What's new

Are Pakistanis far sighted?

Just imagine if we were Dari speaking, we would have been much closer to Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan, and would not have anything to do with Hindustan.

The decline of Farsi was a masterstroke of the British to undermine the Muslims of the subcontinent, it cut us off from our natural allies and cultural reference point. We lost most of our connection and commonality which would have helped us foster closer bonds and networks with our cultural and religious peers on our western borders.

However, we did have an opportunity to rectify this gross imbalance right after partition, perhaps it could have delayed the loss of our eastern wing, but most of our ruling elite soon after the partition was all little brown sahibs who didn't want to upend the status quo their British master left us and English remained our official language and we went about promoting urdu (and before anyone accuses me of racism, I am an urdu speaker myself) which we failed at miserably, now it's hard to differentiate urdu from english with an insane level of corruption of english words in urdu.

Instead we should have made either Farsi or Arabi as our official language and it would have gone a long way in establishing more long lasting cultural, religious and trade relations with our western neighbors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom