNS had beat bidders from Japan and Germany to build its next generation of submarines

DCNS, German’s ThysennKrupp Marine Systems and Japan’s Mitsubishi were in the running to build 12 conventional submarines that the Australian navy expects will cost at least 56 billion Australian dollars ($43 billion).

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said Tuesday that the DCNS bid met Australia’s unique requirements.

The Japanese bid appeared to be the early favorite in the bidding process in what would have been Japan’s first fully fledged military technology transfer since World War II.

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/wo...marine-contract-2770546/#sthash.xPotZKH5.dpuf

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @randomradio @MilSpec

France gets the Australian contract

Now how does The P 75 I competition look like
From logistics and training, we should pick Scorpene, it makes the most sense. But then there is also a lot of strategic and diplomatic capital in this, where Russia might come in. I am eagerly waiting to see what the down select comes to.

From logistics and training, we should pick Scorpene, it makes the most sense. But then there is also a lot of strategic and diplomatic capital in this, where Russia might come in. I am eagerly waiting to see what the down select comes to.

A few things will Happen here

1 Barracuda will become more expensive for us ; out of our reach

2 Japan will become more friendly and offer Soryu class

3 Russian Kilo and German HDW are already with The Indian Navy
So Amur or Type 216 may have the Best chance to win

Choix historique par l’Australie de la France et DCNS pour la construction de 12 sous-marins. Je félicite tous ceux qui y ont contribué.
- François Hollande on DCNS win

@Penguin
That was quick.

Does this means deal sealed?

ToT,spare parts,construction site included,maintenance for several years included,training,probably weapons.And it's 38.5 billion so 3.15/submarine.
Still high Imagine with these price it would be hard to many nations to purchase these kind of subs.

But I remember Brazil got 3-4 scorpene with ToT for 9-10 billion something unbelievable how expensive these vehicles.

Australia snubs Japan, awarding giant $50 billion submarine contract to French company

French defence firm DCNS has been announced as the winner of the contract to replace Australia’s submarine fleet.

Malcolm Turnbull confirmed the awarding of the contract in Adelaide today, saying the recommendation panel had been “unequivocal” in its choice of the French bid over the submissions from the Japanese government and German firm TKMS.

The submarines will be built in Adelaide, with the prime minister saying this morning that the submarine project will create 2800 jobs and adds to previous commitments under the Abbott administration to build dozens of surface ships in projects worth $40 billion.

The decision to award the building contract to DCNS will be a shock to some in the Australian, Japanese and US security establishments following public pressure for Australia to choose the Japanese bid in the interests of regional security.

At the announcement in Adelaide, Turnbull said that the decision on the contract was a “sovereign choice” and added: “Both Prime Minister [Shinzo] Abe and I… and our respective nations are thoroughly committed to the special strategic partnership with Japan.”

The DCNS vehicle is the Shortfin Barracuda, a version of France’s Barracuda-class subs. The Shortfin runs on conventional rather than nuclear power.
The Barracuda design proposes a hydro-jet propulsion. Source: DCNS

The Shortfin Barracuda is 97m long and displaces 4,500 tons when surfaced. DCNS claims it will “remain state-of-the-art until the 2060s”.

Dr Andrew Shearer, who was Tony Abbott’s security advisor, argued in a research paper for Washington DC think tank the Centre for Strategic and International Studies that Australia should favour the Japanese bid.

Shearer told ABC radio earlier this month that “the United States, Japan and Australia are three of the most capable countries in the region in terms of naval power and maritime power and when they work more closely together there’s an effect at the strategic level, for example at the strategic level, cooperation with Japan and helping Japan to develop its defence industry will help to imbed and lock Japan much more closely into the regional security architecture”.

He said closer co-operation with Japan would “make for a more secure and less anxious Japan and that’s very important. And at the operational level, more submarines that can operate together will be more capable of doing the sort of job that needs to be done and then at the industrial level closer cooperation among the three countries means that we’re not duplicating precious resources when all of our defence budgets are under more strain.”

Abbott himself has publicly backed the Japanese bid, saying in a speech in Tokyo two months ago that for Japan, “this submarine deal is strategic; for the other bidders, it’s commercial”.

A strategic naval alignment between the Japanese government and Australia would send an important signal in terms of regional defence posture, as China continues to exert its naval influence through expansion of facilities in the South China Sea.

In March, the Japan Times reported that, under the framework of Australia’s Defence White Paper, Japan appeared to have an “insurmountable lead” over the French and German bids...................See more
DCNS-slider1-780x325.jpg

The Shortfin Barracuda. Photo: DCNS.

Barracuda-propulsion.jpg

The Barracuda design proposes a hydro-jet propulsion. Source: DCNS

ToT,spare parts,construction site included,maintenance for several years included,training,probably weapons.And it's 38.5 billion so 3.15/submarine.
(i) C2 and weaonos mostly american systems (that was scheduled on all 3 proposition systems)
(ii) Subs will be entirely built in Australia
(iii) 50 years training and sustainment
(iv) ToT ...
In the end DCNS will get "only" about 8 billions

Choix historique par l’Australie de la France et DCNS pour la construction de 12 sous-marins. Je félicite tous ceux qui y ont contribué.
- François Hollande on DCNS win

@Penguin
That was quick.

Does this means deal sealed?
I suppose there need to be some form of parliamentary approval, given that it is a very large financial committment?

Well, I had already seen news that the Japanese offer was not accepted, leaving only France and Germany and between shortfin Barracuda Block 1A and Type 216 the former is probably more mature and/or has less risk of the base nuclear boat not being developed and built in number. The latter would be unique to RAN and of derivative Type 218SG for Singapore counts only 2 boats.

(i) C2 and weaonos mostly american systems (that was scheduled on all 3 proposition systems)
(iv) ToT ...
But can spread Barracuda development cost to some extent to include the shortfin variant, which may lower the acquisition cost of the SSN variant of French navy.

Last edited:
The P-75(I) isn't a priority for the IN, more Scorpenes are going to be ordered shortly, there is no rush for the P-75(I), they are more focused on their home grown SSN class.
Are you sure?
How do you see IN without submarines today, I know IN will have more than 9 submarines but in same period how many submarines will be decommissioned, asking?
IN can easily get these if want because
DCNS can easily offer these to India.
If negotiated well deal can be signed early & if pvt sector involved it can be easier & earlier.
Budget is ₹53000 crore or $8.1 billion or 7 billion euros today & I can expect devaluation of Euro more than Rupee as it is trend in last years so this can increase in future, also if IN wants a good submarine IN can increase budget which is 1.17 billion euros or 1.33 billion dollar which much higher than all of modern conventional submarines.
Today even SSN costs less than 2 billion. As Wikipedia cost of Barracuda class is €1,300m (FY2013) per unit, so obviously conventional will cost much less.
Australians are known to par much more than actual price for everything because they have money.
We can use this technology in our SSN without a big problem you know
SSN to SSK to SSN can be easier.
It is sure Soryu won't come & none of other submarines can have BrahMos except Type 216 or this easily & I didn't hear about type 216 offer too but I think type 216 too is good.
Going for any submarine in the category of Scorpene is not good if required in that category, make some changes in scorpene design or in the category of type 216.
(iv) ToT ...
Only about 8 billion to a company, these are just chillar, isn't it?
It is equal to GDP of Madagascar or Republic of Congo or Tajikistan or Niger.

Back
Top Bottom