What's new

Attractions in New York, Suggestions needed

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello

So my wife was arguing with me today that we didn’t go anywhere in 2022 so far, so I ended up booking a ticket to New York between 14-19th of September as a surprise for her.

Now the tickets are sorted, I realised the prices of hotels have gone up very quickly and I can barely find anything around Manhattan area within my budget.

Any recommendations where I can live in New York if I can’t find the hotel in Manhattan?

Also any must visit places in NYC? And what about the transportation in NYC? When I check the route from Google maps from anywhere to Times Square it looks like it either suggests to take a taxi or use buses. I don’t see many suggestions for subway/underground? How is the transportation network and is it easy to travel around using public transport?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated as I literally have no idea about NYC besides having heard the names of Times Square, Manhattan, Brooklyn bridge, Central Park and Statue of Liberty.

edit

Last edited:
Hello

So my wife was arguing with me today that we didn’t go anywhere in 2022 so far, so I ended up booking a ticket to New York between 14-19th of September as a surprise for her.

Now the tickets are sorted, I realised the prices of hotels have gone up very quickly and I can barely find anything around Manhattan area within my budget.

Any recommendations where I can live in New York if I can’t find the hotel in Manhattan?

Also any must visit places in NYC? And what about the transportation in NYC? When I check the route from Google maps from anywhere to Times Square it looks like it either suggests to take a taxi or use buses. I don’t see many suggestions for subway/underground? How is the transportation network and is it easy to travel around using public transport?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated as I literally have no idea about NYC besides having heard the names of Times Square, Manhattan, Brooklyn bridge, Central Park and Statue of Liberty.

Also, how far is Fort Lee from the main attractions as I see few hotels available in that area but I am guessing it’s probably not even in NY and will lack public transportation?

I'd go to Orlando, Florida instead and Uber around. I was just there and it was full of Brits. My wife and I don't live that far from NYC but we have never considered NYC as a top place to go and visit...in fact I have never been there as a tourist only for very short business trips (literally airport to office back to airport with all my sight seeing from the taxi window)

Why look at this boring drab stuff like this

When you can be in a more happier place like this

or this

or this

Last edited:
Try Air Bnb, you might find a better deal, but as other member suggested, why NY ? its a parking nightmare. Visit Florida or maybe Tennessee .

Hello

Also, how far is Fort Lee from the main attractions as I see few hotels available in that area but I am guessing it’s probably not even in NY and will lack public transportation?
I usually stay in lower east side Manhattan but that was pre covid , I will go again this year but maybe I can find somewhere for a few months in New York as I’d like to experience living in the big apple as I’m a city guy & personally the only 24 hour city that compares to London .
I like fast lifestyle .

Anyone any tips how I can stay in NYC as a British citizen for a few months maybe even a year ? I also have a business in mind to start up for the US but would like to check out the competition.

I'd go to Orlando, Florida instead and Uber around. I was just there and it was full of Brits. My wife and I don't live that far from NYC but we have never considered NYC as a top place to go and visit...in fact I have never been there as a tourist only for very short business trips (literally airport to office back to airport with all my sight seeing from the taxi window)

Why look at this boring drab stuff like this

When you can be in a more happier place like this

or this

or this
These are good suggestions and I will visit Florida next time but I have already made a booking for both fights and hotels so cannot alter the plan.

If anybody knows how is the New York City subway system. I am very skeptical about it due to safety concerns and planning to prefer more Taxis instead but there are times when Subway might be a better option so wondering if my contactless cards will work just like the local MTA (or whatever the name was) and will have the cap of weekly or daily allowance just like the local cards to use at NYC subways

Thank you

Hello

Fort Lee is 30 mins by bus to Port Authority.
NYC has two worlds - the touristy world and the one off the beaten path. You have to decide which ones you are open to.

If you do the Touristy stuff - then Broadway show (combined with Times Square), a few restaurants, Brooklyn (and its bridge), Met, Moma, Soho, Central Park, 5th Ave, OneWorld Trade (Battery Park, Wall Street), a few lounges and Cigar rooms (if you are into that) and you will more or less cover it. You can also do a Columbia University trip if you are into that sort of stuff.
Then there is NYC that is off the beaten path - more for locals - that is where you need to do things like Off-Broadway Show, go to Harlem (in the day), hit the little Pakistan, perhaps make a trip our to Jersey City, Hoboken, then find the dives that are off the main street - both in terms of eateries, gallaries - etc. Perhaps someone else can expand.

New York is certainly a fun city and 4-5 days will hardly be enough to do everything. Enjoy!!!
I will however caution you that NYC of the old days is no longer the NYC of today. Street crime, grime, mentally unstable people, are becoming more rampant. Be smart, don't look like a tourist. Walk fast and go to places well lit and busy. You'll be safe.

Hello

In addition to the usual tourist stuff - If you are limited to time - you can hit Grand Central and Whispering wall at the same time - from there you can also heard down to the City Hall Station which had (2019) a pretty decent diner above ground across the street- Do visit the High Line, Explorers Club Headquarters, Ghost Busters Fire House, 3 Beekman House, the Synagogue Museum and Reliquary Museum. Don't forget the Ice Cream Factory in China Town and Primrose Cafe (thank me later).

If you have 2 day or more as like the outdoors grab a coach to Letchworth State Park or why not make it a day trip to Niagara Falls?

Hell if you are feeling really adventurous - greyhounds will take you to Maine and back.

Word of warning: avoid tourist traps in Time Square - also please be aware there are almost NO public toilets in New York so please maintain a strong bladder or drink less fluids 🙂.

Re cheap accommodation - you are going with your significant other so the hostel I stayed in will be a no go - try Air BnB or Trivgo they have amazing last minute deals.

Have fun.

Hello

It's only a concrete jungle .. only a shopping paradise.... Check California, and Wyoming for driving ...

Fort Lee is 30 mins by bus to Port Authority.
NYC has two worlds - the touristy world and the one off the beaten path. You have to decide which ones you are open to.

If you do the Touristy stuff - then Broadway show (combined with Times Square), a few restaurants, Brooklyn (and its bridge), Met, Moma, Soho, Central Park, 5th Ave, OneWorld Trade (Battery Park, Wall Street), a few lounges and Cigar rooms (if you are into that) and you will more or less cover it. You can also do a Columbia University trip if you are into that sort of stuff.
Then there is NYC that is off the beaten path - more for locals - that is where you need to do things like Off-Broadway Show, go to Harlem (in the day), hit the little Pakistan, perhaps make a trip our to Jersey City, Hoboken, then find the dives that are off the main street - both in terms of eateries, gallaries - etc. Perhaps someone else can expand.

New York is certainly a fun city and 4-5 days will hardly be enough to do everything. Enjoy!!!
I will however caution you that NYC of the old days is no longer the NYC of today. Street crime, grime, mentally unstable people, are becoming more rampant. Be smart, don't look like a tourist. Walk fast and go to places well lit and busy. You'll be safe.
I have booked a hotel in Long Island City so don’t need to go to Fort Lee anymore.

Thank you for your advice I will Google it and decide few places from the list

Any recommendation for Halal food in NYC?

In addition to the usual tourist stuff - If you are limited to time - you can hit Grand Central and Whispering wall at the same time - from there you can also heard down to the City Hall Station which had (2019) a pretty decent diner above ground across the street- Do visit the High Line, Explorers Club Headquarters, Ghost Busters Fire House, 3 Beekman House, the Synagogue Museum and Reliquary Museum. Don't forget the Ice Cream Factory in China Town and Primrose Cafe (thank me later).

If you have 2 day or more as like the outdoors grab a coach to Letchworth State Park or why not make it a day trip to Niagara Falls?

Hell if you are feeling really adventurous - greyhounds will take you to Maine and back.

Word of warning: avoid tourist traps in Time Square - also please be aware there are almost NO public toilets in New York so please maintain a strong bladder or drink less fluids 🙂.

Re cheap accommodation - you are going with your significant other so the hostel I stayed in will be a no go - try Air BnB or Trivgo they have amazing last minute deals.

Have fun.
Most of the places you mentioned, I didn’t even know they exists so thank you for the recommendation, I will try to visit some of them.

I tried to add Niagara Falls in the last and it seems like difficult call from NYC as it’s about 6-7 hour drive and I have no intentions for drive for 13 hour on a holiday of 5 days.

Is there any other method of transportation to Niagara Falls as train don’t seem to go there?

It's only a concrete jungle .. only a shopping paradise.... Check California, and Wyoming for driving ...
I would love to go to California, Florida, Arizona and Honolulu but may be for next time…

As I have already paid for flights and hotels and only there for 5 days :(

I have booked a hotel in Long Island City so don’t need to go to Fort Lee anymore.

Thank you for your advice I will Google it and decide few places from the list

Any recommendation for Halal food in NYC?

Most of the places you mentioned, I didn’t even know they exists so thank you for the recommendation, I will try to visit some of them.

I tried to add Niagara Falls in the last and it seems like difficult call from NYC as it’s about 6-7 hour drive and I have no intentions for drive for 13 hour on a holiday of 5 days.

Is there any other method of transportation to Niagara Falls as train don’t seem to go there?

I would love to go to California, Florida, Arizona and Honolulu but may be for next time…

As I have already paid for flights and hotels and only there for 5 days :(
Most bus operators have a service from NYC to Niagara Falls

Hope you have fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom