Army Not to Induct BrahMos Without Further Trials

batmannow

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Army Not to Induct BrahMos Without Further Trials
Indian Government News | Feb 10, 2009

After its failure last month, Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor has said his force would prefer further trials of BrahMos missile to be sure of the weapon's success, rather than hurrying up induction. :eek::lol:

"No," he said when asked if the army would induct BrahMos' new vertical-launch version once it was ready.

"We (the Army) are consumers here. We will like to go through further trials to prove its success. We will congratulate them whenever the missiles passes the test. It is wrong to waste public money," General Kapoor said in an interview. :agree::D

The 290-km range supersonic cruise missile, developed jointly by India and Russia under a joint venture, failed to hit its intended target during tests in the Pokhran ranges in Rajasthan desert last month.

Asked if the DRDO had complaints over the Army "leaking" information on the failed BrahMos test, Kapoor clarified that the army had reservations over DRDO's initial claim that the missile trial was a success.

He said he was present during the missile testing in Rajasthan recently and watched the test-firing from about a kilometre away. The target was 53 kilometres away from the missile launch site, he said.

"Immediately after 83 seconds of the missile's flight was over, it was communicated on the radio that it was a 'hit'. But I refused to accept the congratulations from one of the senior Russian officials there till I had personally seen the target having been hit by the missile," Kapoor said.

But after getting to the target spot it was clear that the missile had not hit the target and hence Kapoor called up his officers in Delhi to inform that the missile test had failed.
:tsk::rofl:

Some of the journalists present to witness the missile test went by the radio communication that it was a hit and hence the conflicting reports in the next day's newspapers, Kapoor added.

"Since it was widely reported that the Army chief was witnessing the missile test, what would I have said about the trials when I return? So I called up my officers and asked them to clarify to the media that the missile had failed to hit the target," he said.

The army already has a regiment armed with the BrahMos missile, which is an inclined-launch version different from the one that failed the recent test.

Hey does this mean that Russian Technology isn't that good or perhaps Russians are still reluctant to give PROPER technology of their own homeland quality to Indians

Hey does this mean that Russian Technology isn't that good or perhaps Russians are still reluctant to give PROPER technology of their own homeland quality to Indians

for some extant you are right may be china dont want russia to transfer misssile tech to india becoz they have the threat from it too and china is also a good friend of russia better than india may be im wrong

Not sure if this was clear...BrahMos is already Inducted in IA and IN...this was new ver with verticle launch capability.....

Not sure if this was clear...BrahMos is already Inducted in IA and IN...this was new ver with verticle launch capability.....

Oh don't bother, this has been repeated many times before abt this new version, but it only works on ppl who can actually comprehend :)

Perhaps this is the only time Brahmos have failed I had come with really fantastic test results of these missile I don't know what problem they are now facing with this supersonic cruise missile
c567a56bba8647c5426c6c169c15c605.jpg

Brahmos didn't fail, it was the seeker in Brahmos block II that failed the initial test, and that too by a very little margin in the precision of strike.

Since then, the subsequent tests have been successful and Brahmos Block II has been inducted by the army.

New Delhi (PTI): The three trials of BrahMos cruise missile were aimed at testing the effectiveness of the new special sensor integrated in the missile to hit the desired target in an urban environment accurately, a top army officer said on Monday.

Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Noble Thamburaj, said Army had enhanced its aspirations and wanted the BrahMos to achieve high standards of accuracy.

"Accuracy was the mantra. We had wanted a special sensor to be integrated in the missile so that it can hit the desired target accurately from among similar kind of targets in an urban environment," he told reporters on the sidelines of a defence seminar here.

He said the last three trials have been to test the effectiveness of the new sensor.

"On behalf of the Army, I would like to congratulate the scientists for conducting an extremely successful third test of BrahMos," he said.

The Hindu News Update Service

Perhaps this is the only time Brahmos have failed I had come with really fantastic test results of these missile I don't know what problem they are now facing with this supersonic cruise missile
c567a56bba8647c5426c6c169c15c605.jpg

actually the reconfiguration of the missile is being done to increase its kill probability as also ensure higher "smart guidance" .... the glitch was technical .... as software is being developed which may also have an offshoot for the Sagarika SLBM project which is still in developmental stages and needs urgent revamping as ATV is undergoing sea trials now and the system has to be mated to the same ....... there are no offical corroboration or links for the above info as of yet and may be considered as suspect till as such time I find any such information to prove or disprove the above claim .....

Back
Top Bottom