What's new

Anyone from Cairo / Egypt here? I have a question

Apollon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Greece
So here is my question, in december my girlfriend and i will visit for one week Cairo. We want visit the pyramides at Giza, Saqqara, Meidum and Abusir. One day we visit also the Museum in Cairo and if its opened then, the GEM. We have a tour guide organized and i want to know, is the MArriot Mena House at Giza a good hotel? I got many good ratings and appears to be right next to the pyramides but i guess its better to hear what people from Cairo say.

Since we have a personal guide he will drive us to evry place from there. But how far is it from airport to the hotel? And what else should we care for?

So here is my question, in december my girlfriend and i will visit for one week Cairo. We want visit the pyramides at Giza, Saqqara, Meidum and Abusir. One day we visit also the Museum in Cairo and if its opened then, the GEM. We have a tour guide organized and i want to know, is the MArriot Mena House at Giza a good hotel? I got many good ratings and appears to be right next to the pyramides but i guess its better to hear what people from Cairo say.

Yes, absolutely. Mena Marriot is a 5 star hotel and I believe the it was designed so that every room has one balcony facing the pyramids in either of the two directions the hotel faces. The only thing is it's the only view for you and it's constant. For example, if you stay at the Nile Ritz Carlton (which used to be the Nile Hilton) gives you a terrific view of the Nile corniche as well as the River itself and the bustling life of the city which is all lit up at night and very busy during the day. It's also approximately 30 seconds walking distance to the museum. One side faces the Nile and the other side faces the famous Tahrir Square, home of the 2011 Revolution. It also faces the Museum which is just off to the left of the square looking at it from the hotel. So you're basically in the center of Cairo with Giza & the pyramids less than an hour away, maybe not even more than 45 minutes depending on time of day and traffic. Airport is about one hour away, depending on time of day/night and traffic which can be brutal sometimes.

So if you want quiet, very peaceful and constant view of the pyramids, then Mena Marriott is best for you. Also they light up the pyramids at nighttime and I believe they have their light and music shows every other night or something like that. That's always a very cool thing to see. Plus the hotel itself has a lot of things you can do on grounds.

If you want to be more in the center of Cairo with access to the city and all other points including the pyramids, then the Nile Ritz is probably better to stay at. The Ritz is actually currently listed as a 4.5 star hotel and its rates are almost identical to Mena Marriott. It's gotten mixed reviews recently, though, mostly because it hosts a lot of weddings and so it's quite a busy hotel which then imposes on the other guests to a certain extent. But it's location is about the best for Cairo that you can get. It's been there for a very long time. You also have the nightlife if that's something that interests you. It would be more accessible with many more options than Giza. Although it's not to say the latter doesn't offer you that activity's access, either. It's just not as abundant because of the location. But Mena Marriott is sensational and very quiet and relaxing.

Mena Marriot:
1634412918299.png

Nile Ritz (Hilton)
1634412979141.png

View facing the Nile by day.
1634413826509.png

A back view from one of the rooms and there's the museum on the left, the pinkish building with the dome.
1634413951790.png

The view of Tahrir Square and the center roundabout on the far right, museum on the left and all of downtown Cairo straight ahead.
1634414166504.png

Since we have a personal guide he will drive us to evry place from there. But how far is it from airport to the hotel? And what else should we care for?

Ritz is a bit closer to Cairo International Airport than Mena Marriott. Ritz is about 35-45 minutes away (traffic dependent). Mena Marriott is about 1 hour away.

One week is a very short time to see the many great things Egypt has to offer. But since you'll be at Giza from the sound of it, then I would suggest sticking to the pyramids mostly, of course, and take a few days to visit Cairo. You can spend a couple of days just seeing all the pyramids and the inside of Khufu, the Sphinx, hiking the area around it either on camel rides of horseback, both can be a lot of fun even by foot. Beware of the animal operators. Most of them are pretty honest but some will try to rip you off lol. If your guide is with you most of the time, then he'll warn you of those little inconveniences. But if he isn't, make sure you get info from him about those things and who to trust etc.

1634415706757.png

Like I mentioned, night shows are pretty neat. They light them up and do historical narratives etc. Maybe there will be a concert when you're there, it's possible. Traditional Egyptian music or a foreign band lined up. Although in December I'm not sure, you'll have to look it up.

1634415783782.png

1634415905033.png

1634415936908.png

Then I would get a faluka ride on the Nile. Ask your guide which and where is the best place to get one. Nighttime rides can be a lot of fun and very neat. Many other types of boat rides on the Nile that offer other amenities such as food and drink and better comfort than falukas.

1634416138631.png

Try to visit Khan El Khalili in Cairo. Very neat village/inner city/bazaar where you'll find a lot of souvenirs and things of the sort. It's very quaint and typical of Arab bazaar and commerce style of the old days.

1634415310103.png

1634415470067.png

1634415513799.png

1634415540975.png

A lot more pics here.

If you think you would be interested in visiting the Mohammad Ali Mosque, that would be a pretty cool thing to do.

1634416198747.png

1634416231373.png

1634416376521.png

Like I mentioned earlier, a week is probably enough to do the things I mentioned above, maybe a couple of more things near Cairo. But there are many other incredible places that you do need more time to visit and explore.

Points West of Cairo
- Alexandria
- El Alamein
- Marsa Matruh
- Western Desert

Points East of Cairo
- Port Said - Northern Entry to the Suez Canal
- Hurghada - Red Sea beach resort on west bank of the Red Sea
- Sinai and many spots within such as the below mentioned:
- Saint Catherine's (look it up on Wiki and the great Biblical history to it)
- The famous beach & diving resort of Sharm El Sheikh
- The same at Ras Mohammad and Dahab

Points south of Cairo - Most of Greek history in Egypt is here in Upper Egypt. 🇬🇷 🇪🇬
- Luxor Greek history named it Thebes which would be great for you, of course.
Also has the Temple of Karnak and the Necropolis which includes the wondrous Valley of the Kings (and Queens).
- Aswan Greek history named it Eileithyia, a little further south of Luxor but with arguably some of the greatest historical
elements of Egypt from ancient - Abu Simbel which was moved in its entirety in the 50s to make room for Lake Nasser
and the Aswan Dam.
- Philae temple pavilion and many many other incredible historical areas that have a lot of Greek influence.

And much, much more. :-) Hope this was helpful. Καλή τύχη
PS. Check the Covid guidelines from your airline and at the information desk at the airport. Egypt has handled the pandemic pretty well, all in all and the cases have dropped tremendously but just like anywhere else in the world, be extra careful even if you're vaccinated.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. Mena Marriot is a 5 star hotel and I believe the it was designed so that every room has one balcony facing the pyramids in either of the two directions the hotel faces. The only thing is it's the only view for you and it's constant. For example, if you stay at the Nile Ritz Carlton (which used to be the Nile Hilton) gives you a terrific view of the Nile corniche as well as the River itself and the bustling life of the city which is all lit up at night and very busy during the day. It's also approximately 30 seconds walking distance to the museum. One side faces the Nile and the other side faces the famous Tahrir Square, home of the 2011 Revolution. It also faces the Museum which is just off to the left of the square looking at it from the hotel. So you're basically in the center of Cairo with Giza & the pyramids less than an hour away, maybe not even more than 45 minutes depending on time of day and traffic. Airport is about one hour away, depending on time of day/night and traffic which can be brutal sometimes.

So if you want quiet, very peaceful and constant view of the pyramids, then Mena Marriott is best for you. Also they light up the pyramids at nighttime and I believe they have their light and music shows every other night or something like that. That's always a very cool thing to see. Plus the hotel itself has a lot of things you can do on grounds.

If you want to be more in the center of Cairo with access to the city and all other points including the pyramids, then the Nile Ritz is probably better to stay at. The Ritz is actually currently listed as a 4.5 star hotel and its rates are almost identical to Mena Marriott. It's gotten mixed reviews recently, though, mostly because it hosts a lot of weddings and so it's quite a busy hotel which then imposes on the other guests to a certain extent. But it's location is about the best for Cairo that you can get. It's been there for a very long time. You also have the nightlife if that's something that interests you. It would be more accessible with many more options than Giza. Although it's not to say the latter doesn't offer you that activity's access, either. It's just not as abundant because of the location. But Mena Marriott is sensational and very quiet and relaxing.

Mena Marriot:
View attachment 785613

Nile Ritz (Hilton)
View attachment 785614

View facing the Nile by day.
View attachment 785618
A back view from one of the rooms and there's the museum on the left, the pinkish building with the dome.
View attachment 785620
The view of Tahrir Square and the center roundabout on the far right, museum on the left and all of downtown Cairo straight ahead.
View attachment 785622

Ritz is a bit closer to Cairo International Airport than Mena Marriott. Ritz is about 35-45 minutes away (traffic dependent). Mena Marriott is about 1 hour away.

One week is a very short time to see the many great things Egypt has to offer. But since you'll be at Giza from the sound of it, then I would suggest sticking to the pyramids mostly, of course, and take a few days to visit Cairo. You can spend a couple of days just seeing all the pyramids and the inside of Khufu, the Sphinx, hiking the area around it either on camel rides of horseback, both can be a lot of fun even by foot. Beware of the animal operators. Most of them are pretty honest but some will try to rip you off lol. If your guide is with you most of the time, then he'll warn you of those little inconveniences. But if he isn't, make sure you get info from him about those things and who to trust etc.

View attachment 785630

Like I mentioned, night shows are pretty neat. They light them up and do historical narratives etc. Maybe there will be a concert when you're there, it's possible. Traditional Egyptian music or a foreign band lined up. Although in December I'm not sure, you'll have to look it up.

View attachment 785631

View attachment 785632

View attachment 785633

Then I would get a faluka ride on the Nile. Ask your guide which and where is the best place to get one. Nighttime rides can be a lot of fun and very neat. Many other types of boat rides on the Nile that offer other amenities such as food and drink and better comfort than falukas.

View attachment 785635

Try to visit Khan El Khalili in Cairo. Very neat village/inner city/bazaar where you'll find a lot of souvenirs and things of the sort. It's very quaint and typical of Arab bazaar and commerce style of the old days.

View attachment 785625

View attachment 785627
View attachment 785628
View attachment 785629
A lot more pics here.

If you think you would be interested in visiting the Mohammad Ali Mosque, that would be a pretty cool thing to do.

View attachment 785636
View attachment 785637

View attachment 785638

Like I mentioned earlier, a week is probably enough to do the things I mentioned above, maybe a couple of more things near Cairo. But there are many other incredible places that you do need more time to visit and explore.

Points West of Cairo
- Alexandria
- El Alamein
- Marsa Matruh
- Western Desert

Points East of Cairo
- Port Said - Northern Entry to the Suez Canal
- Hurghada - Red Sea beach resort on west bank of the Red Sea
- Sinai and many spots within such as the below mentioned:
- Saint Catherine's (look it up on Wiki and the great Biblical history to it)
- The famous beach & diving resort of Sharm El Sheikh
- The same at Ras Mohammad and Dahab

And much, much more. :-) Hope this was helpful. Καλή τύχη
PS. Check the Covid guidelines from your airline and at the information desk at the airport. Egypt has handled the pandemic pretty well, all in all and the cases have dropped tremendously but just like anywhere else in the world, be extra careful even if you're vaccinated.

Thank you for your answer. Well the Marriot is already booked so thats fix ha ha.

We have a program running. 12th December we land in egypg. Next day we do the Pyramides. We go into Cheops pyramide and one of the smaller ones, also tomb of a noble. Next day we go saqqara to visit Djosers pyramide. The following day Dashur, next day Abusir and the next day cairo museums. Evry day is full xD.

We are all vaccinated and will use that e visum that egypt offers...i hate airports xD

Thank you for your answer. Well the Marriot is already booked so thats fix ha ha.

We have a program running. 12th December we land in egypg. Next day we do the Pyramides. We go into Cheops pyramide and one of the smaller ones, also tomb of a noble. Next day we go saqqara to visit Djosers pyramide. The following day Dashur, next day Abusir and the next day cairo museums. Evry day is full xD.

We are all vaccinated and will use that e visum that egypt offers...i hate airports xD

Excellent. I just updated the post while you were answering with yours, so check it again mostly the end I updated a few of the southern locations which have tremendous Greek influence through the history of Upper Egypt. The distance might be tough to attempt during a week's stay with all the other items I listed. So it depends on what and how much you want to take on. Cheers.

Excellent. I just updated the post while you were answering with yours, so check it again mostly the end I updated a few of the southern locations which have tremendous Greek influence through the history of Upper Egypt. The distance might be tough to attempt during a week's stay with all the other items I listed. So it depends on what and how much you want to take on. Cheers.

What i see as problem is the GEM. They transport lots of items from the old museum to the GEM and i hope its already opened im december or that at least some items will still be in the old museum.

Hello my friend, I have been to MENA HOUSE oberoi many times …. It a wonderful Hotel with a world class view on the Pyramids ….

and based on the trip schedule that you provided …. It is the right choice in the western part of Cairo & Giza ..

the GEM …. there nothing in the news regarding its opening soon …. But let’s hope so .

noting that that part of Cairo is near some modern classy restaurants,Malls and Cinemas in Sheikh Zayed city and 6th of October city ( if you want to explore more about modern Egypt )

I wish you a wonderful vacation.

Hello my friend, I have been to MENA HOUSE oberoi many times …. It a wonderful Hotel with a world class view on the Pyramids ….

and based on the trip schedule that you provided …. It is the right choice in the western part of Cairo & Giza ..

the GEM …. there nothing in the news regarding its opening soon …. But let’s hope so .

noting that that part of Cairo is near some modern classy restaurants,Malls and Cinemas in Sheikh Zayed city and 6th of October city ( if you want to explore more about modern Egypt )

I wish you a wonderful vacation.

Thank you, im really excited and already count the days. :)

When we visit the black pyramid i hope we can also see Fayum. :D

Thank you, im really excited and already count the days. :)

When we visit the black pyramid i hope we can also see Fayum. :D

if you have more time …. You should visit the following:
1- Eastern part of Cairo ( 5th settlement, Madinaty … etc) ( my favorite 🤩)
noting that there are 2 types of people ( ppl who love Eastern Cairo & others who love Western Cairo 😅)

2- Luxur .
3- Aswan
4- Hurghada
5- Sharm Elsheikh
6- Islamic / Coptic historical places in the old city of Cairo .
7- Alexandria ( you will feel nostalgic even if it’s your first time )

if you have more time …. You should visit the following:
1- Eastern part of Cairo ( 5th settlement, Madinaty … etc) ( my favorite 🤩)
noting that there are 2 types of people ( ppl who love Eastern Cairo & others who love Western Cairo 😅)

2- Luxur .
3- Aswan
4- Hurghada
5- Sharm Elsheikh
6- Islamic / Coptic historical places in the old city of Cairo .
7- Alexandria ( you will feel nostalgic even if it’s your first time )

That's the beauty of Egypt, with the incredible history, and the steady influx of modernity.

In due time, when the new capital will be open and completely functional, it will be fascinating because there will truly be two capitals, one old and one new, something that I'm not sure exists anywhere else, MashaAllah.

I also mentioned all the places you did and you're right about Alexandria. The Corniche is one of the best places to be at in the world. The only problem for our friend is he's only there for one week and he really needs 3 months if he wants to absorb 1/8th (lool) of what should be seen. I think he's spending too much time with planned pyramids days activities. Especially if he'll be seeing them out of his hotel balcony all the time! But that's just my opinion. One full day to see the Giza pyramids, go into Khufu and see the Sphinx and later that night catch one of the night shows and that's it. Move on to other places. But 3 days just on pyramids in one week? I understand Sakara is attractive, but once you've seen Khufu (Cheops as it's also named) and the Sphinx, you've seen the best of the best and now it's better to move on from pyramids to see the other vast historical sites.

What i see as problem is the GEM. They transport lots of items from the old museum to the GEM and i hope its already opened im december or that at least some items will still be in the old museum.

It's tough to tell what's been moved or what hasn't yet TBH. Last April with the moving of the mummies marked a milestone, but it was also delayed because of the pandemic and other things, so it's hard to tell unless you've visited the old museum or had someone in the travel industry who is familiar let you know. Your guide and whatever company he's with should give you that information ahead of time so you know.

Despite the trove of treasures in the museum, from Ramses' incredibly preserved mummy to all the golden artifacts to the sculpting and engraving tools they used to carve all the magnificent relief scrolls and drawings and original papyrus paper to so many other incredible artifacts, you'll really need to know exactly what is still there or if it's been moved and maybe there is limited access to the new museum.

Not to deflect, but the UK should get its act together and give us back the Rosetta Stone as well as Germany should send back the statue of Nefertiti's bust, amongst so many other immeasurable treasures that don't belong to anyone else but Egypt. But I digress.

But one thing you definitely do not want to miss seeing (despite his magnificent golden chariot has already been moved) is King Tutankhamun's mask. To me, this is the #1 item that you should have on your list. It is mesmerizing with all the gold and the extraordinary blue lapis lazuli amongst several other gemstones. But the gold workmanship is beyond imagination considering their knowledge of working the precious metals as well as recognizing its value. Also knowing the different ideal temperatures to work the gold as in this case, it was mostly worked on cold. Knowing a lot of this information before seeing it will help you really appreciate it and many of the other treasures, more than if you didn't.

This is a must. If there is anything you need to see in Egypt as a first time tourist, this is it.

1635283852973.png

1635283883732.png

1635283923842.png

That's the beauty of Egypt, with the incredible history, and the steady influx of modernity.

In due time, when the new capital will be open and completely functional, it will be fascinating because there will truly be two capitals, one old and one new, something that I'm not sure exists anywhere else, MashaAllah.

I also mentioned all the places you did and you're right about Alexandria. The Corniche is one of the best places to be at in the world. The only problem for our friend is he's only there for one week and he really needs 3 months if he wants to absorb 1/8th (lool) of what should be seen. I think he's spending too much time with planned pyramids days activities. Especially if he'll be seeing them out of his hotel balcony all the time! But that's just my opinion. One full day to see the Giza pyramids, go into Khufu and see the Sphinx and later that night catch one of the night shows and that's it. Move on to other places. But 3 days just on pyramids in one week? I understand Sakara is attractive, but once you've seen Khufu (Cheops as it's also named) and the Sphinx, you've seen the best of the best and now it's better to move on from pyramids to see the other vast historical sites.

It's tough to tell what's been moved or what hasn't yet TBH. Last April with the moving of the mummies marked a milestone, but it was also delayed because of the pandemic and other things, so it's hard to tell unless you've visited the old museum or had someone in the travel industry who is familiar let you know. Your guide and whatever company he's with should give you that information ahead of time so you know.

Despite the trove of treasures in the museum, from Ramses' incredibly preserved mummy to all the golden artifacts to the sculpting and engraving tools they used to carve all the magnificent relief scrolls and drawings and original papyrus paper to so many other incredible artifacts, you'll really need to know exactly what is still there or if it's been moved and maybe there is limited access to the new museum.

Not to deflect, but the UK should get its act together and give us back the Rosetta Stone as well as Germany should send back the statue of Nefertiti's bust, amongst so many other immeasurable treasures that don't belong to anyone else but Egypt. But I digress.

But one thing you definitely do not want to miss seeing (despite his magnificent golden chariot has already been moved) is King Tutankhamun's mask. To me, this is the #1 item that you should have on your list. It is mesmerizing with all the gold and the extraordinary blue lapis lazuli amongst several other gemstones. But the gold workmanship is beyond imagination considering their knowledge of working the precious metals as well as recognizing its value. Also knowing the different ideal temperatures to work the gold as in this case, it was mostly worked on cold. Knowing a lot of this information before seeing it will help you really appreciate it and many of the other treasures, more than if you didn't.

This is a must. If there is anything you need to see in Egypt as a first time tourist, this is it.

View attachment 787936

View attachment 787938

View attachment 787939

View attachment 787936

View attachment 787938

View attachment 787939

Must say, ancient Egypt had beautiful sculpture ( can it be classified as that ? ). The film Stargate that was set in Egypt had material elements ( decorative elements, head dress, lift, weapons etc ) that I think nicely derived from Egyptian elements like the pictures you posted. One picture from the film :
Stargate.jpeg

763b.jpg

Local people doesnt host in their own city five stars hotels.

It's more useful make this question everywhere else.

Must say, ancient Egypt had beautiful sculpture ( can it be classified as that ? ).

Sure. Sculpture is the best form of labeling what the Ancient Egyptians did with their statues and huge monuments. There are also giant relief sculptures such as Abu Simbel. Can you imagine the task it took to carve out these 4 statues out of a limestone rock mountain for Ramses II?

1635369618846.png

Another one with humans to give it scale.

1635369658854.png

Also, if you read the history behind this magnificent temple, you can see Lake Nasser in the background which used to be the home of Abu Simbel, about 300ft or so below that water and was relocated to that current spot sometime in the late 60's to make room for flooding that Lake Nasser in preparation for the Great Aswan dam.

The way they cut Ramses' head to move him was incredible. Talk about a great feat of engineering.

1635369866315.png

The film Stargate that was set in Egypt had material elements ( decorative elements, head dress, lift, weapons etc ) that I think nicely derived from Egyptian elements like the pictures you posted. One picture from the film :

Great flick. They use the jackal a lot as guards with special weapons and you'll see that figure in many movies like Night at the Museum and others. Most important of all the jackals figures was Anubis, the god of death, mummification, embalming, the afterlife, cemeteries, tombs, the underworld.

1635370542904.png

The jackal was also a revered animal and portrayed in many sculptures as just that. Pets to the kings and queens etc.

1635370952752.png

In Stargate, they mostly use Horas who was the falcon god revered for his flying abilities and he was used by the most powerful of gods in Ra, the sun god. In Stargate they took the likeness and used the head of the falcon on top of an impressive head dress with laser weapons and things like that. They certainly sensationalized it quite a bit.

1635371207797.png

Sure. Sculpture is the best form of labeling what the Ancient Egyptians did with their statues and huge monuments. There are also giant relief sculptures such as Abu Simbel. Can you imagine the task it took to carve out these 4 statues out of a limestone rock mountain for Ramses II?

View attachment 788200

Another one with humans to give it scale.

View attachment 788201

Also, if you read the history behind this magnificent temple, you can see Lake Nasser in the background which used to be the home of Abu Simbel, about 300ft or so below that water and was relocated to that current spot sometime in the late 60's to make room for flooding that Lake Nasser in preparation for the Great Aswan dam.

The way they cut Ramses' head to move him was incredible. Talk about a great feat of engineering.

View attachment 788202

Great flick. They use the jackal a lot as guards with special weapons and you'll see that figure in many movies like Night at the Museum and others. Most important of all the jackals figures was Anubis, the god of death, mummification, embalming, the afterlife, cemeteries, tombs, the underworld.

View attachment 788203

The jackal was also a revered animal and portrayed in many sculptures as just that. Pets to the kings and queens etc.

View attachment 788205

In Stargate, they mostly use Horas who was the falcon god revered for his flying abilities and he was used by the most powerful of gods in Ra, the sun god. In Stargate they took the likeness and used the head of the falcon on top of an impressive head dress with laser weapons and things like that. They certainly sensationalized it quite a bit.

View attachment 788206

Thanks for the info. To cut Ramses' head was it all done by Egyptians or was there assistance from the USSR ? And isn't "Ramses" a Western name for the Egyptian ruler ? If so what is the native Egyptian name ?

I am a cat person so I am interested in the cat side of Egypt. Many years ago I read that once a Roman soldier in I think Cairo killed a cat somehow and the native Egyptians killed him.

Also, that last picture of Horas : That conical head dress reminds me of the head dress of a Semitic deity called Baal :
Baal_Ugarit_Louvre_AO17330.jpg

Back
Top Bottom