What's new

Are we indians celebrating hima das medals too much?

Brother, athletics is much more than just sprint. I am sure you know. Sprint events are usually 100m, 200m and 400m. Both times I clearly stated athletes and you read sprinter. Second time I specifically stated other events.

These are the Athletes who are currently doing better than Hima Das, in the events they take part in, yet we don't hear much about them on social media.
Brother, the athletes you have mentioned are all stars in their respective fields and if each one of them were to be better recognised than Hima Das than would make it even better.

Each of those sprint events have an entirely different training regimen and require unique skillsets though there can be some degree of overlapping. That's why i specifically mentioned in my previous post that:
which other young sprinter is currently doing better than Hima Das in her niche events
She is the best in the country in her competing category right now and there's no denying it IMO.

These athletes need recognition too that was my point.
Without any doubt!

yup i too feel it sometimes,,i mean the media overemphasis on NE athletes.
Thr r obviously many other athletes worth discussing about,who probably r equally deserving or more,,,so why hima?
Maybe becoz,,,it sells :D
News media as well as social media buys it,,,ppl want to see positive news,,especially from poor ,restive n different NE 'seven sister' states,,,provides the all iz well feel to desis.
u dont see assam(n bihar)floods making major airtime or trending anywhere near numerous othr nonsense hashtags.

u dont see assam(n bihar)floods making major airtime or trending anywhere near numerous othr nonsense hashtags
This I agree wholeheartedly.

Each of those sprint events have an entirely different training regimen and require unique skillsets though there can be some degree of overlapping. That's why i specifically mentioned in my previous post that:
The debate on which event requires what is endless. Javelin and Hurdle athletes are prone to injury more often. Can't really compare apples and oranges.
She is the best in the country in her competing category right now and there's no denying it IMO.
No doubts. And she is yet to peak so definitely room for improvement. Btw Dutee Chand can beat Hima Das in 200m but will be better if she keeps her focus on 100m sprint.

Never thought i would write this on PDF, but posters like the OP is why North Eastern people of India find a disconnect with the rest of the country. 5 gold medals in world events in a month, smashing national records, and winning medals in Asian Games(if that's not an world event i don't know what else is) all before she is 20 years of age.

People like these are the same ones who criticized Dutee Chand for her sexual orientation.

You want us to stop playing sports and winning medals for India to go back to our old ways. Really deplorable thread, and here i was thinking of posting a thread yesterday about her glorious achievements.

@Head hunter @halupridol @hembo @swnjo Just have a look at this pathetic thread guys, i am lost for words.

You don't know the reason or mentality . Possibly this guys are commiees and there are upset with every achievement of the nation and try their best 2 downplay it .

Brother, i am not going to discuss her sporting achievements with you as those are self explanatory should you choose to analyse them objectively instead of relying on a self-defeating news article.

Celebrating the accomplishments of noted sportspersons have a far reaching effect in our country. It is used by the sports authorities to draw people's interest to the game, increase viewership and inspire the youngsters to it. Cricket has been doing it regularly to captivate you cricket-crazy fans, don't you see how our under-19 players like Shaw and Gill were touted as future Indian openers even as they were finding their feet.

How do you think boxing became so popular in NE all of a sudden, back in our days hardly anyone played the sport. That changed once we had role models like Mary Kom, Devendro Laishram and Shiva Thapa, someone the young kids could look up to.

Notwithstanding her achievements till now or in future years, Hima Das and Dutee Chand would most certainly do a great job of inspiring scores of young girls and boys to take up sports as a career option in Assam and the rest of India. Believe it or not, sports has played a big role in mainstreaming of the NE.

Importance of the event it is evident from the fact that India ahead never achieved any gold in any of these events. We had PT Usha , Milkha Singh etc. in the past but none of them what the gold in these events. though they won the gold in Asian and Commonwealth games. So, definitely this game are not as low profile event as op claims. 5 international (world level) Gold in 5 straight event is not a joke.

I have always admired the persons who achieve distinction due to their personal efforts & ability. IMO all males /females earning a name for themselves in any field are worth their weight in gold regardless of their religious beliefs or ethnicity. I am not alone in this thinking; it has been the norm since ancient times. Greeks who invented the Olympic Games used to treat the winners like Gods.

Dhing Express is an extremely talented sprinter and Indians are quite right in decelerating her athletic prowess. I wish her all the best in her athletics career.

Back
Top Bottom