What's new

Another shah bano case:HC judgment on ‘talaq’ raises eyebrows in Kashmir

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
HC judgment on ‘talaq’ raises eyebrows in Kashmir
Valley’s Grand Mufti calls for a meeting of religious scholars to discuss the verdict

Ishfaq Tantry
Tribune News Service

Srinagar, November 1
The judgment by the Jammu and Kashmir High Court on the “validity and absoluteness” of talaq (divorce) has sent Islamic clerics and religious scholars in the Kashmir valley into a tizzy. They have now called for a meeting to discuss the judgment threadbare.

The high court while interpreting the Islamic Sharia law had ruled on April 30 that a husband’s power to pronounce talaq was “not absolute”. The court had held that divorce was the last resort and could be administered only after the husband had exhausted other options.

The Grand Mufti (chief cleric) of Kashmir, Mufti Bashir-ud-Din, has decided to convene a meeting of prominent religious scholars to discuss the judgment and its ramifications on Muslim marriages and divorces. The cleric has urged the people to not react over the judgment till a decision is taken by scholars.

“It is a very delicate issue which involves the court and the Islamic Sharia law. Before commenting on the judgment, I have called for a meeting of religious scholars and Ulema to discuss the matter,” Mufti Bashir-ud-Din told The Tribune.

He said he had requested for an authentic copy of the judgment, adding that he could not rely on media reports alone and needed to read the judgment himself before reacting over the issue.

The Grand Mufti said the Islamic Sharia law was clear and prudent as far as the rights of a husband and a wife and divorce matters were concerned.

Meanwhile, city-based organisation Islamic Dawah Centre, which runs an Islamic marriage counselling centre in Srinagar, in its statement, has said that the high court verdict is “not fully in compliance with the well established principles and commandments” of the Islamic Sharia.

“It will create more problems rather than solving them and will create a very unhealthy atmosphere of disputes and disturbances in the Muslim community,” the statement read.

“It is deplorable that attempts are being made to bring the holy Quran and Sunnah to reconcile with the feminist views by saying that pronounced talaq of a husband will only be applicable if the husband has a valid reason or a genuine cause of pronounced divorce,” it said.

The judgment was delivered in a divorce case involving Mohammad Naseem Bhat and Bilquees Akhter.

Bilquees had had initially come up with an application in the trial court seeking maintenance. However, the husband had resisted the application on the grounds that he had divorced her and was not under any obligation to pay maintenance allowance.

The trial court had ordered a monthly maintenance to the woman, which was set aside by a review court. Subsequently, the review court order had been challenged before the high court, which upheld the earlier trial court order.

Court verdict

The high court in its judgment on April 30 had ruled that a husband’s power to pronounce talaq (divorce) was “not absolute”, observing that it was the last resort which could be administered only after he had exhausted the other options

While interpreting the Islamic Sharia law, the court held that a husband could not wriggle out of his obligations under marriage, including the one to maintain his wife, after claiming to have divorced her

The court held that it was only after the husband had proved that he had exhausted all the options of reconciliation that the talaq would become valid and the marriage between the parties would stand dissolved.

The court said the husband should have a valid reason and a genuine cause to pronounce talaq on his wife in the presence of two witnesses.

===========================================

Another shahbano case in making.Hope this time idiot congressi politician dont come under pressure but alsas.its gonna meet the same fate of shahbano case.

oopps posted in wrong section can somone move it to central/south aisa or kashmir section

To all the unbelievers-

payment of maintenance in Islamic system is covered by "Mahr"-
which btw is an obligation before the "Nikkah" (Marriage)- most of the muslim people of SA mainly Pakistan- Bangladesh- India does not follow this obligation- i say its "cultural" belonging to specific region not religion- it has nothing to do with Religion-

In other Muslim countries- such as Saudi Arabia- other Gulf Countries- Malaysia etc- Deciding "Mahr" before marriage is taken as an obligation-

So i agree with Splurgenxs here- fcuk the Islamist mullahs of SA-

To all the unbelievers-

payment of maintenance in Islamic system is covered by "Mahr"-
which btw is an obligation before the "Nikkah" (Marriage)- most of the muslim people of SA mainly Pakistan- Bangladesh- India does not follow this obligation- i say its "cultural" belonging to specific region not religion- it has nothing to do with Religion-

In other Muslim countries- such as Saudi Arabia- other Gulf Countries- Malaysia etc- Deciding "Mahr" before marriage is taken as an obligation-

So i agree with Splurgenxs here- fcuk the Islamist mullahs of SA-

y is it u ppl are so selective in borrowing from this culture....... u borrow wat benefits u and wen it comes to respecting the same culture u ppl are more rigid than the wahaabis...

so dont shift the blame to SA culture

y is it u ppl are so selective in borrowing from this culture....... u borrow wat benefits u and wen it comes to respecting the same culture u ppl are more rigid than the wahaabis...

so dont shift the blame to SA culture

you talking about human nature here- every religion has people- infact them are in majority which follows one aspect of religion and ignore the other depending upon their cultural preferences- i am sure you can find personal examples of it in your every day daily life- so i m not sure what you talking about- in this case blame does falls on SA culture-

AJTR - Perhaps you can educate me as the religious angle is something which stumps me - Read this news yesterday - My understanding about the gist of the case is this.

1. There are 3 types of Talaaks and the judge interpreted that the one of the Talaaks - issued once between the menstruation cycles and followed by a waiting time is the preferred one as per Koran.
2. The issue of Talaak is not just men's forte as Koran does not distinguish between man and woman and is applicable to either of them.
3. Divorce is the last resort after other options have been exhausted.

Beyond this I do not understand the beneficial aspect for a woman. Is there something else I am missing here.

AJTR - Perhaps you can educate me as the religious angle is something which stumps me - Read this news yesterday - My understanding about the gist of the case is this.

1. There are 3 types of Talaaks and the judge interpreted that the one of the Talaaks - issued once between the menstruation cycles and followed by a waiting time is the preferred one as per Koran.
2. The issue of Talaak is not just men's forte as Koran does not distinguish between man and woman and is applicable to either of them.

Beyond this I do not understand the beneficial aspect for a woman. Is there something else I am missing here.
go to utube type Zakir Naik n watch his videos abt this subject.
He is a Indian Gujrati Muslim. I guess u will believe him more then us.
He has talked abt this n other issues in great detail with logic.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Ha ha ha Zakir Naik. God gave you brains so that you DONT believe charlatans like him. Utilize God's gift to you.

Thanks!

That fraud Televangelist is no authoritative figure among Indian Muslims.He is not even an Islamic scholar.His degrees are in Modern Medicine not in Islamic studies.

Thanks!

That is a genuine question addressed to ajtr wanting to understand things. Maybe some members can address it but I am not going to waste my time searching on youtube.

Thanks!

LOL , we hate that guy. These are some of his views

1) Death for homosexuals
2) Death for Apostasy
3) 9/11 was committed by George Bush
4) India should be ruled by Shariah law
5) Naik says that propagation of other religions within an Islamic state is forbidden while he appreciates people of other religions allowing Muslims to freely propagate Islam in their country. Naik explains this by saying that, for example, mathematics teachers must teach that 2+2=4 and not 2+2=3 or 5. Likewise, Naik argues, “regarding building of churches or temples, how can we allow this when their religion is wrong and when their worshipping is wrong? Zakir Naik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^
Wow , what did I just read? , so basically , we should allow muslims to practice their religion , and in return , we get nothing because we are "wrong". This guy is just an average extremist , non violent nonetheless. Such cockroaches are a cancer to society and I really hope that most Indian muslims don't agree with the stuff he teaches. So yeah , I guess that conveys my point. I believe you , or anyone else way more than him.

Though i'm not an an expert voice on islam as i'm new entrant still in transitional phase.This is what i came across

Talaq
Submission (Islam) and Divorce from Quran
Talaq (Divorce) General Rules « The True Religion
Iftidaa

Back
Top Bottom