What's new

Are Tamil Muslims considered part of mainstream Tamil community?

Trev

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I don't know much about the details of the Tamil community but I've been told by Hindu Tamil Sri Lankan friends that they don't consider Tamil speaking Muslims as part of the Tamil community. Apparently the only similarity is that they speak the same language and that most are descended from Arab traders, moors and Burghers. Not only that but the LTTE where known too have committed atrocities towards Muslims including Mosque burnings and massacres. Is this true for Indian Tamils as well? Would appreciate answers from Tamils and Sri Lankans. :)

I don't know much about the details of the Tamil community but I've been told by Hindu Tamil Sri Lankan friends that they don't consider Tamil speaking Muslims as part of the Tamil community. Apparently the only similarity is that they speak the same language and that most are descended from Arab traders, moors and Burghers. Not only that but the LTTE where known too have committed atrocities towards Muslims including Mosque burnings and massacres. Is this true for Indian Tamils as well? Would appreciate answers from Tamils and Sri Lankans. :)

Hmmm.... I never heard of atrocities toward Tamil Muslims in Tamil Nadu, neither have I heard about overt discrimination.

Can anyone else shed light on tis story?

@Rajaraja Chola

@op you are trying to say while LTTE was fighting for their supposed freedom they were busy cleansing their own people at the same time lol?

Hmmm.... I never heard of atrocities toward Tamil Muslims in Tamil Nadu, neither have I heard about overt discrimination.

Can anyone else shed light on tis story?

@Rajaraja Chola

Yes true. Tamil Nadu is one of the few states, where communal clashes have rarely taken place. Here there is no discrimination between Muslims and others. The reason being, Tamil Muslims , majority of them, speak Tamil, and are not overtly religious.
However nowadays new organisations are coming into force demanding strict religious rules like Thoweed Jamaath, and many others. But till JJ is CM, she will never tolerate anti-state ideas, Muslims and Hindus alike.
They are moderate, friendly, and I have a lotta Muslim friends :)

In SL, Muslims are Arab traders, who settled in the North and Eastern part of SL. In the course of time, they adapted Tamil, as their language, and they speak Tamil now, even they are not Tamils by race. LTTE tried to eliminate them cos they didnt support their cause.
However there are Tamils in Lanka, who had converted to Islam, though very less. So discrimination may be true in SL, but not in TN.

It's quite more complicated than that mate..

Sri Lanka has three distict Muslim communities

Moors - Descendents of Moorish traders from the middle East married local women and settled mainly in the South western coast and central districts in as early as 8th century, They're trilingual and and fluent in Sinhala, Tamil and English.. Most are well to do land owners and trades people.. Some still hold high decorations and knighthoods bestowed upon them by Sinhala kings

Eastern Muslims - These are people bought over by the Dutch in the 15th century from TN, Kerala (Malabar) and Andra (Corromendal coast) to work in the vast tobacco plantains as slave labor, They are mainly Tamil speakers, Darker in complexion and reside in the eastern province, North western and Colombo.. They are subsistence farmers and fishermen.. These were the people that were ethnically cleansed by the LTTE from the north

Malay - People of the Malay peninsular and Java south east Asia, Came over as mercenaries and soldiers during the Dutch period.. Mainly live in Colombo and in Hambantota in the deep south.. Very cosmopolitan group of people with their own unique customs and dress..Speak Sinhala and Malay (Bhasa Malayu)

NOTE : Burghers and Dutch Burghers are a unique ethnic group of Eurasians.. They have no lineages or direct ethnic links with the Muslim's in the country

Last edited:
@op you are trying to say while LTTE was fighting for their supposed freedom they were busy cleansing their own people at the same time lol?
Yes, Tamil Muslims didn't support the LTTE cause. Although this in no way justifies a ethnic cleansing.

Yes, Tamil Muslims didn't support the LTTE cause. Although this in no way justifies a ethnic cleansing.

Not Just Eastern Muslims(So called Tamil Muslims) did'nt support LTTE but Indian Tamils or better known as Plantation Tamils that constitute 4% of the population on the island never supported the terror either.. This conflict is not as black and white one or that it's was Sinhalese and Tamils killing off each other.. It had a lot on complexities and intricacies.. Some thing that most out siders dont seem to get owing to the massive propaganda unleashed by Tamil Nadu and LTTE rump in the west

Why don't you ask Pakistanis about Kashmiri "freedom fighters".

Nothing good is going to come out of terrorist sympathizers or delusional people .

And it is not limited to Pakistan . You can find LTTE sympathizers even in India .

Absolutely wrong first of all Tamil is secular language thus it comprising all religion(including Hindu , Jains, Buddists ,muslim and Christian) literature works which were written long ago. So religious based discrimination is not(predominantly) in our place.
Why did you brought LTTE here??? usually they won't vandalize religious establishments; but if they thinks somebody is threat for their freedom struggle then they will kill even they won't spare same blood(tamils).

Muslims in Tamil Nadu joined in the main stream Tamil Community long ago. Tamil Nadu was predominantly ruled by Dravidian Parties, their core begins from Atheism.. In Tamil Nadu, Karunanithi, Periyar slammed/thrashed Gods in many of their speeches because Tamils in India never gave importance for religion.

Atheism is not new for us, it exists in TN for a long time, even my grandfather is an Atheist from the very beginning, so my father and now myself....The guys who are considered to be strong supporters of LTTE&Prabhakaran in TN are seeman(born in a christian family) and Ameer(born in a muslim family).

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Cases to be filed against Seeman, Ameer

Last edited:
^^^^
Yeah.. Right the LTTE was such a innocent bunch of kittens that didnt harm a fly.. Blood thirsty Madrasi LTTE logic!!

1998 Temple of the Tooth attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

998 Temple of the Tooth attack is an attack on the Temple of the Tooth Relic, located in Kandy, Sri Lanka. The shrine, which is considered to be important to the Buddhists in Sri Lanka, houses the relic of the tooth of the Buddha, and is also a UNESCO designated World Heritage Site.[1][2] In 1998, it was attacked by Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), a separatist militant organization which fought to create an independent Tamil state in Northern and Eastern parts of the country, from 1983 to 2009

Sri_Dalada_Maligawa_Attack_1.jpg

http://www.****************/maligawa32.jpg

http://www.****************/maligawa3.jpg

Arantalawa massacre of Buddhist novice monks

Aranthalawa Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aranthalawa Massacre was the massacre of 33 Buddhist monks, most of them young novice monks, and four civilians by cadres of the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam organization (the LTTE, commonly known as the Tamil Tigers) on June 2, 1987 close to the village of Aranthalawa, in the Amparadistrict of Eastern Sri Lanka. The massacre is considered one of the most notorious and devastating atrocities committed by the LTTE during the history of the Sri Lankan Civil War, and continues to be commemorated 20 years on.

20070601aran2.jpg

20070601aran1.jpg

Kattankudy mosque massacre

Kattankudy mosque massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kattankudi mosque massacre was the killing of over 147[1] Muslim men and boys in a mosque in Kattankudi by LTTE cadres on August 3, 1990.[1][2][3][4][5] It took place when around 30 Tamil rebels raided four mosques in the town of Kattankudi, where over 300 people were prostrating in Isha prayers.

LTTEKattankudiMuslimMosqueMassare3.jpg

ltte20kattankudi20muslim20mosque20massare2012.jpg

Can go on.. but might make the LTTE fan boys above to set themselves on fire or something

Muslims in Tamil Nadu joined in the main stream Tamil Community long ago. Tamil Nadu was predominantly ruled by Dravidian Parties, their core begins from Atheism.. In Tamil Nadu, Karunanithi, Periyar slammed/thrashed Gods in many of their speeches because Tamils in India never gave importance for religion.

Atheism is not new for us, it exists in TN for a long time, even my grandfather is an Atheist from the very beginning, so my father and now myself....The guys who are considered to be strong supporters of LTTE&Prabhakaran in TN are seeman(born in a christian family) and Ameer(born in a muslim family).

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Cases to be filed against Seeman, Ameer
Stop bragging about insulting religious deities and I know for a fact the no DMK member would insult Murugan. ;)

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom