What's new

AQ Khan hopes new govt will free him

mujahideen

Reaction score
AQ Khan hopes new govt will free him

SOHAIL ABDUL NASIR

ISLAMABAD - The father of Pakistan’s nuclear programme, Dr A Q Khan Tuesday said that he had been kept under illegal detention and hoped that the new Government would soon lift restrictions on his movement.
“My health is deteriorating and the claims of the Government about my physical well- being do not carry weight”, he said in an exclusive interview with Nawa-i-Waqt. He said that the cardinal cause of his bad health was his solitary confinement.
He refuted the impression that he had been kept under detention due to his security concerns saying, “It is nothing but only a lame excuse by the Government”. During the interview that was conducted through special means he ran out of breath and was finding it difficult to speak fluently.
Dr A Q Khan while speaking in a bitter tone, apparently on the attitude of the government, said that the irony of the fate was that he was being kept under solitary confinement.
Today (April 1) was Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan’s 72nd birthday. This correspondent also congratulated him on his birthday that he accepted pleasantly but his tone was not matching with his past determined, confident and vigorous expression.
He said that the stories that were being published in the newspapers regarding his good health were false. Rebutting the government’s given logic behind his detention, he said, “It is simply irrational. I was roaming around the world freely at times when in 1979 numerous fake cases had been registered against me in Holland and I faced no security threat.”
When asked about the true status of his health he replied, “My lower limbs are losing vitality and I am suffering from extreme lethargy”, adding that his blood pressure was going unmanageable day by day. He noted that there was no complication or disorder regarding his urinary system. Dr Abdul Qadir Khan paid special thanks and tributes to Chief Editor Nawa-i-Waqt for his very kind consideration and his efforts to depict the truth through his papers.
Our Staff Reporter from Lahore adds: Lawyers in the city Tuesday celebrated 72nd birth anniversary of Pakistan’s nuclear scientist Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan who has been under house arrest since February 2004 and demanded his immediate release.
Dr Khan, who underwent operation in 2006, is again stated to be ill and had been shifted from his residence in Rawalpindi to Karachi last month for treatment.
The Save Judiciary Committee in the Lahore High Court compound has been demanding the release of Dr Khan over more than one year. The committee is recording the period of Dr Khan’s incarceration to alter its protest strategy accordingly. Last year, the committee had held a series of referendum to compare the popularity level of Dr Khan with President Musharraf. The referendum, which gave a high margin of popularity to Dr A Q Khan against General Pervez, was held continuously for about two months in the LHCBA premises in addition to its occasional stage at other places in the city. The committee had also announced Dr Khan its presidential candidate in the last election but it could not go beyond a limit after its demand for releasing him proved unfruitful.
The lawyers celebrated the birthday of Dr Khan at the camp where the advocates praised services of the country’s nuclear scientist and reiterated the demand for his immediate release. Chairman of committee, Abdul Rashid Qureshi said that due to efforts of Dr A Q Khan the defense of the country had become impregnable today. He compared incarceration of Dr Khan with that of posting of Indian nuclear scientist, Dr Abu Kalam as president of the state and lamented the heart tattering treatment the rulers gave to Dr Khan.
The lawyers at the camp cut cake for the health and long life of Dr Khan and demanded through slogans his early release.
Another friend of Dr Khan, Barrister Iqbal Jafree on March 9 last, had also sent a letter to the ministry of human rights to seek release of the scientist or at least permit him to meet with his friends and relations.
Jafree an advocate-turn, artist of international repute, claims his 40-year-old friendship with Dr Khan for whom he had also filed a habeas corpus petition which was, however, dismissed on the ground of locus standi.
Through the letter, Jafree focused on the health of Dr Khan and urged the authorities to set him free for he ‘has done no crime or caused any harm to anyone’. He says even if Khan did anything wrong, it stands pardoned by the president so there was no justification for keeping him under house arrest. He says if fear of Dr Khan’s being kidnapped by any state is hampering his release, then he may be allowed to see his friends and family members.

The Nation

All right guys. I know a lot of peopleon this forum are Pro-Musharraf and believe me I am one of them, but the detention of Dr.Khan was indeed a bad decision on part of our government. In my opinion Dr.Qadeer is serving someone elses punishment and every one knew what was going on. I request President Musharraf to release him.

Hi,

Dr Qadeer is not serving anyone else's punishment but rather he is paying for his own deeds. It is better that his deeds are buried deep in concrete and he made to live rest of his days in his residence. I am pretty sure that he would sell his soul and spill out his guts to someone---pakistan cannot set him free.

I too believe that he should be freed, and let to live his remaining life in his own way.

Any foreign contacts can be eliminated easily.

Dr Qadeer is not serving anyone else's punishment but rather he is paying for his own deeds. It is better that his deeds are buried deep in concrete and he made to live rest of his days in his residence. I am pretty sure that he would sell his soul and spill out his guts to someone---pakistan cannot set him free.

With all due respect I pretty much disagree with your entire statement. I meanwe have only heard one side of the story, we have heard the story given by the Government of Pakistan we have heard nothing from Dr.Qadeer. I think it is impossible that he could get a C-130 aircraft and use that as his means of tranferring nuclear material. I mean we only have a couple of C-130's and wherever they are it is very important the Army knows what it is being used for. First of all Dr.Qadeer is such an important assest to Pakistan, that whenever and wherever he traveled to he had top notch security, the Military knew what he was doing when. And he needed to security just in case someone kidnapped him, they could bribe us to get him released. When sanctions were placed on Pakistan in the 1990s we needed money and fast. We sold weapons to get quick money. Dr.Qadeer didn't get all that money and if he did he would be one of the richest people in the world. I think everyone knew what was going on from the Army to the politicians.
Any way whats done is done. The situation is over. Dr.Qadeer is a national hero and he will always remain a hero. He should be released now because he is no longer a threat to anyone and plus considering his age he should be let go. I mean if Benazir and Nawaz and other big fishes can be pardomed then why cant he. He is no doubt the most popular figure in Pakistan. I can say it with full confidence that if we were to have a poll in Pakistan as who is the most liked or popular Pakistan the two names at the top would be of Edhi Sahib and Dr.Abdul Qadeer Khan.
FREE DR.KHAN

Hi,

AQK has always been a wild-card. he will not serve in pakistans interest if freed but only his own-very high ego and estimate of himself.

AQK has always been a wild-card. he will not serve in pakistans interest if freed but only his own-very high ego and estimate of himself.

Interesting to hear. I am sure you know this through various other info, which i have not been aware of.

Dr.Khan is a hero once in his interview he said that the day he saw the embarrassing events of 16th December 1971 he decided that he would make Pakistan undefeatable if I was on his place I would have done the same any Pakistani would have done the same.

What he did was for Pakistan but we must see that there was enormous pressure on Musharraf to hand over him to USA it was really difficult for Mr. President to save him I think that was the way in which he saved Dr.Khan.

Long Live Pakistan.

Long Live Dr, A.Q Khan.

free our hero even world crying .how can we do this with our superman .who makes pakistan secure for ever.father of our nukes .whole nation loves him more then any leader . we can pay 100 mushraf for dr. khan

free dr.abdul qadeer khan now

AQ Khan did not made bomb single handedly . The whole team is Hero

so what man we have to free him not he get craedit alone but he was head of this nukes program .and a hero of nation.a person who serve they nation long time when his life's time for sit and say some good words and rest in home we kept him house made jail is this ok ?:disagree::disagree::disagree:

You are right but at the same time he deserves most of the credit. For example the Quaid-I-Azam did not single handedly get us independence he had his whole team. But in the end credit is given to the leader, and in the case of our nuclear program Dr.Qadeer is the leader and will always be given credit for our nuclear program. But at the same time I agree with you that it was a team effort and all should get credit.

I find it difficult to call someone who has created a weapon of mass destruction capable of killing thousands a hero. I view him more as a patriot.

I always liked Einsteins view on the atom bomb where he said if he had known what was going to happen he would have become a plumber instead.

Back
Top Bottom