What's new

Artist receives death threats over goddess paintings in Mumbai

Icewolf

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Artist receives threats, security over goddess paintings in Mumbai

Mumbai: An Indian artist said on Wednesday she feared for her safety after Hindu extremists forced her to remove two paintings from a Mumbai exhibition because they showed scantily clad goddesses.

Eleena Banik's paintings, displayed at the city's well-established Jehangir Art Gallery, included the Hindu goddess Kali without the garland of skulls that normally covers her breasts.

Another depicted a goddess-like woman with strawberries placed on her body like fig leaves, which Banik said she created in protest at the fatal gang rape of a medical student in New Delhi in December that shocked India.

"I wanted to express that the goddess is there in all women, so why do you rape her?" Banik, 41, who has exibited her works throughout India as well as in London, told AFP.

She said a couple of angry Hindus had approached her and objected to the lack of clothing in the two paintings and said a woman "can't be compared with a goddess".

After receiving complaints, Mumbai police and the gallery insisted Banik remove the paintings from public view, said the artist, who is a Hindu and insists Kali appears naked in mythology.

"It's insulting for any artist," she said of being obliged to remove her works. "I express my freedom of expression through my paintings."

Since her exhibition closed Monday, the artist from eastern India said she had received threats over the phone, including one death threat, and had been given police protection.

"I don't know if it's safe for me to go out," she said.

Among the complainants was Varsha Thakar of the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti group (meaning "forum for Hindu public awakening").

"We are not against artistic freedom but would like to know what connection can be drawn between the gang-rape victim and a goddess," Thakar told the Times of India newspaper.

The Jehangir gallery director, K.G. Menon, confirmed that Banik had been asked to remove works but would not go into detail.

"That matter is over and I don't want to talk about it," she said.

The incident echoes the controversy over paintings of nude deities by India's most famous modern artist, the late M.F. Husain, who fled the country in 2006 after death threats from Hindu extremists.

Artist receives threats, security over goddess paintings in Mumbai | NDTV.com

Times of India has removed this article from their website :whistle:

The more Indians deny the worse it gets.

They are headed towards the extreme right wing.

It seems that Indians again are more worried about Pakistani problems than Indian ones

Artist receives threats, security over goddess paintings in Mumbai

Mumbai: An Indian artist said on Wednesday she feared for her safety after Hindu extremists forced her to remove two paintings from a Mumbai exhibition because they showed scantily clad goddesses.

Eleena Banik's paintings, displayed at the city's well-established Jehangir Art Gallery, included the Hindu goddess Kali without the garland of skulls that normally covers her breasts.

Another depicted a goddess-like woman with strawberries placed on her body like fig leaves, which Banik said she created in protest at the fatal gang rape of a medical student in New Delhi in December that shocked India.

"I wanted to express that the goddess is there in all women, so why do you rape her?" Banik, 41, who has exibited her works throughout India as well as in London, told AFP.

She said a couple of angry Hindus had approached her and objected to the lack of clothing in the two paintings and said a woman "can't be compared with a goddess".

After receiving complaints, Mumbai police and the gallery insisted Banik remove the paintings from public view, said the artist, who is a Hindu and insists Kali appears naked in mythology.

"It's insulting for any artist," she said of being obliged to remove her works. "I express my freedom of expression through my paintings."

Since her exhibition closed Monday, the artist from eastern India said she had received threats over the phone, including one death threat, and had been given police protection.

"I don't know if it's safe for me to go out," she said.

Among the complainants was Varsha Thakar of the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti group (meaning "forum for Hindu public awakening").

"We are not against artistic freedom but would like to know what connection can be drawn between the gang-rape victim and a goddess," Thakar told the Times of India newspaper.

The Jehangir gallery director, K.G. Menon, confirmed that Banik had been asked to remove works but would not go into detail.

"That matter is over and I don't want to talk about it," she said.

The incident echoes the controversy over paintings of nude deities by India's most famous modern artist, the late M.F. Husain, who fled the country in 2006 after death threats from Hindu extremists.

Artist receives threats, security over goddess paintings in Mumbai | NDTV.com

Times of India has removed this article from their website :whistle:

The more Indians deny the worse it gets.

They are headed towards the extreme right wing.

Actually the trend is in the reverse. Politically, the right wing is gaining popularity but that is largely because of the Congress's inefficiency in having delivered good governance. Even if you were to stroll over to the Indian General elections thread you will find that out of the sample set of 80 or so posters who favor the right wing parties around 60-70 do so simply because of the congress's failure and thus for the need for an effective alternative rather than due to any extremist or religious bent. While a smaller minority does indeed continue to promote extremist notions and ideologies. This is a trend that having been seen in microcosmic terms is wholly recreated in the macrocosm of the Indian populace and polity.

Unlike never before in India's history, a more powerful, socially mobile, ambulatory and vocal middle class is asserting itself, it is a relatively new phenomenon. One that emerged just a decade back and was the main reason for the Congress's victory in 04 and subsequently in 08, where even as their performance fell the rejection of even a hint of fundamentalism, perceived or real, ensured them victory over the BJP led NDA.

Mind you, in all such incidences minor vandalism may have occurred in isolated cases but no fatalities have occurred. Unfortunately, smaller and less affluent art galleries and showrooms have been the target in all three or four such cases while the larger showrooms easily handle such matters on their own in the favor of the artist.

Also note, that in all such cases we have never seen a violent out pour like in the case of the whole Middle East and Pakistan erupting over the Cartoons of Muhammad or that film which was found to be inflammatory, so much so that in the case of the latter I believe Pakistan even declared a public holiday to keep people off the streets and banned youtube.

As the aforementioned middle class rises and gets even more influential, mind you it now numbers at around 180-200 million, these extremist norms and notions are falling off other than in isolated cases and cases of cheap political stunts like the one that was played with at the cost of Shri M.F. Husain. In fact my college ran a very public and very known mammoth program on Mr. Husain in order to at least vindicate him in the minds of the narrow slice of the academia present there without any opposition or protest against showcasing the same paintings of his which had been made target of vitriol before.

The most telling example is that 20 years ago I wouldn't have been able to openly accost quite a few devoutly religious, Hindus and Muslims, fellows and start propagating my atheist views and then run amok later that evening engaging in my promiscuous proclivities. A small and micro-cosmic example of how the most heretical of notions are now finding a comfortable space in India as money and prosperity flows in.

Politically though, at least for the coming term from 2014, largely due to the Congress's ineptness the right wing will enjoy more popularity and most probably even victory.

Back
Top Bottom